• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video What is this noise?

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen

So, he has been making this sound since I got him. The guy I got him from said he never made this sound before. Is this something I should be worried about? I have never heard a bird do this.

I have a vet appointment this Thursday to have him checked out.

I actually work at a vet (we only see cats & dogs) - one of my vets said she worked at a place that had lorikeets free flying & this was a normal sound. I’m not so sure.....
What do y’all think?

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I'm not sure if it's normal or not, but I do know that's the quietest noise I've ever heard a lorikeet make :lol:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m not sure either but I do think it’s very cute :)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hmm...usually they are quite vocal. So I'm not exactly sure. How long have you had him?
It's body language tells me it checking out its environment, being cautious.
That said, my zon knows how to talk in whispers. She whispers things, quite funny actually.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hmm...usually they are quite vocal. So I'm not exactly sure. How long have you had him?
It's body language tells me it checking out its environment, being cautious.
That said, my zon knows how to talk in whispers. She whispers things, quite funny actually.

Burt only whispers “rah” (sometimes), I love it when birds whisper.... it’s so cute.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Burt only whispers “rah” (sometimes), I love it when birds whisper.... it’s so cute.

Isn't it though!! Poppers is the first bird I had that whispers full sentences. What does burt mean by rah when he whispers? Keep whispering back at him...you'll be surprised one day.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
How long have you had him? Can't say I've heard any of the baby rainbow lorikeets I've played with over the past 4 years. Could he be mimicking something you have using? Like a spray bottle?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Hawk12237 If the dogs get too close to his cage I would send them away and tell Burt to tell the dogs to shoo and then when they would turn to walk away from the cage area I’d make out I scared them off by saying “rah”.
Then when he was scared of the sparrows and butterflies (anything flying really) outside the window I got him to see they were no problem by getting him to stay with me and shoo them away and we would make scary sounds (again rah) at them.
He started doing this with his wings out once he understood that rah was a noise that I used to startle my mother or kids for fun when they didn’t realise I was in the room.
He now makes the rah sound at things he is unsure of, doesn’t like and sometimes just for fun at me.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Though not a lorikeet, this is very reminiscent of the sound my pionus makes when she sees something new and is checking it out/warning it.

Lorikeets are also great mimics. Maybe he's repeating back a sound he's heard, like a spray bottle, as Brian suggested.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 If the dogs get too close to his cage I would send them away and tell Burt to tell the dogs to shoo and then when they would turn to walk away from the cage area I’d make out I scared them off by saying “rah”.
Then when he was scared of the sparrows and butterflies (anything flying really) outside the window I got him to see they were no problem by getting him to stay with me and shoo them away and we would make scary sounds (again rah) at them.
He started doing this with his wings out once he understood that rah was a noise that I used to startle my mother or kids for fun when they didn’t realise I was in the room.
He now makes the rah sound at things he is unsure of, doesn’t like and sometimes just for fun at me.

That is hilarious! He has his techniques. Like a quite little lion.
Sometimes I let poppers stay up a little longer than usual. I'll ask...want to go nite nite or stay with daddy. She'll respond stay with daddy. Then I whisper...ok, but you have to be quite everyone is sleeping. She'll respond back...whispering ...are you tired? Me, I say whispering, ...no, so give me a kiss and sit up here on shoulder and watch movie with daddy. She gives me a kiss and climbs up to shoulder.
So when it's time to go in bird room, she'll hop off shoulder and proceed to her favorite spot on her cage....I'll say, whispering, did you forget my kiss?? She'll run back over climb my arm give me a big smooch, then hop down and back to her spot. Smart bird she is.

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
Vet said all was well with Valentino. No URI. I was so worried. That noise was nothing I have ever heard from a bird so I naturally thought he was sick.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It does sound like a spray bottle! Totally adorable. So glad he is well.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
It reminds me of the quacking sound my gcc makes when she's putzing around happily