• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent what is happening????

animalover

Jogging around the block
milo was diagnosed with upper respiratory infection a couple of days ago, no tests were done, just from symptoms, I was given Enrofloxacin 0.03 ml everyday. milo was out of his cage this morning, I put him on the window frame because he loves the heat, I put him and his bowl of food and water, and I went and sat on my bed, I had online school so I left him there for about an hour, he was in my view so I saw everything he did, he just ate/ looked out the window. but about 30 mins of him sitting on the window, I closed the curtains as I couldn't tolerate the sun because of my eyedrops, but there was nothing there that was bad for him behind it, so when I went to him he was fine, but I found one of his poos and it was super duper runny, unrelated but also this was over a week and I forgot to mention it to the vet, I found some very light red under his tail, on his feathers, it doesn't look like blood, but I'm not sure what it is, I was painting a week ago with water colors, could this be just paint? he wasn't with me the whole time when I was painting, he just flew here for a few seconds before I put him back in his cage. I also found a tiny streak of dried blood on his back, not sure where it could've come from, not from his previous injury because I bathed him after it happened, I've given him 3 doses so far, I have to give it to him for 10 days. also he's not drinking as much water, maybe 3-4 sips per day, so I dont get why his poo is so runny, I did add some more crushed pellets over his food, could this be why? he still hasn't pooped since then so idk about his new poops but ill keep watch, sorry for the long post.

tempImage5xV3bS.jpg tempImagevXbzFS.jpg
IMG_2816.jpg doesn't show well on photos, but its much darker in real life.
ik I might be a tiny bit overreacting, but what can I do.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Runny poops could be from medication. Did you ask your vet if that is a side affect?
Is he eating well? Does he eat seeds? Is he enjoying the pellets?

Also, as your bird is poorly, you must make sure no one is stressing him (going back to your thread yesterday). He must be allowed to recover stress free.

I would recommend keeping a weight diary for your bird.

animalover

Jogging around the block
Runny poops could be from medication. Did you ask your vet if that is a side affect?
Is he eating well? Does he eat seeds? Is he enjoying the pellets?

Also, as your bird is poorly, you must make sure no one is stressing him (going back to your thread yesterday). He must be allowed to recover stress free.

I would recommend keeping a weight diary for your bird.
no sadly I didn't have time to ask for side affects, he eats seeds, but no pellets at all, so I have to crush it and sprinkle it over his seeds, which he goes through well.
yeah I made sure to stay with him at all times, and didnt allow my brother to do anything to him at all, milo is always out of the cage, from 9am to 8 pm, but during this time he's always sleeping, probably only stays awake for 2 hours?? idk, and I rarely leave my room these days because of school and stuff. so its good.

animalover

Jogging around the block
slight problem, I just found the medicine, open and completely dry, idk how this happened, but it looks like it opened on its own and isn't closing anymore, what should I do, its already passed the time for his meds, is it fine to stop until I can get some more?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I talked to. my vet and they can give me another dose, but how long is too long before giving another dose?
That sounds like an excellent question for the vet as they are the one prescribing the medications

animalover

Jogging around the block
That sounds like an excellent question for the vet as they are the one prescribing the medications
idk I was only talking to the receptionist, the doc is not available today so I can't ask sadly, the earliest time I could probably give it to him is today at night, my mom has some stuff to do so she will pick this up right before she comes home.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Give your mum the medicine bottle to go to the chemist and see if you can buy some there.

animalover

Jogging around the block
Give your mum the medicine bottle to go to the chemist and see if you can buy some there.
yeah I got someone to go pick it up, but they will be home late, but I guess its fine as long as im still giving him today

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe when you closed the curtain or got very warm near the window and he drank a lot of water.

The meds should work fairly quickly, so if it’s been a few days, and he still continues to actually sleep all day, I would call the vet and ask them if he might need some tests run and possibly a different medication.

animalover

Jogging around the block
umm so its 10;15 pm now, milo has been sleeping for more than 2 hrs already, I still did not give him the meds as my mom just got it, should I wake him up? I dont wanna disturb him, but if its necessary i'll try.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Don´t just creep up on him, try making a little noise, maybe say his name or something so you don´t spook him.