• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent What is this black crusty spot near the beak?

qwerty19920917

Checking out the neighborhood
A few days ago, I noticed this black crusty spot near Pineapple's beak. Are there warning signs that I'm missing out? So far, Pineapple seems to be okay although the occasional sneezing happens. Compared to the other birds (same kind) we have, he doesn't really chirp much.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
JMHO, It looks like wound it should be checked out by avian vet.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
My first guess based on prior experience is he got a little puncture from something - do the birds play together? May have gotten caught with a beak corner or something.

I would definitely get it checked out by a vet asap, especially if he's sneezing and being quieter than normal as well.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would probably take him to the vet. I hope is okay and keep us posted!

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Clean it. If it comes off easily, it’s dried blood if it’s stuck tight, it’s scab leave it on. But you still may be able to tell more about the wound if you clean it up a bit. Cabo did that with his own foot once when he was in need of a nail trim. (The vet hates trying to trim him as much as I do).

Not knowing what caused it, I can’t hazard a guess as to whether or not infection is a huge worry. If you aren’t near an AV, watch it closely for increased swelling, any drainage that is NOT clear or odor, if his appetite decreases or he starts sleeping a lot.

Best to have him checked if you can but absolutely first sign of any of the things I mentioned above if you can, find a doc.

qwerty19920917

Checking out the neighborhood
Everyone, thank you for the responses. Taking Pineapple to the vet and learning about the basics on taking care of pet bird is the best course of action. I'm a complete noob to this and am convinced that just "feeding them with high quality expensive feeds and staring at them in their cages" isn't really taking care of them as my dad, who bought all those birds, does... Pineapple is the only bird amongst the flock (6 of them lol) that easily connects with humans so I can start with him/her.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Glad you have a vet available and hope all is well with Pineapple.

Yes there is much more to caring for them than feeding and watching. Sounds like you’re well on your way to being owned by a parrot!