• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What next for cockatiel training?

Pensfan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
Hey everyone, thanks in advance for some ideas here!

Jabberwocky is now a little over three months old and we have had him for three weeks (today!). We have been clicker training him every other day or so (a single command 10-15 mins at a time) and he is great with stepping up, stepping down, jumping to shoulder, and come here (targeted with a finger tap and command).

What would be a good next step for Jabberwocky? We want to play with ring/stack toys and to train him for "so big" with his wings spread out eventually. I am not sure if that is the next step or is that too big of a leap. Any ideas?

So Big - I am thinking of three stages:
  1. "wings" - touching his wings and getting a finger under them
  2. "wings up" - me gently holding his wings out, for inspection, etc
  3. "so big" - flaring and holding his wings out for show

Not sure at all how to go about ring/stack training. I will be scouring the yahoo clicker training group soon.

Thanks!

So big like this:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sounds like you're doing really well with him!!:dance4:I think training him to let you file his nails, take juice from a syringe, and wear a harness would be great and helpful things to teach him.:)

Pensfan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
Sounds like you're doing really well with him!!:dance4:I think training him to let you file his nails, take juice from a syringe, and wear a harness would be great and helpful things to teach him.:)
Thanks! He is doing really well; and we are being very patient haha. I think the nails and harness are great next steps. He is very recently weaned off of formula from a syringe, although he still gets 2cc's a night more as a comfort and bonding routine for the next 2 weeks or so according to his avian vet. Would the juice just be a treat for him?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I have always like shake, wave, nod and shake head "no". If you can find subtle clues for last two you can use it around friends by asking questions and getting bird to respond to the subtle cues. Essentially blowing your friends' minds

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thanks! He is doing really well; and we are being very patient haha. I think the nails and harness are great next steps. He is very recently weaned off of formula from a syringe, although he still gets 2cc's a night more as a comfort and bonding routine for the next 2 weeks or so according to his avian vet. Would the juice just be a treat for him?
I didn't know he was still being fed, I only mentioned juice to make it more enticing for him to take something from a syringe so when he needs meds he can take the meds on command without being toweled. Water would work too.

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Firstly, I LOVE the name of your bird. Also your profile picture is so adorable! What kind of mutation is he? Seems like training is going well and you are forming a bond. So cute :heart::heart:

emzymayzy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
my 2 budgies do the wave and spin the male in the pic if i say up he steps up his cage handle and if i say down he gets down. they touch certain toys on command for a treats they go to bed when i tell them its bed time and trying to teach them stretch at the moment. I might start giving uploading bird videos on youtube for the first time ago tomorrow

:budgieyf: alfie
:budgie3:trixie

to come in a few months :tieln: and:tieln: