• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is this all about?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@dodi17 I was worried that Buzzard might have been feeling frisky the first time he started rolling over when we were playing, too. :o: I was relieved when @Macawnutz told me it was okay, but I'm glad I was warned that birds tend to bite much harder during play (like when they roll back over) and to keep a toy on hand to give him to bite instead of my fingers like I had been doing. :jawdrop1:
Is this normal play for a macaw? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks everyone!

Sadly...Blu hasn't done that cute move in a long time now. Lately he's been trying to weave a nest onto my back! He brings coffee stirs over and tucks them behind my shoulder when I sit on the couch. o_O

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Lately he's been trying to weave a nest onto my back! He brings coffee stirs over and tucks them behind my shoulder when I sit on the couch. o_O
That is because you are his rock, his foundation... of the new nest that he's building. :p

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Blu is absolutely adorable! So funny that he tries to build you into a nest! :lol:

When I first got Itsy, I just had a thought that she might let me put her on her back. So I tried and she just lay there on my hand. Then a day or 2 later, I was sitting with her on my lap and I just said "Let's see if we can flip you over" and before I even touched her she rolled over onto my hand! I was so surprised. It was like a trick she knew. She hasn't done it since but she does let me put her on her back on my hand all the time. She keeps hold of my finger with her feet. :)

WasabiMama

Meeting neighbors
Just curious @CrazyBirdChick .... I know this thread is old, but did Blu continue this, and did you learn anything else? My QP Wasabi also does this half-roll over under my neck or next to my hair (sometimes making a little “heh-heh-heh” sounds too). He’s only 5 months, but I’m also a bit worried about it being sexual behavior.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Just curious @CrazyBirdChick .... I know this thread is old, but did Blu continue this, and did you learn anything else? My QP Wasabi also does this half-roll over under my neck or next to my hair (sometimes making a little “heh-heh-heh” sounds too). He’s only 5 months, but I’m also a bit worried about it being sexual behavior.
Sadly, he really doesn't do that anymore :(
I think he was just enjoying the scritches but I can't say for sure whether or not he construed it as sexual behavior. All I can say is enjoy Wasabi's half rolls when you get them and hope they never stop cause it's super adorable! I wish Blu would go back to doing that now that I look back at this thread

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Guess what just happened? Blu rolled over!

How weird that he has not done that for about a year and then right after this old thread got resurrected he did it again.

He was being a bit of a handful and messing around behind my head on the couch. So without even looking I just reached out and flipped him on his back in my hand and we were both laughing. So right after I put him down (on my shoulder) he flipped himself. My guess is he likes the feeling of something on his back. I think he tried to cop a feel. :rolleyes: That and the fact that I think it's funny.

I still can't say for sure what it is but I have a hunch it may be partially sexually stimulating. That plus just being goofy.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
My Quaker loved her scratches but never rolled over. My Sun loves to roll over on his back and grab me with his little feets while I scratch his belly and neck.

WasabiMama

Meeting neighbors
What a coincidence! Wasabi lets me (and favorite daughter) roll him over, with one or two hands. He’ll gently grab onto my fingers, or take the opportunity to gnaw on his ankle band, but mostly it’s just “chill” time... I do it when he gets overly crazy or bitey, and it seems to calm him down, especially when I scritch head feathers while he’s upside down. It’s very different than when he’s on my neck and rolling himself halfway over and nipping hard at me and purring/heh-heh-ing, which is the part that I think is maybe sexual, even though he is really young still. So maybe I should just stick with the “hand rolls” and not let him do the neck thing ...

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Ralph learned to roll over by accident. He was on the bottom of his cage, trying to fish a piece of popcorn he'd dropped out of the bottom tray and he inadvertently rolled over. I cheered and applauded, so he did it again-- and again, and again. Now, he'll roll over on request (if he's in the mood, of course :D) and expects cheers and applause every time. :)

WasabiMama

Meeting neighbors
I cheered and applauded, so he did it again-- and again, and again. Now, he'll roll over on request (if he's in the mood, of course :D) and expects cheers and applause every time. :)
It does seem like they learn so darn quickly (when they are in the mood!!!). Glad I’m not the only birdie parent who cheers on everything :yes4:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
What a coincidence! Wasabi lets me (and favorite daughter) roll him over, with one or two hands. He’ll gently grab onto my fingers, or take the opportunity to gnaw on his ankle band, but mostly it’s just “chill” time... I do it when he gets overly crazy or bitey, and it seems to calm him down, especially when I scritch head feathers while he’s upside down. It’s very different than when he’s on my neck and rolling himself halfway over and nipping hard at me and purring/heh-heh-ing, which is the part that I think is maybe sexual, even though he is really young still. So maybe I should just stick with the “hand rolls” and not let him do the neck thing ...
How funny! I also flip Blu over in my hand when he gets too bitey and it calms him down. Or at least it makes him forget about biting.

It's hard to say what Wasabi is thinking. 5 months is young but I guess it's possible he is realizing that certain things feel good.

The only reason I'm so convinced Blu seems sexual when he rolls himself is because he's been a constant horndog recently. Haha.

He does not purr when he rolls himself but he does purr when I scritch his head. When he tries really hard to mate with me he makes more of a hissing breathing sound. He does bite me when he gets frustrated that I won't sit still for him to mate with me though. Sorry if I'm not being very helpful. Wasabi sounds like a joy! I love Quakers!

Ralph learned to roll over by accident. He was on the bottom of his cage, trying to fish a piece of popcorn he'd dropped out of the bottom tray and he inadvertently rolled over. I cheered and applauded, so he did it again-- and again, and again. Now, he'll roll over on request (if he's in the mood, of course :D) and expects cheers and applause every time. :)
Oh my goodness! That is adorable!!!