• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent What is this dark purple spot on papel towel?

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Guys! I found these dark purple stains on the paper towel? Is it blood? What could it be? They appeared somewhere from yesterday to today. There is no feces around, just these spots.

Cockatiel is active as usual. Poop looks normal. What could it be?

Attachments

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
UPDATE: I think it is from the wing? In this picture you can see she didn't fold one wing feathers properly like the other ones. OMG what should I do?

Attachments

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Did she eat anything blue or purple and do you see any blood or staining around the wings?

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Nope. she didn't eat anything blue or purple. Checked her bum, its not dirtly with anything, I checked the wings over. They look clean from outside but couldn't manange to see inside. My cockatiel is still wild, I can't really open the wing. She is able to fly. I checked really closely while she was preening and extending the particular wing and one foot ( you might know what im talking about) and I don't see any blood or dirt. Everything looks normal just that that those feathers on that wing are not being tucked in like on the other wing.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
UPDATE: After a loong prinning session all the fethers are folded the way they are supposed to. So then were did the purple drops come from??

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Does she dip toys in her water bowl? My birds but wood toys in their water bowls and the dye gets everywhere.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Some seeds and pellets do "bleed" if they're placed in water but I'm not seeing blood in the first photo. IMHO it's too purple f/blood. If she's eaten anything like a berry or anything similar that can happen and it scared the bejeebies out of me when it happened here.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
She doesn't have purple or blue toys. I can't really wrap my mind on what is happening.

Should I wait a few days to see if the purple spots reappear?

I also discovered a suspect chewed up purple cotton fluff that come from a q tip. It is true that the q tip has a lavander purple stick, but is hard plastic that doesn't bleed. I tried rubbing it everywhere. And the purple in the cotton looks too dark.

I checked everything in the cage guys. This is the only thing that came up. Feels like I am a detective in a case. so scary. Right now my tiel is happily devouring millet while I investigate.

Attachments

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
She also has a dot of solidifed green poop in the middle of the beak portion. Which shows that she took a nosedive without wanting in poop, because I bet cockatiels don't like fresh poop. ( btw, she doens't let me rub it with a vinegar q tip, soo annoying and it's solidified and it doesn't come off ) .

the mistery thickes.

this is why I think she somehow dropped of at night

Here is a pic with her poop dot.

Attachments

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Don’t use vinegar on the bird. Use plain water. The fumes are too strong and burn

Kodigirl210

I would check anywhere she has the ability to fly to and see if there is anything purple - whether flower or dried up berries. They are quite clever and good at finding things that we have totally forgotten. Because in all honesty it looks like some type of berry.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
I would check anywhere she has the ability to fly to and see if there is anything purple - whether flower or dried up berries. They are quite clever and good at finding things that we have totally forgotten. Because in all honesty it looks like some type of berry.
You think these are like foot marks? I don't think it makes sense because they appear round as if the berry was dropped there and eaten there, but the thing is in her room there are no berries and she has no power to bring something like that to her cage. Before I covered her last night there was no such thing as a berry or anything colored on that spot. And also I studied the stains well and they are not poop stains. No urate or poop. It looks like an ink stain to me, that kind of consistency, as you can see from the pic.

Could it actually come from inside her? Because if we check the 3rd picture with the chewed q tip, there are little hard bits in the cotton. Same color as the stains on bottom of cage.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Guys I think I should do like Kodigirl210 said in another post and relax and observe the things. At least Candy is acting normal, no sign of injury. I am very pleased with that. I am going to see if the purple stains appear again and I'll update you if happens! Thanks for the people that contribuited so far!

Feel free to leave other ideas if you have any.

Have a great day guys!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy