• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is a good calm companion bird?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Like a ringneck dove, pigeon, quail, or chicken, but the more bonded to the owner the better.

I absolutely adore most livestock birds if that helps, but would prefer something that can be placed on a desk or seat when needed.

Last edited:

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Calmness, in general: Bourke parakeets and diamond doves.
Had both and they were very calm.
It will of course depend on where you get them from. My diamond dove came from a pet store and it took him a while to warm up to me and I also worked with him (but not much) to teach him step up.

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Calmness, in general: Bourke parakeets and diamond doves.
Had both and they were very calm.
It will of course depend on where you get them from. My diamond dove came from a pet store and it took him a while to warm up to me and I also worked with him (but not much) to teach him step up.
Do you know the differences between the bourke and grass parakeet? Temperament-wise it's hard to distinguish the main differences

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
We have a local breeder of Scarlet-chested parakeets and he often says that scarlet chested are best to be looked at, to admire their beauty but as true pets - no.
He is a small scale breeder.

Other than the above, I don't know enough about grass parakeets to help you.

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
I second a bourke or dove for 'calm'. My bourke is semi-tame and will land on my head or hang on my shoulder-when she feels like it. Stepping up is hit or miss. The grass parakeets generally are hands off birds; they just don't like to be touched. But they are quiet and don't chew on stuff like other parakeets.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
English Budgies are by far one of the most calm bird species there are. Of course I am in love with these birds.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I just had to peek over here because I didn't believe a calm bird existed! :roflmao: