• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to pack for the zoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
Well, I'm bored, had nothing to do this weekend, and haven't been to the zoo in forever, so tomorrow I'm off to the local zoo. I just don't know what gear to bring! I have a Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III, Canon 50mm f/1.8 and Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro. I know I won't be taking the 50mm. I know I will be taking the 75-300mm and although it's regarded as the worst lens Canon makes, hopefully it will serve me well for what I need it for. I think I want to take the 100mm macro for it's overall sharpness, macro capabilities, and large aperture. I think it will come in handy in places/situations where the 200-300mm range isn't needed, and since the lens is so sharp I can always crop the pic to provide extra "zoom." Now comes the dilemma. I can fit one more lens in my case, or my 430EX II flash. I'm not sure if I should take the 18-55 for wide angle landscape and scenery shots (the zoo always has great scenery) or the flash (not sure if I'd need one, but I've never done photography at the zoo) or neither, to lighten the load, since I'll have to carry around all day. I'm also not sure if I should leave the 100mm since it is so heavy and adds so much of a load and I already would have the 100mm covered by the 75-300mm. :confused: Sorry if I confused anyone :lol: but I'd love some help on this, and any other zoo photography tips. I can't wait to go there, hopefully I can get a pic of the hawk-head they have there :laughing12: I will post the pics as soon as I get them edited and uploaded.

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
How far is the parking lot from the zoo? Leave the flash and/or extra lense and the sandwiches in the car..and come back for them later.
Do you have a backpack? It is always easier to carry stuff on your back, and it leaves your hands free. Remember extra batteries..and another memory card if it is a digital camera.
Looking forward to pictures. I have never been to a zoo that had a hawkhead.:dancing:

Sigrid

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
If you want really top-notch pics of big cats, I always advise hanging a small roast around your neck...

hsmoscout

How far is the parking lot from the zoo? Leave the flash and/or extra lense and the sandwiches in the car..and come back for them later.
Do you have a backpack? It is always easier to carry stuff on your back, and it leaves your hands free. Remember extra batteries..and another memory card if it is a digital camera.
Looking forward to pictures. I have never been to a zoo that had a hawkhead.:dancing:

Sigrid
Thanks for the backpack idea. The parking lot is relatively close to the zoo, but the zoo is HUGE.

hsmoscout

Well today's the day! :dance4: I've printed out a map, circled the exhibits I want to be sure to see, and written down feeding times. I'll be sure to try my best get some hawk-head pics for Titanis and some anole pics for Saroj! :rofl:

sewing4eight

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
We have a nice zoo here- I love to take pics....just not too good at it. I look forward to seeing pictures also!

Status
Not open for further replies.