• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What I did Sunday

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the stones. Are you drinking a lot of water? That's very important. Not human but my dog produces calcium oxalate stones every now and then. He is on a limited diet and I add extra water to his food. He gets B6 and potassium citrate. You probably know this already but there are dietary recommendations depending on the type of stones that are being produced. Feel better!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I also make calcium oxalate stone and have read that b6 and magnesium helps. Haven't seen anything about potassium with b6. I try to avoid too much dark pop or taking anything with extra calcium in vitamins. I have also read that the natural cacium in foods doesn't seem to affect kidney stone formation but in vitamins does. I tend to drink more water during the summer when I'm working and I take a gallon of ice water with me. Now I tend to drink less but I always take a 17 oz carbonated sugar free sparkeling flavored ice water with me and drink it during lunch as I also have to be careful about over doing sugar. There are about 23 different rocks people make depending on the issues and mine is the most common. I do drink a little tea and don't eat a lot of the other things on the list.
Bosses son makes a acid based stone and also gets gout all the time. He has made hundreds over time and knows he can stop many of his issues changing his diet but I guess he's stubborn and hasn't changed enough yet. I used to pass 3 or 4 small ones every winter and now I'm down to 1 every year or less and they are much smaller so far. Last one was in may of 2015 and was checking back to see when the others happened since 2009.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
WOW! More than I ever wanted to know about Kidney Stones! Seriously though, I am glad you are feeling better. Do whatever you can to reduce or shrink those puppies.
<WARNING, GRAPHIC EXPLANATION>
My brother has had a few bad Kidney Stone episodes, and they went in after one once. He LITERALLY could not even talk about the surgery/procedure and recovery until about 3 weeks afterward. My brother is a BIG 6' 230 pound cop. Having no filter he told me EXACTLY how bad it was... after the actual removal of the stone. It involved a tube that needed to be removed and peeing blood for more than a week. The tube was to make sure everything from where they looked for the stone throughout stayed open and functional while the area healed and where they went in closed and internal swelling went down. And he said he did not want to pee. There was (manly-Of Course) crying involved. But of course he had to drink copious amounts of water... which made him... you got it... pee more. To remove the tube he was expecting the MD to give him some form of pain reliever... shot, pill... and tell him when... you know "1, 2, 3..." it didn't happen that way. The MD was just talking to him and then said, Okay, are you ready? He said Yeah, expecting something else to happen, you know... meds... nurse came over... and they pulled the tube out. My brother said he passed out on the table. More blood for a while but less than in the beginning. But it still took a couple of weeks for clear urine, and he was in extreme pain.
Drink water... take whatever they think will help... avoid them having go and look for them at all cost!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
My hospital still uses the old fashioned water bath stone smasher system. It is way easier on the kidneys and the body. They normally don't do both kidneys at once but made a exception because of my finances and insurance about to hit the limit where they then have to cover anything else 100 percent. They did not have to stent on me when done, just make sure I could pee before I went home. The first one was bright red and full of gravel afterwards and I did that with less and less blood for a week.
However I also had broken my arm after falling off the scaffolding at work and was knocked out cold and don't remember most of it till I woke up in my room in the trama center. One thing I discovered was I had something new, a stent installed. Sure glad I can't remember that happening, but I sure remember it getting removed. Same here, no pain meds, dinner, dancing, nothing, just oh we forgot to remove the stent, ready... RIP... of course there probably isn't a easy nice way to do it and fast and quick is probably best considering what they are tugging on. It was over before I had a chance to scream or anything and actually didn't hurt much. Luckily mine was easily seen on the mri and they didn't have to go in and urologist said same thing better in the kidney then digging around trying to drag it out with all the extra damage.
Tell him I feel for him and know exactly what he went through. There are levels of pain I hope most here never experience. And when you've taken as much as you safely can and it breaks through its a long ride.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Yeah - the stent. A pain that I don't want to ever go through again. I told them they were going to have to put me out the next time. Of course at the time I hadn't been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was back in the hospital about six hours later from the pain of the removal of that stent. The only pain meds I can take are tramadol. Everything else makes me throw up.

