• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of Activity for this one?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, I've had Cricket 6 months now, making her 8 months old. She is SMART and knows quite a few commands -- but doesn't have a good 'stay' and still jumps all around and on people. She also pulls on the leash... so we have some work to do yet. :)

I had intended to do agility with her, but she's afraid of loud noises so that will probably never be her job. Plus she is still afraid of car rides. She needs something to run off all this spaniel energy. Walking twice a day is not enough.

She seems to smell what is wrong with people - when my daughter fell on her knee she laid beside the knee, when I got my sinus infection she was sniffing my nose.

I thought maybe tracking, or therapy (the kind where we would go visit people in the hospital - I realize we have to learn some manners first)... it is very sad that cockers can't be S&R dogs because I was willing to put in the time and effort.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't know how she would do with animal therapy because she might not react well to certain things in convalescent homes or hospitals. Depends where they take her to test her for certificate and where they do the training. I was thinking of doing that with my dog but he tends to bark at wheelchairs, noises and other things and they are supposed to be able to go to a variety of places. He also can be fearful of things and it's not always predictable. Never know when there might be some loud noises in those places or something that your dog will fear. He has improved but not enough to participate in animal therapy.

I knew someone who took their dogs to a library setting for a few weeks to work towards the certificate and then the dogs were tested although I don't remember where. I think one passed and one didn't. Know of someone else who did well during the training but then they took the dog to the hospital for testing the dog failed. Tried again and same thing happened. Nose work might be something to consider. If not for search and rescue then for the challenge and the fun.

However, all that being said (written) your dog is only 8 months old and you can continue to work with her on the fears and obedience so maybe you can do animal therapy.

BTW, what kind of collar or harness do you use. There are some that help with pulling such as the Easy Walk Harness and the Head Halter.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One more thing...check out the Nina Ottosson problem solving toys. Do a search for them. They have different levels of difficulty. Dogs have to figure out how to get the treat/s.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks for your thoughts.

I have been using a LONG retractable leash for our walks, with a harness. I know that gives no control whatsoever. It is my first time using one of those, as my dog was attacked in 2005 while on a 6-ft leash --the pit mix attacking dog was on a flexi lead which he just kept pulling out...so I always sort of blamed the leash... but in this neighborhood that's what everyone uses.

I also switched from one training book to another, and the new one says use a choke collar and 6 ft lead. So I do have that, I have left it on her around the house so I can grab/pull if she goes toward the bird, etc. all per his instructions. Have only walked her on that one a couple times, as I feel so cruel. She pulls - pulls - pulls and doesn't let up; I'm afraid she will damage herself.

In the past I did a lot of foster work and used an over-the-nose halter for one of them. Had not thought of that until just now.

I know she can be trained out of some of this... just trying to choose a direction. Or something. Things are not really working right now.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would try the Easy Walk or over the nose instead of the choke and shorten up on the leash. Are you doing clicker training? Stay can take a long time. Keep close distance when you work on stay and then slowly move back as Cricket gets better at it. Did you post a photo of her? All I see are two broken images.
My Lagotto, Kosmo, does better with stay in training class than at home. Was able to put him on a very long lead and walk away and he would just stay put even with distraction by the trainer. Haven't tried that outdoors in the neighborhood because I am concerned about other dogs suddenly coming at him. Inside our home I don't put him on a leash to work on stay but the trainer suggested doing that, at least for awhile.

I also had something happen with my Bichon being attacked by a Rottweiler so I am a bit paranoid about strange dogs. Hope your dog was OK. Geordie was wearing a protective collar because he recently had eye surgery and that saved his life. He did have some wounds both physical and psychological but those healed over time.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
We were doing clicker training. Somehow we've stopped. I don't like the choke so haven't used it much. Guess I need to work on my consistency.:bash:

Today I took her out in the yard with only my maltese along (fewer distractions, sort of ) and we really worked on STAY with me being right by her ... I didn't move away... I think she gets it except she tried to high 5 and that is when I realized I use the same hand signal for stay and high 5. :rofl:

I also had something happen with my Bichon being attacked by a Rottweiler so I am a bit paranoid about strange dogs. Hope your dog was OK. Geordie was wearing a protective collar because he recently had eye surgery and that saved his life. He did have some wounds both physical and psychological but those healed over time.
WOW that is truly amazing!
My dog was ok.... he won a prize for the craziest haircut at the next Corgi picnic.... the vet cleaned out the wound and stitched him up. The dog got him by the throat first, but I grabbed him and pulled so it let got and re-gripped on his back. Otherwise he might not h ave made it. I fought the dog for him for awhile. Next time I would do it differently, you just don't know what to do!

Psychologically it ruined us both for walking. I am still a little nervous, but not like I was.

Trying for the photo again....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your cocker spaniel is very cute! Thanks for reposting the photo. She looks very happy.

It's great that your dog was OK after that attack. It is so scary.
The Rottweiler attacked Geordie outside of the canine opthamologist's office. He was going to have stitches removed from his eye where he had cherry eye removal surgery. It had gotten out of its collar and grabbed Geordie by the neck and wouldn't let go. Kept shaking him. The owner (turned out to be the parent of the owner) could not get the Rott to release. People came running out of the vet's office and tried everything to get the Rottweiler to release Rott but no go and then finally a vet tech kicked him and he released. The Elizabethan collar protected Geordie's neck but he did have some wounds. He was not the same for several days after the incident. I had to take him back to the opthamologist to get the stitches out since she didn't do the procedure after what happened. He started crying when we got close to the office.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks! She is a happy girl, although sometimes bored and looking for trouble.:laugh:

Wow how scary for both you and Geordie! I am so glad he was ok, poor baby. I have heard that rotties get zoned in once they bite down, and normally you CAN'T kick and cause them to let go....so you were very lucky.

I've actually had 3 rotties and mine were big babies. :( So I hate to hear such stories.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I have a lab mix that pulls. Otherwise she is a perfect dog.

I use a Herm Sprenger pinch collar when she starts getting particularly difficult with pulling. I really like them, with two caveats: First, you MUST make sure the collar is properly attached. The prongs are rather hard to cinch (and I have strong hands), so always double check. Second, at least one vendor on Amazon is/was selling fake knockoffs, stamped the Herm Sprenger name. The metal is cheap, poorly machined, and the edges are rough. They will cut the dog's neck! I SCREAMED at Amazon for sending a cheap fraudulent fake for my second dog after we were pleased with the first collar. Not sure Amazon cared at all, and they also declined to post my review. I had very good results with the Solid Canine Training (K9??) videos, Jeff (Geoff??) Something-or-other.

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I would ditch the harness and flexi and put her on either a flat collar, martingale, Gentle Leader or a Weiss Walker. Short 6 foot leash. She's rewarding herself by pulling and going where SHE wants to go.

Agility may help her gain some confidence.. even just taking some classes are fun for both you and her, and a good bonding experience! There's also nosework, barn hunt, rally, etc., a whole bunch of sports are out there!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Get yourself a (pedal) bike and run that dog for 45 minutes every day and you will see a huge change in temperament. They need to burn that energy to calm the mind and you could probably use the exercise.

A simple human walk to a dog is like "crawling". It does nothing. A dog needs to run. Run hard and run long. That is what they are made for and that is how you get a handle on behaviour.

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
For a puller ditch the long leash and harness. It will only make things worse. Use a max 6 foot leash and a martingale (not a choke collar!) or an easy walk style harness. It hooks in the front and is great for pullers. It looks like she a cocker spaniel from the pictures. This is a great time to get her socialized to all sorts of situations. I don't like to generalize about dogs, but cockers tend to be fearful about certain things and it can get worse as they get older.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
definitely ditch the long leash
I volunteered at a shelter as a dog walker for a year. we used a regular collar and 6 ft leash.
we were taught that when a dog kept pulling ahead of us to quickly turn and walk the other direction right away. repeat repeat repeat.
sometimes it felt like I was a ballerina twirling, but only briefly. It was amazing to see how untrained dogs would figure it out pretty quickly.
I was impressed with the technique.
I also think you should return to doing the clicker training.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Teach the "heel" command....use a short leash. If she pulls stop and have her sit, "heel" and then start walking again. You can lengthen the leash and do loose leash walking and if she pulls have her return to heel or stop sit and then start again, rinse (just kidding) and repeat. Have you taken her to any obedience classes or just doing this on your own. Sometimes helpful to have a trainer and get another viewpoint and ideas from someone who is working with the dog.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Ribbit21 Yes American Cocker - I didn't know they tended to be fearful. Thanks. I had a great one, rescued from a shelter. He is the reason I got this one.... I was told he was 18 months but the vet said he was really, really old lol. Just a fantastic dog.

@MommyBird I just remembered that technique yesterday! (Turn and walk the other way). It made her pay attention - which I desperately need her to do when we're outside.

@iamwhoiam This is just by myself. I haven't taken her to a class...kept waiting on my friend who also wanted to go to class, must've been just kidding. We never went and now there's not another one til January. She's getting spayed tomorrow- dog, not the friend -- but I am searching for another class. We both need it.

I used to belong to a wonderful dog training club. We worked our dogs every week - tons of fun and really good dogs... I was young and energetic then. And just wanted to show for obedience.

So. I need to learn to ride the bike with her (that is scary, she might wreck me)... find the clicker, teach heel, use the regular leash. Maybe use a martingale or Gentle Leader. Walk more through the day. Perhaps take classes in agility or 'other' to find what her "job" will be. All good dogs need a job. :D

Thanks!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Not every dog is made for running, but every dog is made for working. So find something to do that suit the both of you. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks @Jeddy and @Eloy . I'm still hunting for the right "job." She likes fetch but does not love it. I don't think she'll do flyball, frisbee, or agility (will try all but just guessing based on her personality).

I am still working on manners. She does a good job with commands, but gets too excited and loses her manners around other people, dogs, and especially if she can smell the bunnies in the yard.And barking at the neighbors at all hours (she goes out the doggy door) that has GOT to stop. They will turn us into the neighborhood police. For real. The other 2 need out the door -- but I end up blocking it to keep Miss Sillyhead from barking at midnight, 3 a.m., 6 a.m. Sheesh! :dog3:

I have given treats to some friends, and if we are on a walk and they approach and she sits for them (instead of jumping on them) she gets a treat. I increased our walks from 2 to 3 per day, just short ones. Can't ask her to go biking or running as she was spayed last week.

Hid some kibble around the house without comment, and she found it easily. So I hid some in a stuffed toy with a lid. She had to figure out to PULL the lid not PUSH down toward the treats. That one took awhile . She enjoys hunting for things. She still has a lot of fear though; she barks at stupid things and was really afraid of some tree limbs piled by the road tonight. :walkdog1:

Last week we worked on good manners while being groomed or while just hanging out on the leash. This week we're going to QUIT BEGGING when people are eating. Or perhaps not grabbing the cockatiel when she randomly finds one flying through the house. :tmsmakesme: Sorry that was a miscommunication between me and hubby, we both thought the other closed the bird cage. Torrie was ruffled but not hurt.

The fun part of all this (not the bird but the other stuff) is, we are developing a great relationship while we work on these things. She's starting to know what I want. And she's very vocal so that I know what SHE wants. :rofl: Uh, that's why I was feeding her at 2:30 a.m. :faint: She is a full time job.