• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
What if two different kinds of Pionus fell in love and had babies...could that ever happen? I have a male Dusky coming in a few weeks, and it just crossed my mind that hey...what if my BH Pica decided 'He's the one she's been waiting for all her life!'...
Could that happen?...
Would that give me dark olive green babies with purple heads?
Of course they'd need a nest box etc...but Im wondering if thats possible...

Any thoughts?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would imagine it is possible...if they did pair up and laid eggs, you could boil them to ensure they do not hatch. I do not know what the outcome of such a mating would be.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, it could happen. I've seen a dusky/maxi hybrid before. It was an attractive bird, but the colors were more muddled. Usually green is a dominant color, so the blue would likely be sparse. No way to know for sure. I would just ensure that the eggs don't hatch. :)

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
Yeah, hehe, I wouldn't want them to get too cuddly then...I guess regardless if I had a male and female of any specie, I really don't want to take care babies...maybe in 30 years or soo...but not now...noooo way:hehe:...it just crossed my mind....
So just say I see that they're getting to be...you know...going out on dates at the window ledge:heart:...or that exciting red perch:heart:...
Do I point and laugh,:rofl:...
or do I never have them play together again:huh:...
There must be something in the middle...
Sorry guys, Im just thinking out loud...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yeah, hehe, I wouldn't want them to get too cuddly then...I guess regardless if I had a male and female of any specie, I really don't want to take care babies...maybe in 30 years or soo...but not now...noooo way:hehe:...it just crossed my mind....
So just say I see that they're getting to be...you know...going out on dates at the window ledge:heart:...or that exciting red perch:heart:...
Do I point and laugh,:rofl:...
or do I never have them play together again:huh:...
There must be something in the middle...
Sorry guys, Im just thinking out loud...
Any two birds can fall in "love" so to speak and that's perfectly fine. You practice birdy birth control because playing with genetics is not trivial or funny.

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
WHOOA John, Im not taking this lightly, sorry if that's how I came across...I don't know how these things happen...meaning do they just do it like dogs, quickly before you can stop it, and then Im stuck with babies? Or there's nothing to worry about, "whatever it is" needs to happen for this to happen...
Just looking for some pointers so Im not stuck with a bad situation...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
WHOOA John, Im not taking this lightly, sorry if that's how I came across...I don't know how these things happen...meaning do they just do it like dogs, quickly before you can stop it, and then Im stuck with babies? Or there's nothing to worry about, "whatever it is" needs to happen for this to happen...
Just looking for some pointers so Im not stuck with a bad situation...
I'm also sorry for not being more specific.

If they fall in "love" and want to do the nasty, that's perfectly fine. You can't stop it anyway as long as they have access to each other. Birdy birth control means that if any eggs are laid that they are not allowed to hatch by either sterilizing them or replacing them with fakes.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
If they do become friends and they do go on dates and get a little to freaky :lol:, there's really not much you can do. You can keep them in separate cages to avoid it happening while you are not around. My GCC's bred in front of me and before I knew what was happening, it was over :eek: Sure enough, not long after, we had eggs. I shook the eggs but apparently didn't shake them well enough because now we have baby Puck! It was never my intention to let them breed and/or have eggs/babies but mistakes happen. I took what I thought were the appropriate steps.

You've got a while before it happens (if it happens) but when/if it does, just make sure you do research so you'll know the appropriate steps to take :)

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've been asking about this too (not about pis, but what to do about young birdie love) because I want Judy and Korbin Dallas to get along, I just don't want babies. I learned that you can discourage mating behaviors by not allowing them a place that looks good to nest, but they will decide for themselves. They may also choose to do the nasty without producing eggs. If they produce fertile eggs, you can boil them or just replace them with fakes until they lose interest. Just because there are eggs does not mean they should hatch. There are too many things that can go wrong with raising babies for it to be done on a whim. There are also too many birdies in need of homes to breed just because it's cute or natural. Lair of Dragons bird rescue just had 7 young green cheeks of varying ages come in because the owners allowed their pets to breed and didn't know what to do with the babies.

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
Thanx guys, I didn't do any research on this yet, like I said it was a thought that crossed my mind this morning...the "what if"...
I just found out not long ago its a baby boy (8wks old), and Pica is female. I hope in time they become buddies, and hopefully not too much...it must be hard for the 'mother' to not actually have a baby come out of her eggs after all this time of sitting on them...no?

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I don't know if it's hard for them but I do know that it's recommended to allow them to incubate their eggs full term. It usually discourages her from laying more.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
it must be hard for the 'mother' to not actually have a baby come out of her eggs after all this time of sitting on them...no?
They do not always have successful hatchings in the wild. Many many times they just don't hatch or because of other circumstances such as weather, predators, accidents etc. They are very smart creatures but they do not get all "emotional" about it. It's just an instinct. They live in the moment and when the time is up, they don't dwell on it and just move on. (They also do not miss something they have never had).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sure enough, not long after, we had eggs. I shook the eggs but apparently didn't shake them well enough because now we have baby Puck!
Just as an FYI for anyone. Shaking the eggs or "Addling" as it's called is not a 100% sure way to sterilize eggs. Neither is chilling the eggs. If it doesn't work (and there's a good chance it won't) you now run the risk of not only having the eggs hatch but there is also a good chance that there will be something wrong with the chicks because of the shaking.

The only safe sure way to sterilize eggs is to boil them or destroy them completely.

Last edited:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
If they do fall i love and get amorous there is nothing wrong with that. It is a completely natural instinct. Just make sure to boil or replace with fake eggs. I would never take away the pleasure they have of finding a mate because i was afraid of unwanted babies when it is so easy to take care of the eggs

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.