Okay - now I'm sitting here remembering the pain and my toes and fingers hurt just from remembering.

Terry - I don't have one a year but as my mom got older her stones were more frequent. I hope that is one trait of hers that I don't get.

Rolanda

Yeah - the stent. A pain that I don't want to ever go through again. I told them they were going to have to put me out the next time. Of course at the time I hadn't been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was back in the hospital about six hours later from the pain of the removal of that stent. The only pain meds I can take are tramadol. Everything else makes me throw up.

Okay - now I'm sitting here remembering the pain and my toes and fingers hurt just from remembering.

Terry - I don't have one a year but as my mom got older her stones were more frequent. I hope that is one trait of hers that I don't get.

I like Tramadol. Many people don't care for it but I'm allergic to Percocet and Vicodin makes me strange and have bad dreams. With my back issues it works well.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I like Tramadol. Many people don't care for it but I'm allergic to Percocet and Vicodin makes me strange and have bad dreams. With my back issues it works well.
I have to watch how much of it I take because of my ulcer. I leave Tramadol for when I have to have it - like trips to the hospital because of severe pain. I recommend it to alot of people who have problems with Percocent and Vocodin.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Does Tremadol have the side affects that oxi does and is it as affective against the kind of pain a stone can cause? I hate throwing up several hours after taking any oxi based stuff and BARELY avoided a serious hurl Sunday night. I even ate light stuff with lots of water like ramen as didn't want anything hard to come back up. I also downed close to a gallon of water and was waking up every hour to pee. Luckily one of those times it passed painlessly.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
my kidney stone pain is gone in less than 20 minutes once they get the iv started. i have no side affects with tramadol...throwing up or nausea. the pills take longer to take affect but tbey really work for me too.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'll have to ask the urologist about that if I go to see him, thanks.

Rolanda

My Opinion of Tramadol: I have really good results with my back pain, with Tramadol (pills). I believe it is an Opiod (schedule C now) pain killer. I've not had any of the side effects as I've had with Percocet (Itching that felt like my skin was trying to crawl away from me), or Vicodin (just feeling like I was spinning, lots of nausea, and generally feeling horrible and almost not able to function). It has the regular warnings of addiction, however I only take a full pill either at night or on weekends when my pain is REALLY bad, because I have a hard time fully focusing at work. I can go to work but sitting at my desk and staying on task (computer work) is difficult. If I'm in a lot of pain I will take 1/2 pill at work and it makes it bearable throughout the day. It also does not leave me loopy or hung over. I'm just in pain and then I realize I'm not anymore.
But, I have a friend who says it does not relieve any pain for him.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well I know why people get addicted to them seeing how they tend to make you feel so warm and fuzzy when you take them but I also know When I need them I need them, they make me throw up, and I can't waste them for fun. Like I said I THINK this is the first time I've taken anything since around 09 when everything went to ka ka for me and one of them was the BIG rocks getting smashed. Worst thing in the world is suddenly having a severe attack with major pain and not having any hard core pain meds and no way to get any till you see a DR which may take a while and by then the attack has probably passed.
I remember the medical school here gave me extra strength Tylenol and Ibuprofen for the two huge ones slowly working through. I was in pain after about 4pm most days for a year and only missed like 3 days of work. I have had to be taken home a few times when a sudden unexpected attack or something hit me real hard but that is extremely rare and I never take the heavy stuff at work, too dangerous. I MAY have been given that one of the times I ended up in the emergency room as I remember being given a pain shot when they knew I wasn't driving home and it helped a lot.

Rolanda

Oh, ABSOLUTELY! REAL pain is NOT a joke! Reminds you how human you are. LOL
Like I said, with Tramadol I don't get that LOOPY/Dizzy/out of control feeling (that could be the HIGH, I don't know), that is accompanied by nausea. I think its worth a try with your Doctor. I can't imagine the acute pain a passing a kidney stone causes. I've been in labor... But not a couple times a year! :bignono: