• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Is On My New Cockatiel?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Spray him lightly with plain water. Let him preen and if needed do it again.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If its not something that washes off, I think Id have the vet look at it to rule out avian pox.
That's a really good idea :) it's so hard to tell by the picture it could be many different things. If it washes off and nothing similar pops up I think you're good. Just keep an eye on his breathing too because it's near his cere. That said since he's new and you are unsure of his background it never hurts to have a wellness exam, if you haven't already :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could it be some kind of food? I occasionally see this on my tiels and just pick it off..or, you can take a moistened QTip and try to clean it..His eyes look normal to me..

TurquoiseBirb

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Blake W.
I have no idea how long its been on , the former owners only fed him "outdoor bird seed" yikes . It looks calcified. He is scared to let us touch it at all or give him a bath so far .

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Try spritzing him with water. If he doesn't like that, then try playing the sound of rain *OR* leaving the vacuum on. Try spritzing again. (I am not kidding about the vacuum!)

Alternatively, give him a nice big bowl he can fit in and see if he'll take a bath that way.