• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What should I do?

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Hi, I saw this Craigslist post for a 2 year (!!!) old African grey, and from what I could tell he is not in the best place. It really does seem like someone impulse bought him, and got tired of dealing with a parrot.

Anyway, what should I do? My family's always wanted an African grey ('one day'), but I don't know if we are ready now. I mean, we were going to bring our canary-wing parakeet home on the 30th! Not to mention we are already pretty maxed out on animals.

I would hate for him to be rehomed to a pet flipper, or some other impulse buyer on Craigslist however. Should I get him and foster him for a while? Bring him to the bird rescue near my house? Try to find someone who wants a grey myself?

Thanks in advance:)

But seriously, who gets an animal that can live for 60 years, and only takes care of them for less than 2 years??! Ugh.​

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
I think the key here is you saying you are not ready plus your new bird will be coming soon. I've heard to many horror stories about Craig's list. Although your heart is in the right place yu have to think of your family first. If he has health issue that's a big commitment both emotionally and financially

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
It doesn't sound like a good time for you to take on the responsibilties involved with adopting that Grey with so much for you to deal with already. You might notify the local bird rescue and let them know about the Grey. Certainly, if you know of someone ready and able to give the parrot a good home, you could tell them about that Grey.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Someone may feel obliged to give him a good home. It can also be a scam.