• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what the...? bubbles ontop of my betta fish's bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George

LovieLuvr

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
It's a bubble nest! I always got really excited whenever my bettas would make bubble nests. My favorite (and first) betta, Wolverine, lived for 6 years and would always have the biggest bubble nests. :D

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Bettas are supposed to be kept in large tanks but with lots of dense, thick hiding places. They don't do well in large open space and they are slow moving fish but it doesn't mean they 'require' a small bowl.

GypsyWitch

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lynn
Bettas are supposed to be kept in large tanks but with lots of dense, thick hiding places. They don't do well in large open space and they are slow moving fish but it doesn't mean they 'require' a small bowl.
There are no hard and fast rules about size requirements for bettas. It's not black and white; there's a lot of grey area and there are no absolutes.

When I had my 20 gal tank set up, it was a live planted tank with heat, filtration, low currents and lots of thick foliage and hiding places. The parameters were checked weekly and adjusted if needed. It was home to a small group of docile male guppies, two cory cats and three male bettas (at different times of course). It was beautiful. None of the 3 bettas did well in it. I racked my brain trying to figure out why they always seemed so stressed. Once I moved them back to a 1-2 gal they were happy as clams. And they lived long, healthy lives.

That doesn't mean all bettas won't like large tanks. It was just my experience that showed mine were unhappy in that setup. And it also doesn't mean all bettas do well in smaller setups. Just because something works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone else...

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:

There are no hard and fast rules about size requirements for bettas. It's not black and white; there's a lot of grey area and there are no absolutes.

When I had my 20 gal tank set up, it was a live planted tank with heat, filtration, low currents and lots of thick foliage and hiding places. The parameters were checked weekly and adjusted if needed. It was home to a small group of docile male guppies, two cory cats and three male bettas (at different times of course). It was beautiful. None of the 3 bettas did well in it. I racked my brain trying to figure out why they always seemed so stressed. Once I moved them back to a 1-2 gal they were happy as clams. And they lived long, healthy lives.

That doesn't mean all bettas won't like large tanks. It was just my experience that showed mine were unhappy in that setup. And it also doesn't mean all bettas do well in smaller setups. Just because something works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone else...

Bettas are solitary fish, they thrive ALONE. Not just the only betta in the tank but usually the only fish in the tank. There are some exeptions for this rule as I have had a few with other fish with no problems but most of the time its best to keep them alone. Also if you research on *quality* web pages most will say a 5 gallon is perfect for a single betta (heated and filtered) you'll also see that anything really taller than a 20 long can actually cause stress to the fish due to them coming to the top for air. So again if you find the quality sites that have done their research you will see that it is pretty black and white. Its just like goldfish in bowls its a old way things were done that were obviously incorrect. :)

GypsyWitch

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lynn
Bettas are solitary fish, they thrive ALONE. Not just the only betta in the tank but usually the only fish in the tank. There are some exeptions for this rule as I have had a few with other fish with no problems but most of the time its best to keep them alone. Also if you research on *quality* web pages most will say a 5 gallon is perfect for a single betta (heated and filtered) you'll also see that anything really taller than a 20 long can actually cause stress to the fish due to them coming to the top for air. So again if you find the quality sites that have done their research you will see that it is pretty black and white. Its just like goldfish in bowls its a old way things were done that were obviously incorrect. :)
And the debate rages on...we will just have to agree to disagree on this. The method and environment in which I raise my fish/birds/cats/dogs/kids will be different from yours and most others...that doesn't make it wrong or incorrect because you or anyone else disagrees or read it on a "quality" website that did research to support their theory and/or agenda. There are many different methods that end in the same result...a happy, healthy fish/bird/cat/dog/kid...

Status
Not open for further replies.