• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to feed a mouse bird?

Tanith

Moving in
Real Name
Tanith
Hi all. I'm Tanith From East London. I had a lady drop off a baby mouse bird this afternoon after finding it in her yard. It really is quite small. No visible injuries and has an apatite. I'm just not quite sure what food it needs besides fruit? I fed it some bannana earlier and then some AV plus. But from my past experiences they don't live well on just that? Can anybody advise? It is a very sweet little bird-loves to be fussed over and loves a scratch. I really don't want it to die.
Thank you.

Attachments

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
There used to be an AA member here that had a pet mouse bird! If you go in the search field, maybe you can find some of her posts? I can't remember her name or I'd tag her. But I know she had some wonderful posts about diet/enrichment!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your bird is adorable. I've heard they make wonderful pets.

Tanith

Moving in
Real Name
Tanith
It is already taming to me. It follows my voice on hops up all the way to my neck. Just hope i'm doing this right as it seems pretty lethargic right now.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Alet knows about mousebirds but she hasn't been on recently.
Cute little mousebird, btw. Thank you for helping him and hope he will be OK.

Adam87

Moving in
Hi Tan....

I found a mousebird a couple weeks ago and they are awesome little dudes to take care of!!!
I took banana and pear, mushed it up and fed it to him through a syringe, you can add some orange to make it a little more liquid for him...I promise he'll love it!!!
If you can, take him out and put him in a bush in a sunny place and just watch how he fluffs himself up and basks in the sun and how and hops from place to place-SUPER CUTE!!!!
Your bird seems a little larger/older than the 1 I found so dont be skittish to let him roam around the garden...they're actually very smart and inquisitive little birds!!!!

HAVE LOADS OF FUN WITH HIM....

Tanith

Moving in
Real Name
Tanith
Hi all! he's doing very well! off of the syringe and loves berries and paw paw. He loves attention and cuddles! Thank you all so much, I believe he'll be okay :)