• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Kind of Nuts Do Your Birds Like?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He won't eat pistachios (he used to) or pine nuts. He just turns his head away if I try to offer him anything but an almond. :rolleyes:

At least those are good for him!!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

At least those are good for him!!

Yes, I know but they get boring. It used to be that if he had an almond in the morning he didn't want another at night and there was no other nut/treat I could give him.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mine like the pine nuts in parrots treasure toys, almonds in the shell, and pistachios.

I heard Secret loved peanuts in shell but because of the fear, she's never gotten them at our house.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
None of mine would eat Brazil nuts and I don't think macadamia either. I don't buy walnuts because I don't like them and the bf is allergic but maybe should try them. I don't think I've tried hazelnuts with them.
try grating them finely on soft foods the only way mine will touch them.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine eat all nuts, but they prefer walnuts and almonds. The reason for that can be that I often only give them these nuts, :D for Omega and Calcium.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He'll eat peanuts too but i try not to get him mixes with them because I'm scared of aspergillis.
Please don't give him that. Asper is a terrible disease. :( You don't want to lose Leto.
I'm proud to say that Akela don't know how peanuts taste, and Eliy that was given them (in her first home) have been tested negative for Asper, thank god!
I will never give mine peanuts, they are not nuts and so healthy and they can be dangerous for them.
I didn't mean to lecture you, I only care for you and Leto. ♥

truste

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
My GCCs like peanuts (though due to their potential danger, the only peanuts they get are the ones in nutriberries), and Fizz loves pine nuts, but Roca won't touch them. I haven't noticed them liking any other nut.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I have given Ella only Almonds and Cashews thus far, she loves both. :)

Peppo

Sprinting down the street
Paco only likes pine nuts, he will not go near any other nut. I grind some almonds in his chop for calcium sometimes, if he finds a bigger piece he will throw it out.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please don't give him that. Asper is a terrible disease. :( You don't want to lose Leto.
I'm proud to say that Akela don't know how peanuts taste, and Eliy that was given them (in her first home) have been tested negative for Asper, thank god!
I will never give mine peanuts, they are not nuts and so healthy and they can be dangerous for them.
I didn't mean to lecture you, I only care for you and Leto. ♥
I've only accidentally bought the mix with peanuts once. I know they are very dangerous. The rescue who had him before me used to feed him peanuts. They told me he loved them :(

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Kobe's favourites are almonds, walnuts and pistachios in that order.
Ollie loves cashews best but will eat walnuts and maybe the odd pistachio.
Bobbie likes cashews and walnuts.
Chico loves pistachios and to a lesser extent, cashews and walnuts, but has recently discovered pine nuts! :eat:
Peanuts are banned - I already have a bird with Aspergillosis.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My Chirp loves loves loves almonds. But he'll only eat them if they're chopped into teeny pieces. I made a treat mix once with walnuts, almonds, and millet that I would occasionally sprinkle over his food or put in a little bowl of it's own, and he'd go absolutely bonkers on it. Almonds are a rare treat now, but sometimes I'll grind up an almond and sprinkle a little bit over his mash :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
ME. That is my birds preferred nut followed by pistachios, my husband, almonds, pecans, walnuts.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The rescue who had him before me used to feed him peanuts. They told me he loved them :(
The same with Eliys first owner. And they did not believe me when I told them how dangerous it was feeding them. :(
ME. That is my birds preferred nut followed by pistachios, my husband, almonds, pecans, walnuts.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: And your HB on third place! :embarassed: