• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to look for in a rescue amazon?

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
You should have been a con man. :D No I'm sorry. I mean you should be working for a rescue. That is exactly the kind of thinking person they need.
I want to volunteer for a rescue but the only two near me are fake. They just con people into surrendering their pets in order to flip them and their cages for a healthy profit i'm pretty sure. :bored:

I can't take the credit for this approach though lol, another member here suggested i insist on seeing them interact with their birds. I do understand that even a friendly bird might be weary of this 6 foot 4 strange hairless ape the first time they see it lol. An even somewhat friendly or socialized bird however should have no problem interacting with it's owner.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Man this is an annoying process :hehe: View attachment 250845
Hiya Base!

Any news? I saw someone besides me mentioning beaks, I remembered reading something, somewhere about being careful to check in the jointed area of their top & bottom connection areas. I believe it was for a whiter then the skin area, may have been scab, scale or crusted. To avoid the bird for purchase, adoption especially if you already have birds.

I cannot remember what/why. Maybe someone knows & can explain the specific thing. I only remember it can be passed between birds. Sorry I am not more help here.

I'd check their water bowl too! (Should be clean with clean) :dishes:

This whole thread makes me so sad. My heart aches!!!

I read, recently about... Poor birdies, released into the wild after being unwanted companion parrots. I want to say it was a magazine like "Forbes" of all places! It was sad too. I will leave out all the graphical stuff. I want to say the issue was in TX & CA states but it was like a month ago.

Just checking in :)

:gbh: Rain

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Just got done with a 5 hour trip to and from.....somewhere in texas lol. I already forgot the name of the town to check out a craigslist birb that from teh get go seemed to be owned by a real bird lover who was genuinely ultra concerned about where she would end up. I met her, she was really sweet, i forgot to look at poop for health but she was eating a good diet and seemed well taken care of for the most part, she was super sweet and seemed to take a liking to me and it's official! I'll be bringing her home in a week or two. I want to build a play gym and get the rest of the cage stuff i ordered in the mail before i bring her home, sanitize and clean some stuff just to be safe, have all my ducks in a row.

So without further ado, here's the zon I finally decided on.

*Drum roll................................................*

output1.jpg It didn't end up being a zon at all! I really wanted an amazon but this felt right. She's a 2 year old bronze wing pionus named Aurora, but doesn't know her name so I'll probably name her something stupid and silly like i've done all my pets. Her sex isn't confirmed, they call her she, i'll get her sexed eventually and just do what i can to avoid hormonal times. I was REALLY hoping to get a mature adult and avoid the horrors of birdy puberty but I"ll just have to deal with it. She was clearly very nervous around me at first but after fruitlessly offering treats he got her to step up easily and from his hand she instantly stepped up to mine. Climbed up to my shoulder eventually and just hung out for like 25 minutes, eventually making some contented chattering, she really seemed to warm up to me, then she wanted to go back to her dad eventually. Cant' wait to bring her home! Unlike almost all the scumbags i've dealt with on craigslist, i had a good feeling about these two, i could have taken her home today but decided to just give them 100 bucks to take down the ad and consider her adopted. It's entirely possible they're going to rip me off but i really didn't get that impression from them at all. The guy definitely knows his birds and he really cares about that bird. That's a terrible photo of me in the background there.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Pionus parrots have many similarities to Amazons, so it should be a great fit. Bronze wings are usually great companions with unique colors, too. Good luck and congrats!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's a 2 year old bronze wing pionus named Aurora, but doesn't know her name so I'll probably name her something stupid.

I was REALLY hoping to get a mature adult and avoid the horrors of birdy puberty but I"ll just have to deal with it....

:ballerina: :yes4: :yah:

:congratsbig:

Finally! I am so happy for you!!!

& ...

Pionus parrots have many similarities to Amazons, so it should be a great fit. Bronze wings are usually great companions with unique colors, too. Good luck and congrats!
I just read a bit on pionus parrots & it sounds like your ears may be pleasantly surprised! They're supposed to be quieter than Amazon's too! She looks as tho the chest feathers are a pretty peach/orange color.

I'm hoping to move a rack next to the cage. Once Buddy gets moved to the main room of our house. They look like this.

Then he could use it as a play & perch placed area. If you have the room it may work for you too.

Just a random thought TeeHee!!!

:gbh:Rain

Attachments

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Hmm, that would certainly be less work than a pvc play gym! I'll think about it!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm, that would certainly be less work than a pvc play gym! I'll think about it!
Random thought #2
I thought about the black one... If the bird has access to the whole thing/more then one shelf, maybe the silver one would be better. Anyone else's thoughts?

Concern about paint + poisioning...

I have both types, plus one that is ancient, silver but I believe maybe pure metal. Pretty sure there is some rust. The shelves are not adjustable tho!

Yes, not pretty, but I thought could be a ton of fun climbing between shelves etc... For Buddy! I just hope I have room!

Also, I am preparing fresh 2 times a day, & packing & clearing an estate... Contemplation of building toys...

:laughing7:
Just to relax!

:hug8: Rain

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Random thought #2
I thought about the black one... If the bird has access to the whole thing/more then one shelf, maybe the silver one would be better. Anyone else's thoughts?

Concern about paint + poisioning...

I have both types, plus one that is ancient, silver but I believe maybe pure metal. Pretty sure there is some rust. The shelves are not adjustable tho!

Yes, not pretty, but I thought could be a ton of fun climbing between shelves etc... For Buddy! I just hope I have room!

Also, I am preparing fresh 2 times a day, & packing & clearing an estate... Contemplation of building toys...

:laughing7:
Just to relax!

:hug8: Rain
Took my first stab at building birb stuff out of pvc.
IMAG0168.jpg
The one on the right cost me about $2.50 the one on the left about $9.00. It's actually a ton of fun to make stuff out of pvc! I"m so building a huge play gym and all sorts of stuff out of it now that i know how to work with it. These were just the test runs. The one on the left will be the training perch.

Also her/his name i think willl be Gamura.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Beautiful. Pionus are wonderful birds. Just ask my Andre. He will tell you that he's my baby.