• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to use instead of newspaper?

Hissy_Fit

Meeting neighbors
Southern California, United States of America
Currently, I have newspaper lining the bottom of my bird's cage, but he's figured out that he can reach down and eat it. I'm worried that he'll eat ink or something, is there a safer alternative to lining the cage?

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I personally like to use newsprint paper (also called packing paper). It's basically newspaper but without any ink on it. You can usually buy a big pack of it at Staples. They come in big sheets that I cut to the right shape for the cage, and then I use the little left over strips for the play gyms and floor and such. Or I just put the extra paper strips on the bottom of the cage for my tiels to shred. Indy will go so far as to chew the corners off and bury himself over the strips of paper as though he's building a "nest." :lol:

I started using newspring/packing paper because I got annoyed trying to separate the black inked parts of the news paper from the colored inked pages. Usually black ink is totally safe, but colored ink I don't trust. Now I just keep using the newsprint/packing paper because, for one, I'm not subscribed to a print newspaper, and, two, it has a nice clean look to it.

I hope this helps. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I use unprinted newsprint from quill.com. Vital for poop monitoring. I could never be sure with newspaper. For 10 years I bought it at 85.00 for 50 lb. in the last two orders it has only been 51.00!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use unprinted newsprint from quill.com. Vital for poop monitoring. I could never be sure with newspaper. For 10 years I bought it at 85.00 for 50 lb. in the last two orders it has only been 51.00!!
Do you need to buy different sizes or just buy one size and cut to fit?

@Hissy_Fit I also use plain white paper towels for some of the cages.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Do you need to buy different sizes or just buy one size and cut to fit?

@Hissy_Fit I also use plain white paper towels for some of the cages.

No cutting required! It comes in several sizes. I buy the 18 x 24 and use it for everyone. It’s nice and thick paper. For padding cages if needed I use uhaul paper.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I buy the Uhaul unprinted newsprint. Fits both of my cages pretty well with just a single fold over :)

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I use newsprint roll that I get from Amazon - also bought the dispenser.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have lots of different sized cages and no cutting or folding with the computer paper. I know that some cages take 3 double sheets, some 4 and some 5.

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
Computer paper or the unprinted newsprints seem to work. Lots of different ideas. I always try to layer the black & white side up on Baby's cage liner. Sometimes paper towels work. He actually has a paper towel at the bottom of his cage folded with shredded printing paper because he likes to hang out there.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I do not get a daily newspaper - could always get them free from others - but so many ads and most of it I could not use in the cages. Much cheaper for me to just buy a roll of newsprint and be able to cut it to the size I need for each cage. The roll was about $32-$34 - and my first roll lasted me almost a year.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I buy the 24x36 packing paper/blank newspaper from international plastics, but I'm checking out quill.com. ;)