1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What made you get a second conure?

Discussion in 'Conure Court' started by PierreRenoir, 10/8/19.

1. PierreRenoir

PierreRenoir Moving in

Mallory
    Hello everyone, thank you for being so welcoming on this board with my previous post, still new to this thing forum and to the whole bird owning thing in general, so need advice from more experienced owners.

Lately I have been thinking about my Green Cheek Pierre and whether he would benefit from a friend (another conure - I am thinking maroon-bellied, black cap, or a pineapple/turqouise or pineapple-turquoise). When I first got Pierre, he was very happy playing with other green cheeks his age in the flight cage. Then again, I believe some of them were probably his hatchmates, but I don't know for sure.

For those with multiple conures, what made you want to get a second conure? I am worried that it may negatively affect my bond with Pierre or that he may become upset or jealous. What was your experience? I'm reading a lot of mixed experiences online.

faislaq likes this.
  2. BeanieofJustice

BeanieofJustice Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Steph
    Bump!

3. Yoshi&Raphi

Yoshi&Raphi Rollerblading along the road

Raphi
  4. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award SUPER HERO

Karen
    We got our second (and third) green cheek as a companion for our first. While our first still preferred the company of humans, he had someone to preen him and to play with when we weren't home. They did have to be separated at night though, as our first would attack his cagemate after lights out. :(

The cagemate came from a home where we were told the kids would hit his cage and he was quite afraid of people. An added bonus of getting a companion for our first, was that the fearful bird became braver and bolder in their adventures together. :heart:

@webchirp @SandraK @Lwalker @Parakeet88

Last edited: 10/8/19
  5. Annie's Mommie

Annie's Mommie Walking the driveway

Anita
    Our first, Jesse, was actually found in a parking lot by a lady who tried to find his "parents". No luck, so we adopted him. Vet believes he is a little over two and galf years old. Faith and Hope, who are now 8 months old, came to live with us the end of April. They all get along great. Sometimes the boys will get into a brief tussle, but nothing big. I expect they both want Hope for a mate. No, not yet!!!
    They all preen each other. And have been sleeping together for months. They are out of their day cages most of the day, but only Jesse flies for now. Faith has a few short flights, so no more outside on my shoulder for that little stinker.
    I would not hesitate to get another bird, if I were you. I would get a younger bird, just from my experience with Jesse. We did get another male that was older after we got Jesse. Jesse picked on him relentlessly, so we found an experienced conure owner to take him. Jesse has done great with younger birds. Good luck!!! morning nap.jpg

Yoshi&Raphi, Leih, webchirp and 3 others like this.
  6. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Oh so cute all 3 cheekies cuddling.

When they are babies they play with clutchmates or those they are raised with.

When they are older it is sort of a gamble that your bird will bond with another bird or a bird you adopt will like your bird.

Sometimes they do & sometimes they don't. Sometimes they fight pretty bad & they will always need seperation.

Some birds are not quite aware they are birds & seek out human companionship above a bird.

I would think bringing in a young one of the same species could help them get along.

I tend to think all birds benefit from having another bird in the house even if they want nothing to do with it I think it still could afford them some comfort when you go to work etc. Still it could be a constant source of frustration if they think the other bird is going to steal you from them.

Penny & Rio almost totally ignore each other & seem almost unaware the other is a few feet away...Its strange but actually I am happy as its better then them being upset/ Penny knows Rio is there & she will talk to me or him not sure but when Rio is doing something bad & I am messing with his cage she says
    "Step Up" So in some way she is either telling him to step up or is observing & commenting & thinks I want him to step up..Shes so smart!!!

Who knows what goes on in there heads. Birds in the wild have flocks & for some territories & are not wanting or accepting of outsiders even in there species.

Monica, PierreRenoir and faislaq like this.
  7. webchirp

webchirp Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Chandra
    Every bird is different. Me, I just love them and some just need a place to be.

Maks is supposedly six months now and he doesn't get along with the others. I am his friend and he so far seems happy with that. So there were no bonds created or shifted with anyone bringing him home. Just expect the worst and hope for the best. Maui is not as interactive with me now that she has Zia but she follows Zia and then I get to snuggle them both or save them from the Maks bird.

8. PierreRenoir

PierreRenoir Moving in

Mallory
    For some reason, I feel this is the case with Pierre. He really loves mine and my bf's companionship, and I swear he walks around and mimics our behavior more than he even tends to fly. My concern is that he will think the new bird will be competing for my attention. Although I do love how close we are, I feel Pierre considers me a "mate" which I know is bad. The other day my boyfriend was leaving for work, and Pierre was on my shoulder. My bf leaned down to kiss me, and Pierre flew at his face and attacked him. Even after my bf left, he was irritated with me and was biting me on the lip and my finger :( I took this as a bad sign, like he was angry with me for showing my bf affection.

That's so cute about the "step up" thing! I don't want to deprive Pierre of the enjoyment of having another bird around, and I do work a standard 9-5 day right now. I hope at some point to work from home, but I don't know when that's going to happen. I also really enjoy taking care of him and spending time with him and would love to just have another bird in general.

camelotshadow and faislaq like this.
  9. Leih

Leih Rollerblading along the road

Leih Pearson
    I love the baby pic you have of Pierre! So cute! I have one conure, a black capped, and a lovebird, and two linnies. 4 birds and 3 cats is a full house for me, otherwise I'd love to get a second conure and a second lovebird. (Although my lovebird would likely not accept another lovebird, she's pretty fiesty.)

faislaq and PierreRenoir like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)