• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is my parrotlet doing ?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Was there a certain behavior in particular you wanted us to watch for? It looks to me like she's just exploring her cage and doing what birds do. Like she wanted a better look at her cage bottom so she want down to look at it. Then didn't want to be down there anymore and went back up. Just being a bird from the looks of it. If she's mature and spends a lot of time on the bottom in a corner, it could be nesting behavior. Also birds that spend a lot of time on the bottom could be sick. However, your bird was moving confidently and her feathers were sleek and she didn't carry herself like a sick bird.

noice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Anna
Just a bird being a bird ;) Don't worry, it looks like she's just exploring. Beans does the same.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is that plexi glass? Do you think she can see her reflection slightly? Maybe thats why she was interested in that corner?

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
this are all good possibilities.
do you know why she why it looks as if she wipes her beak on the bars? she didn't eat any wet food or other sticky stuff.
is this a frustration thing?

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Just wanted to chime in that my male parrotlet Simon does a very similar behavior (that is of course completely normal) in his own cage.

He has a large Vision cage with no grate on the bottom and so likes to run around on the bottom or burrow into the corners. He will even kick up the bedding and excavates a little hollow. It's not a nesting behavior obviously, but just something he seems to do for fun. :) The beak wiping thing he does sometimes too, but it's less like the motions he goes through when he is cleaning his beak and more like what my male budgies do when they try to "kiss" or talk to an inanimate object.

Littlbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lorechelle
How long have you had her?
How long in THAT petucular cage?
Honestly, I've worked with some parrotlets and she seems like she's overwhelmed?
Parrotlets over all of let out do better in smaller cages.
They need LOTS of people time!
Here's a pic of a little parrotlet that attacked people all the time.
This girl wanted a companion.
She moved him to a smaller cage.
Spent a few hours in the bathroom letting him get away from her and rescuing him (toilet lid closed ofcourse, yes you have to tell some pple ) & now he goes EVERY place with her! Honestly I thought pip was maybe one of those that was past hope.
4 hours in the bathroom and a small cage by her bed,and most out of the cage hours spent in the day and "now, I'm jealous, lol" 20151105_193415.jpeg 20151105_193551.jpeg

Littlbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lorechelle
We also have the same cage,it looks like ,unless tucks is larger but look at his in comparison to him and he's a GCC

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
It is a montana madeira cage,size 2.
They are in this cage for 3 weeks now. They spend some daily hours out of the cage with us and on this video they already had the playtime out of the cage.
I see this behaviour daily. Still not sure what it means. I think she is just acting out but don't know why.

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Maybe she is focusing on something because she is slightly frustrated that she had to go back in the cage. Yoshi loves to be out and when he goes back in, he will go to a certain spot in his cage and chew at the bars. Eventually he leaves that spot.

Or maybe she is interested at what is below the cage bars.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I also have a mated pair of parrotlets and I think that yours is saying that it wanted more out of cage time as it appeared to be looking for another way out of the cage, but was not overly concerned over it. The wiping of the beak could easily just be her grooming her beak. If you ever look closely at your birds beak you will find little uneven spots along the edges of the upper and lower beak, theses are from normal wear and tear and sometimes the bird will wipe these edges along the bars of the cage, on perches just like cleaning, but she is just smoothing these spots out. Perfectly normal behavior. I often joke that they are keeping the beak nice and sharp.