1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is the best book on parrots?

Discussion in 'Bird Boulevard' started by Matto, 2/12/18.

1. Matto

Matto Strolling the yard Vendor

Let's say that you work for a rescue or pet store. What is the one book that you would give to new parrot owners? Other than species-specific ones.

2. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC Evil Villain

Robin
    Interesting question! Would Love to hear the answers. I have mostly done a lot of online Reading, and read pdf books. I have only a handful printed parrot books.

3. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Evil Villain

Sarah
    New bird owners I love the "parrot problem solver" simple reading but clear examples of how to not start trouble.

My bible is the "clinical avian medicine" book by harrison. Over the top reading for average bird owners.
    My other go to is my "the large macaw" book but too expensive to get your hands on. Mine was given to me.

4. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    I have found that most books you describe basically "how to" books- are seriously outdated...published many years ago. The species-specific books I've seen are much more recently written...

JLcribber and Eloy like this.
  5. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    You’re reading your the best book there is right now. It’s called The Community of Avian Avenue. A mind hive of the most passionate, knowledgeable, crazy bird people from all over the planet.

Anyone without internet access lives under a rock. :D

Mizzely, Teckechick, greys4u and 10 others like this.
  6. tka

tka Walking the driveway Evil Villain

I'd recommend Rosemary Low's Why Does My Parrot...? - last updated in 2015 so pretty recent, and does a nice job of explaining wild parrot behaviours and how these manifest themselves in a home environment.

JLcribber likes this.
  7. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! Evil Villain

Avian Medicine | Avian Medicine | Home

This is an excellent link to avian medicine books and newsletter, including the "Clinical Avian Medicine" book cited by Sarah.
    I have a holistic reference book for birds but I don't remember the title. Will see if I can find it and also check to see what other books I have that I would recommend.

TikiMyn and JLcribber like this.
  8. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Evil Villain

Sarah
    In all honesty... like John says, I printed business cards for AA that I have available at work. :) Anyone that has or says they want a bird gets a card!

9. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    The first book I ever got on parrots was "Parrots for Dummies" It taught me so much general, basic information and I still refer to it every once in a while.

TikiMyn, JLcribber and Wasabisaurus like this.
  10. Macawnutz

Sarah

Is it decent? I should order one. Lol

TikiMyn likes this.
  11. Familyof12

Familyof12 Rollerblading along the road

Liz
    I found so many conflicting information about certain thing such as what to feed and handling in all the different books. The problem is, even though there are generalities, each bird has an individual personality. You can't guess what it will be because it's based on their experiences and not ours. Based on all the outdated material and reading books that often say "may" or "could" I find this forum, asking my avian vet, or doing research online for the newest information is what I rely on. I love word of mouth by other owners. This is way better than reading a book and not being able to ask questions.

Some of my birds act like it says they are supposed to and some don't. I could never have guessed what their personalities were until they're home with me for at least three months before they are comfortable going from room to room or even leaving their own room! My small ones will not leave their room without them kicking and being dragged out. They love love that room and the whole room is their forrest. I can leave that door open and no one ever runs into the screen to get out. We've even had the screen open and they're flying around but they all stay away from the door. The bigger birds are so opposite it's scary. What one eats, the other won't. One likes toys to play with in his mouth, the other wants to tear things apart.

They're like kids. You get what you get. Have questions? Come here, and ask people who REALLY CARE. Research online and call and ask your vet. It's my standard operating procedure.

TikiMyn and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  12. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Yes it's a good book for the beginner. I learned much about what not to do in the realm of safety. I read about how to select a healthy parrot, how to choose good housing, correct behavior problems and keeping multiple parrots plus more. It's aging now but still informative for a newbie. I should have put it in the auction.

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  13. WallyLoopey

WallyLoopey Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran Evil Villain

Kate
    I loved parrots for dummies and still have mine

Lady Jane likes this.
  14. greys4u

greys4u Rollerblading along the road

I have 2 favorite books, both are hardbacks

1. The Healthy Bird Cookbook by Robin Deutsch
    2. The Complete Pet Owners Handbook by Gary Gallerstein D.V.M

Both have great info!

15. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! Evil Villain

Michelle
  16. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica
    My suggestion would be one of the training books by Barbara Heidenreich, Anne Castro, Karen Pryor, Melinda Johnson or similar people. (*NOT* Bird Tricks or The Parrot Wizard!)

JLcribber and Mer Boy like this.
  17. Greencheek Lee

Greencheek Lee Walking the driveway

Lee
    I like Sally Blanchard too.

18. Mer Boy

Mer Boy Walking the driveway

Lol The Parrot Wizard. :p

I have ‘Good Bird’ by BH, highly recommend it. I also have Parrots For Dummies and a parrotkeeping book by Rosemary Low. Both are pretty good.

Monica and TikiMyn like this.
  19. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Sally has changed. It seems she's more interested in politics these days.

TikiMyn likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)