• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is this white feather thing? Is it a preen gland or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Paris has had it for at least a few months that I've noticed. I thought it was just a rogue feather but I'm wondering if it might be some other strange thing or a preen gland?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im pretty sure thats her preening gland.

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
That's around where it is... if its the preen gland then it is infected or impacted. I think you may have to get her to a vet =[

melissa28546

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
That looks like a normal preen gland to me. That white feather is like a little oil disperser to help the bird preen. It's normal. With some birds the white feather is more noticeable than others.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
First what amazing photgraphy, if I tried to photograph a preen gland - well it would never turn out like yours did.

Sometimes they dip into that oil up their feathers :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am pretty sure what you are seeing is what is called the wick for the preen gland. I dont think it looks infected. There is a pretty good picture on this site of what an infected preen gland looks like Diseases of the Uropygial Gland

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you all. When I first noticed it I was kinda freaked out about it, but it doesn't bother her, so I thought it must just be a weird feather. Good to know!

I also appreciate the link and the photography comment. :D

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
how did you get her to stay still and the feathers to stay parted just right? :huh: Great pics!
ETA: Ohh, weird and neat! I just googled "preen gland" in images, I didn't know it could be so easy to see! Are there any birds that don't have it? :huh:

Last edited:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
how did you get her to stay still and the feathers to stay parted just right? :huh: Great pics!
ETA: Ohh, weird and neat! I just googled "preen gland" in images, I didn't know it could be so easy to see! Are there any birds that don't have it? :huh:
Ha, she was preening so I grabbed the camera when I saw it...I just stood around for 5 minutes.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Amazon parrots, hyacinth macaws, pigeons and woodpeckers to name a few don't have that gland. Not sure how they protect their feathers.

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Both my ekkies have it. When I first saw it on Mister, I wondered as you did...but yep...it's normal

Flit

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
Heheh, yep, that's what Boo's preening gland looks like, too. :D I really wish I could take awesome photos like that as well.

Also, Pionus don't have preening glands, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.