• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of nail file can I use?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm feeling a little ballsy and would like to atleast try to file Blu's nails myself. I was wondering if there's any specific kind of file that's better than others? Or more importantly, if there are any to stay away from? Is stainless steel best? Or can I just use those sand papery emery boards?

I am hoping to try tomorrow or on the weekend. He lets me play with his feet a little so I'm hoping I could get away with doing a tiny bit each day. They grow soo fast! He just had them clipped 2 months ago and they seem to be irritating him already.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm watching this thread too. I'd like to try.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I personally use the glass nail files on my nails. I won't use them on a Macaw because they could grab them and break them easily but on the smaller birds, if you have a bird that allows you to play with their feet, I would use one of those.

My sister used to sell them which is why I knew about them but where to buy one now, I am not sure. Google is my friend and see if you can locate one near you.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm feeling a little ballsy and would like to atleast try to file Blu's nails myself. I was wondering if there's any specific kind of file that's better than others? Or more importantly, if there are any to stay away from? Is stainless steel best? Or can I just use those sand papery emery boards?

I am hoping to try tomorrow or on the weekend. He lets me play with his feet a little so I'm hoping I could get away with doing a tiny bit each day. They grow soo fast! He just had them clipped 2 months ago and they seem to be irritating him already.

It's one thing to play with feet. It's a way different thing to approach the feet with a new scary object they've never seen before. :lol:
You'll still need to do some desensitization.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I ordered professional emory board from Amazon that are black and 10 in a pack. Because Murphy is so young I was advised to file and not cut. A friend held him in a small cloth and I filed each tip easily. Might do this instead of cutting in the future.

We played with the file first and he stood on I like a perch.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I personally use the glass nail files on my nails. I won't use them on a Macaw because they could grab them and break them easily but on the smaller birds, if you have a bird that allows you to play with their feet, I would use one of those.

My sister used to sell them which is why I knew about them but where to buy one now, I am not sure. Google is my friend and see if you can locate one near you.
Interesting! I've never heard of a glass nail file! I will have to check that out for myself, for sure, and then if this becomes something I'm actually capable of I will use it for Blu too.

*I have a feeling my sudden courage is partial insanity.Lol.:rolleyes:

Thank you for the suggestion!

It's one thing to play with feet. It's a way different thing to approach the feet with a new scary object they've never seen before. :lol:
You'll still need to do some desensitization.
You're probably very right about that! :roflmao: (See above response)

In my mind, I'm picturing a smooth quick proccess but in reality....he will probably bite the emery board, and/or me, and run away screaming.

I will try to desensitize him first. :idea:Thanks so much!

I ordered professional emory board from Amazon that are black and 10 in a pack. Because Murphy is so young I was advised to file and not cut. A friend held him in a small cloth and I filed each tip easily. Might do this instead of cutting in the future.

We played with the file first and he stood on I like a perch.
It's great that you're starting early with Murphy! Nicely done!

Thank you!! :)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I had a cockatoo who I taught to let me file his nails. I used Emory boards, and I would say "Let me see your toes!!" He would then let me file a nail for a piece of nut. He would let me do each nail for about 3-5 seconds. It helped a lot, but only if I did it every day. Good luck, you can do it!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I had a cockatoo who I taught to let me file his nails. I used Emory boards, and I would say "Let me see your toes!!" He would then let me file a nail for a piece of nut. He would let me do each nail for about 3-5 seconds. It helped a lot, but only if I did it every day. Good luck, you can do it!
Thank you!

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
@Macaw Lover I get my glass files from Walgreens
Now that would be an easy place to get them at.

With regular emery boards you are only supposed to file in one direction but with the glass ones, it does not matter and for ladies who use the fake nails, these files are safe to use on them.

They also came in different sizes. 3.5" for the purse, 5.5" is the 'regular' size and then you have the pedicure one which is thicker and longer and are great for diabetics who have the dry skin/callouses and need to be extra cautious with their feet and avoid cuts due to the disease and you cannot 'feel' what might be happening to the feet.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Would the pedicure one be better for use on parrots @Macaw Lover ?

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'

Would the pedicure one be better for use on parrots @Macaw Lover ?
For a 'Zon size bird, I think it would be better for you as it is wider and thicker (not as easy for your baby to grab on and try to break), especially if you have to towel to get the job done. Now if people have a smaller size bird, and/or one that sticks the footsie out to file away, the 5.5" one would be just fine.

I am a believer in these nail files so if you can get a set of all 3 sizes, I say go for it because you will use them yourself also, not like they would go to waste. I personally have several around the house, in the van and even in my bike bag.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I use the metal ones and emery boards. They both work. You can include touching the feet in clicker training to get them somewhat used to an object coming towards them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Something else you can do is just stick down a sheet of sandpaper in the bottom of a cardboard box and let them scratch around in there. Gets the beak too. Well sharpens it anyway. :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I tried it today but didn't get anything accomplished. His pupils dialated and he tried to bite the nail file.

I maaay be able to get him conditioned to it but that's going to take a very long time. I almost want to buy a dremel but that probably wouldn't go over as smoothly as I'm imagining either.

Time to call the vet for a grooming appt :rolleyes:

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
After this time maybe try a pedicure perch or two. You might have tried that already though.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Time to call the vet for a grooming appt :rolleyes:
Most vets require a full yearly exam to just do the nails which can be pricey and not totally necessary.

Dr Scott does not require the full works to be done just for grooming but if you want to run labs, he will do that and his prices are much more reasonable and the grooming is a fair price also so keep that in mind

Scott E. McDonald

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
After this time maybe try a pedicure perch or two. You might have tried that already though.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just bought a brand new one yesterday. He already has one in the cage but he goes through lots of hoops to make sure he never goes on it. I'm going to try to install the new one up higher on the outside of the cage and hope he likes it better than the old one.