• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is life like with a mealy amazon

Birddude

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Luke
What is like to live with a mealy amazon

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Are you asking because you are looking for one?

Life with a Mealy. Well, smart, large and powerful bird. Great eaters, will eat just about anything. Stubborn, inquisitive and very active. Not a huge wood toy destroyer, a very big foot toy and bird that loves to forage.

Will walk the floor, will chew furniture if able to sneak and chew, will challenge other pets just saying from experience. A big baby, scaredy cat yet a bully at the same time. Extremely well versed vocabulary knowing the association of names and Persons or animals name.

A great bird, awesome species.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh and can be loud when they sound off. Usually when the two Zons are together twice a day.

Birddude

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Luke
How much time a day should be spent with a mealy amazon.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
How much time a day should be spent with a mealy amazon.
Well it all depends. What your life situation is? Do you have time to allow your bird out of cage time?

Mine are out most days two times per day from 1 to 2 hours in the morning, to 3 or 4 hours at night.

A bird to sit in a cage all day is not a suitable life for any bird.

A careful diet is in hand too since they really love to eat. Seed with sunflower seed a big NO. Hopefully this bird is on a pellet of some sort. Supplementing with some fruit and veggies, sweet potato will help round out the diet.

Birddude

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Luke
I am gone for 7-10 hours a day. I could probably spend that much time with a mealy amazon every day.

What are the best places or sites to buy a mealy?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am gone for 7-10 hours a day. I could probably spend that much time with a mealy amazon every day.

What are the best places or sites to buy a mealy?
Well also think ahead, they can live a good 60 years! They are not prolific anymore. Their numbers are dwindling on the wild. Prices have gone up on them from the breeder I got mine from almost 10 years ago.

You should opt for a rescue Mealy. They are out there. Petfinder usually has them listed with rescues.