• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is the best book on parrots?

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Let's say that you work for a rescue or pet store. What is the one book that you would give to new parrot owners? Other than species-specific ones.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Interesting question! Would Love to hear the answers. I have mostly done a lot of online Reading, and read pdf books. I have only a handful printed parrot books.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
New bird owners I love the "parrot problem solver" simple reading but clear examples of how to not start trouble.

My bible is the "clinical avian medicine" book by harrison. Over the top reading for average bird owners.
My other go to is my "the large macaw" book but too expensive to get your hands on. Mine was given to me.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I have found that most books you describe basically "how to" books- are seriously outdated...published many years ago. The species-specific books I've seen are much more recently written...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You’re reading your the best book there is right now. It’s called The Community of Avian Avenue. A mind hive of the most passionate, knowledgeable, crazy bird people from all over the planet.

Anyone without internet access lives under a rock. :D

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd recommend Rosemary Low's Why Does My Parrot...? - last updated in 2015 so pretty recent, and does a nice job of explaining wild parrot behaviours and how these manifest themselves in a home environment.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Medicine | Avian Medicine | Home

This is an excellent link to avian medicine books and newsletter, including the "Clinical Avian Medicine" book cited by Sarah.
I have a holistic reference book for birds but I don't remember the title. Will see if I can find it and also check to see what other books I have that I would recommend.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
In all honesty... like John says, I printed business cards for AA that I have available at work. :) Anyone that has or says they want a bird gets a card!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The first book I ever got on parrots was "Parrots for Dummies" It taught me so much general, basic information and I still refer to it every once in a while.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The first book I ever got on parrots was "Parrots for Dummies" It taught me so much general, basic information and I still refer to it every once in a while.

Is it decent? I should order one. Lol

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I found so many conflicting information about certain thing such as what to feed and handling in all the different books. The problem is, even though there are generalities, each bird has an individual personality. You can't guess what it will be because it's based on their experiences and not ours. Based on all the outdated material and reading books that often say "may" or "could" I find this forum, asking my avian vet, or doing research online for the newest information is what I rely on. I love word of mouth by other owners. This is way better than reading a book and not being able to ask questions.

Some of my birds act like it says they are supposed to and some don't. I could never have guessed what their personalities were until they're home with me for at least three months before they are comfortable going from room to room or even leaving their own room! My small ones will not leave their room without them kicking and being dragged out. They love love that room and the whole room is their forrest. I can leave that door open and no one ever runs into the screen to get out. We've even had the screen open and they're flying around but they all stay away from the door. The bigger birds are so opposite it's scary. What one eats, the other won't. One likes toys to play with in his mouth, the other wants to tear things apart.

They're like kids. You get what you get. Have questions? Come here, and ask people who REALLY CARE. Research online and call and ask your vet. It's my standard operating procedure.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes it's a good book for the beginner. I learned much about what not to do in the realm of safety. I read about how to select a healthy parrot, how to choose good housing, correct behavior problems and keeping multiple parrots plus more. It's aging now but still informative for a newbie. I should have put it in the auction.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I loved parrots for dummies and still have mine

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have 2 favorite books, both are hardbacks

1. The Healthy Bird Cookbook by Robin Deutsch
2. The Complete Pet Owners Handbook by Gary Gallerstein D.V.M

Both have great info!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My suggestion would be one of the training books by Barbara Heidenreich, Anne Castro, Karen Pryor, Melinda Johnson or similar people. (*NOT* Bird Tricks or The Parrot Wizard!)

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I like Sally Blanchard too.

Mer Boy

Walking the driveway
My suggestion would be one of the training books by Barbara Heidenreich, Anne Castro, Karen Pryor, Melinda Johnson or similar people. (*NOT* Bird Tricks or The Parrot Wizard!)
Lol The Parrot Wizard. :p

I have ‘Good Bird’ by BH, highly recommend it. I also have Parrots For Dummies and a parrotkeeping book by Rosemary Low. Both are pretty good.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I burrowed through my closet and found these books:
"Bird Owner's Home Health and Care Handbook" by Gary A. Gallerstein DVM
"The Parrot in Health and Illness An Owner's Guide" Bonnie Munro Doane
"The Bird Care Book" Sheldon L. Gerstenfeld, V.M.D.
"Holistic Care for Birds" David McCluggage, DVM & Pamela Leis Higdon

Other books, too, but these are the ones I have related to health and care.