• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is wrong with his nose/beak?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It looks like the bacteria may have come from the sprouting seeds. This is what Avian Medicine has to say about the source of enterobacteria - http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/33.pdf Page 951

I don't feed sprouted seed for the same reason JLCribber doesn't.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hope the meds work quickly and he is back to normal soon!

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I went through something similar with my parrotlet and ended up doing oral meloxicam (anti inflammatory) and actually nebulizing the antibiotic to make sure it got to the respiratory tract. If there hasn't been exposure to new birds it would have been pretty shocking to be psittacosis. Did the vet do a nasal flush and culture off of what came out?

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
the vet took a culture from his nose and from the inside of his beak/nose and send in a feaces sample. outcome of both samples was an infection with Enterobacteria

his nose wasn't getting better during the AB cure, someday it looked good, the other day it would be red and/or dirty again.
i contacted a well known avian vet per email and send the test results and pictures to her.
she sent me some nose drops to use, she told me that only AB in the drinking water isn't enough when he has a nasal infection going on.
i have to drop his nose daily for 3 days, and then another drop every other day for 5 times.

yesterday was day 3, his nose looks very good now! no redness or swelling!
I'm very happy.
i have to keep the birds seperated during the cure (no contact at all) and maybe start another AB cure after the nosedrop cure.
hope they will be ok after that!