• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of nail file can I use?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Most vets require a full yearly exam to just do the nails which can be pricey and not totally necessary.

Dr Scott does not require the full works to be done just for grooming but if you want to run labs, he will do that and his prices are much more reasonable and the grooming is a fair price also so keep that in mind

Scott E. McDonald
Thank you! When he comes to Illinois the drive would be about 45 minutes one way for me but if I can't find anywhere else closer to go, that's a great option to have. Thank you.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Let him destroy a bunch of those emery boards and keep conditioning him. You didn't really expect this to just happen right?

You think an emery board is scary. Wait till you fire up that high pitched whizzing dremel. :lol:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Let him destroy a bunch of those emery boards and keep conditioning him. You didn't really expect this to just happen right?

You think an emery board is scary. Wait till you fire up that high pitched whizzing dremel. :lol:

Lolol! Somehow I imagined I would be able to!:wacky: :rofl: I will give him a few to have to his own devices. Thanks for the tip!!

I think my vet actually offers a wellness plan that includes as many groomings as you need plus like 1 or 2 bloodwork/gram stains a year and some other stuff. I will call them tomorrow and see if they still have that plan available.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I just looked on their website and it looks like it's still available. You get all this with a wellness plan for a small bird (larger birds are a little more expensive)

Comprehensive Physical Exam
- Complimentary Exam
- Fecal Test
- Mouth Smear/Gram Stain
- Complete Blood Count
- Unlimited Grooming (Beak, Nail & Wing Trims)
- Optional Chemistry Panel
(Does not include optional items) Yearly Plan Cost: $263.40
Total Retail Value: $295.45

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Still high prices. Which vet is this? Not all vets are created equal :hehe: and ones are not knowledgeable/worth the money spent. You want only Scott or Sakas. Becker down in Kankakee seems to not be taking on new patients any longer. She knew birds, even rehabbed the wild life such as hawks, but looking at the website, not sure if the other 2 vets she has in her practice now deal with birds.

Scott lives in Clarendon Hills, IL

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Still high prices. Which vet is this? Not all vets are created equal :hehe: and ones are not knowledgeable/worth the money spent. You want only Scott or Sakas. Becker down in Kankakee seems to not be taking on new patients any longer. She knew birds, even rehabbed the wild life such as hawks, but looking at the website, not sure if the other 2 vets she has in her practice now deal with birds.

Scott lives in Clarendon Hills, IL
This is Dr Sakas.. i know it seems a little expensive but if you think about it - one nail trim costs anywhere between like $5- $15.if I were to go monthly that would be $60 at minimum a year.

Then you get 2 exams and gram stain, mouth smear, chemistry panel, cbc and fecal smear. That's totally worth it to me. Plus, you can pay monthly instead of a one time payment if that's more convenient. I think that's a great deal!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Avian vets aren't cheap.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
When I have gotten a new bird, that full exam with Sakas ran me $800. Granted, a Macaw but that still was a lot of money. If there is a medical issue going on I would not hesitate in using Sakas. For just the nails and occasional blood work, I do Scott, especially with him on the road so much, you can't go waiting around for him to be back in town so things get covered both ways.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Wow, $800. I thought my first visit that was $540 was alot. o_O I will keep Dr Scott in mind but I would like Blu to get an exam too because I've been stressing about his feathers for a while now. They seems kind of spread out at the tip instead of being fully zipped and his molt has been going on for like 6 months straight. I think he's okay but I just want to make sure. Thank you so much, Renee!

20170320_075921.jpg

Last edited: