• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What species is this?

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can anyone identify this species of conure ? I thought it might be half moon but it’s lacking the blue on top of the head. The thought occurred that this might be one of those unfortunate conures that's been bleached.

Sorry - I was trying to upload the picture from my phone and it failed. Picture attached now.

Attachments

Last edited:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Maybe it's just not loading for me but I don't see a picture.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks like a peach fronted conure. I´m not 100%.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The owner said the top beak is a light color, so I'm leaning towards half moon (peach fronted), but it's missing the blue on top of the head. My thought was that it had been bleached. The current owner doesn't know what it is, but says he's had them for about 6 months. I would expect at least some of the bleached feathers to have been replaced by now, but I don't really see that. It's a mystery.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Monica is very knowledgeable about conures. She may know.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@BrianB I would say you are correct, on all accounts. :( Bleached parrots often have shorter lifespans but here's hoping the bleaching hasn't harmed them enough to cause any damage to their health.

Conures and other similar sized parrots are often bleached to look like "baby yellow headed amazons" so that they can be sold for more...

Kodigirl210

This is very, very sad. I wonder why people don’t believe birds are smuggled into the US all the time? SMH :bash:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was interested because half-moon conures are hard to find here in Phoenix. I have a pair, but I believe they are the same sex. I was going to do DNA tests on them today anyway. On the pair I posted above, something just didn't look right. The seller said he bought them that way, and has had them for 5 - 6 months. The seller he got them from was supposed to send DNA certificates, but hasn't. A lot doesn't seem to add up, so I will pass on purchasing them. Thanks for the advice. Everyone here is always so helpful with questions like this. I appreciate it.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@BrianB. there is an aviary in Texas that sell half moon conures. I got Valentine from there, she was shipped from Texas to Virginia with no problems.
www.tdaviary.com

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
There also a store here in San Diego though I won’t vouch for them.

Baby Bird Nursery - Tropic Island Bird and Supply
I know them. I was going to sell chicks to them last year, but they offered me half of what a local store did and I would have had to drive there to drop them off. They did have a nice selection of birds when I was there but I don’t make it to San Diego that often.

Kodigirl210

Ah I see. I drive back and forth between Phoenix and San Diego more than I want to lol. My sister lives there so we go to visit. I tend to not think of Phoenix as far away. I’ve probab done the drive a couple hundred times at least lol. :blink::huh::shifty:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah I see. I drive back and forth between Phoenix and San Diego more than I want to lol. My sister lives there so we go to visit. I tend to not think of Phoenix as far away. I’ve probab done the drive a couple hundred times at least lol. :blink::huh::shifty:
It's not a bad drive, and I love going to San Diego to get away from the summer heat. When I compare what I would get for chicks in San Diego at half of what I would get locally, it's just not worth 10 hours in the car.

Kodigirl210

Oh yeah. Nothing saying about money. I just find I don’t think about the drive much anymore as I have made it so many times. If it was about profit that would be a consideration but since it’s family the cost is a lot higher when you excuse yourself due to the drive LOL