• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of hackamore is this?

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
Wondering because i am planning to experiment on my horse to see which one she rides in better. Our friend let us borrow their hackamore but I'm not exactly sure what kind it is! It almost looks like a sidepull because of the triangle-looking piece attached to the noseband. I just want to make sure it is not mechanical ( I think it would need to have a chain, right?) or something on the harsh side that i would prefer not to use. Any thoughts? Has anyone had experience with some sort of bitless? Everyone seems to have a different opinion as far as i know. :)
4f7d59ac-38e2-4cc5-85c2-005ac1eb012b.jpg 20160426_153952.jpg 3739fea1-b650-4b1d-aadf-ef8082fe0a76.jpg

Thank you!!:hug8:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I always wanted a horse as a child but guess I was blissfully unaware of how much work & technical it could be.
@Doublete trains horses so maybe they could help.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
It's a plain old sidepull. Might as well put a rope halter on and tie leads on both sides. :)

Seriously though it's very easy on them. NOT good for stopping. Only turning in circles. What purpose are you trying to achieve? Why do you feel you need a gentle bit or want to try bridle less? Some horses actually go very well in hackamores. But they're not really meant to be used for anything but riding (care must be used when you lead he horse etc). They are very gentle on the horse.

I would rather ride in a happy mouth snaffle on any of my horses and use a soft hand but that's me.

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
It's a plain old sidepull. Might as well put a rope halter on and tie leads on both sides. :)

Seriously though it's very easy on them. NOT good for stopping. Only turning in circles. What purpose are you trying to achieve? Why do you feel you need a gentle bit or want to try bridle less? Some horses actually go very well in hackamores. But they're not really meant to be used for anything but riding (care must be used when you lead he horse etc). They are very gentle on the horse.

I would rather ride in a happy mouth snaffle on any of my horses and use a soft hand but that's me.
I'm actually doing a science experiment on it. I've never ridden bitless, always had a bit, but I've heard that horses sometimes relax riding bitless. I'm looking for something that can stop her quickly if absolutely necessary. Thanks for your advice!!:highfive:

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I wouldn't say this is your best option.
A true hackamore is a better choice if you want. But from the sounds of it try it in a fenced arena please.