• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to do with a 40 gallon breeder?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
So we have an extra 40 gallon breeder tank that’s empty and my son was looking for ideas as to what he could do with it? What kind of reptiles he could put in there(we know we can do fish, but he kind of wants something different) help?!?

Mammals, reptiles, ect?

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Id use it for convicts as for reptiles no ideas never owned them you could do mice to

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hmmm... I think I read somewhere that you can keep a bearded dragon in a tank that size, but I'm not sure on that. You could probably have a very happy leopard gecko, or maybe a community of 3 or 4 frogs or toads? Hermit crabs could be fun. Or, if you turn it on it's side and build a screen door for it, you could have 3 or 4 Australian green tree frogs, since they love height.

My only experience is with Pacman frogs, which are great but you could only have 1 per tank because they are highly cannibalistic. And with pacmans, it would be wasted space since they don't move much.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Hmmm... I think I read somewhere that you can keep a bearded dragon in a tank that size, but I'm not sure on that. You could probably have a very happy leopard gecko, or maybe a community of 3 or 4 frogs or toads? Hermit crabs could be fun. Or, if you turn it on it's side and build a screen door for it, you could have 3 or 4 Australian green tree frogs, since they love height.

My only experience is with Pacman frogs, which are great but you could only have 1 per tank because they are highly cannibalistic. And with pacmans, it would be wasted space since they don't move much.
What kind of frogs? I thought most frogs liked height?

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
He fell in love with the mice at petsmart but i read its bad to have nice in a glass tank because it’s not enough ventilation?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Leopard gecko, a small snake (I think garters are under appreciated!), mice, gerbils, etc.

Depends on what he likes and available equipment/money to buy new equipment. A 40 breeder is a good size for a lot of things.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He fell in love with the mice at petsmart but i read its bad to have nice in a glass tank because it’s not enough ventilation?
I think it is more that Mice like to climb and need a lot toys too, and attaching those on to glass is a little more difficult. And with a tank, you have to reach in from above to get them out which they percieve as threatning. Also, a tank that is not adopted doesn’t have enough ventilation but I have seen people who keep mice in fish tanks with replaced tops, so air can circulate.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
What kind of frogs? I thought most frogs liked height?
Most frogs do, but some are terrestrial like dart frogs, pacman frogs, tomato frogs and bullfrogs. Then there are toads, marine toads and cane toads are favorites of mine even though I'll probably never have one because they're so big. I think most if not all toads are terrestrial.

If you want a high action pets, frogs won't be for you. Most like to hide during the day and come out at night. At least, I know pacman frogs are that way. Dart frogs are a bit more active, I think.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
You could get axolotls. They re aquatic, though. But they are definitely different and pretty cool! I also know you can keep quail in aquariums, but i don't know how good it would be for them, I havent done any research on the topic. Mice would need an open lid. Leopard geckos are easy to care for, and only need 10 gallons each. Maybe turtles?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why not a plant jungle? You will find many tutorials on you tube on creating and caring for large terrarium. I used to keep salamanders in one.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
You could get axolotls. They re aquatic, though. But they are definitely different and pretty cool! I also know you can keep quail in aquariums, but i don't know how good it would be for them, I havent done any research on the topic. Mice would need an open lid. Leopard geckos are easy to care for, and only need 10 gallons each. Maybe turtles?
We have two leopard geckos, so I think he wanted something a little different. Anyone have any info on blue tongue skinks?

The mice would have an open lid if we did that, since that’s what we had leopard geckos in before we separated them.
He wanted a tortoise at one point, but they eventually get big and I’d be scared to let it outside with my dogs once it got bigger.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Leopard gecko, a small snake (I think garters are under appreciated!), mice, gerbils, etc.

Depends on what he likes and available equipment/money to buy new equipment. A 40 breeder is a good size for a lot of things.
Snakes are out since my mom has scared my daughter into thinking they are bad :banghead:

We used to have ball pythons and people refused to come in my house because of it.

I’d love to get my hands on a banana ball python, Kenyan sand boa or western hognose

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
We’ve also considered giant and super giant leopard geckos (I know there’s controversy on that one) as well as leachies (but my word they are expensive!)

I’m not sure if he wants to do aquatic so I’ll have to ask him if he’s interested in turtles or axolotls

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
That would be a bit tight for a blue tongue Skink but there are other smaller skinks that you can look into for it. African fire Skink or a pink tongue Skink comes to mind.

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
The pink tongue Skink is definitely a cute one! They are becoming more popular so they can be found a little more easily.