• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What I did Sunday

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well many of you probably know I have had kidney stone issues for years. Here's what I was doing from mid morning to about 2:30 am. A bouncing baby kidney stone:rant: As though going into the Emergency room a few weeks ago, and having my back pop the week before that wasn't enough:facepalm: I have grown to realize when my back goes out many times a kidney stone soon follows but haven't had any for a while since I started doing B6 and magnesium that is supposed to change the chemistry in the kidneys so the oxilate and calcium don't bind to make rocks
Stone left.jpg Stone right.jpg
I rediscovered some of my happy pills I haven't used since about 2009 and which actually don't go bad, just get less effective with time. They still try to make me throw up when they wear off but it took the edge off and luckily it wasn't a bad attack and it was tiny.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
WOW

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds painful.

They say bad things come in 3's (Who "they" are? I have no clue but that's what they say) so hopefully there will be no more misfortune in your future.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
OK what happy pills are we speaking of????

Reminds me I did not take my vitamins. Done!
I'm supposed to have small gallstones from a ultrasound 2 years ago but they lost the other one with the endometrial cysts!!!!

I have 2006 vicodin stashed & I wanted to take one before that endometrial biopsy from hell
but was afraid of how I would react to it as I didn;t need any thing like deep nausea to add to the discomfort.

Was speaking to my friend in NY about our woes & she has alot of those kidney stones.

:sadhug2:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
That was a tiny one. The first two I had were the size of my little finger nail and took a year to pass back when I was about 28. The last BIG ones were 11.5 and 7.5 mm and doc figured I'd never pass them so they smashed them, one in each kidney and I wizzed gravel for a week then passed a bunch of smaller ones that had backed up behind the bigger one.
Me and OXI's have become friends over the years but I ONLY use them when I hurt badly, they make me throw up and are hard on the body.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Oxycontin...gave it to my friend when he was dying of pancreas cancer in 99.
Hope I never need it.

My ....too bad they weren't diamonds...you'd be rich,,,:rofl:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I ramp up, if it's minor Tylenol and Ibuprofen, a little worse, Vicodin, still worse Percocet or Oxycontin, the faster acting ones, and yes they usually make me throw up too and my percocets are from 2009 when the last big ones were smashed. I keep a stash and my urologist knows it and said if I ever need any help he's there. Luckily he had a surprise kidney stone attack himself so he knows what it feels like and will give out meds when he knows you really have them. He was going to let me use the ones I was given for my broken arm in 2009 but I reminded him I might have more attacks down the road so he wrote me a script for some more just in case. Like I said I THINK this is the first time I've taken any since 09 or 10.
That lil guy was about 1mm I think and was MOSTLY the oxilate, the brown pill, the spiky part is the calcium starting to make crystals on the outside.
The B6 and Magnesium seem to cut way back on the size and also the calcium crystal part doesn't form as fast so they pass way easier as they don't dig in all the way out.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Oxycontin...gave it to my friend when he was dying of pancreas cancer in 99.
Hope I never need it.

My ....too bad they weren't diamonds...you'd be rich,,,:rofl:
I have small jars and pill bottles full of my rocks, maybe I should make jewelry. Wish I had the first two monsters I slowly passed, they were outright small rocks.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Ouch! Hope there aren't more to come.
Be careful taking old meds. Those chemicals can change over time and do more harm than good. I usually keep some meds around for about 2 years, but after that, I chunk them and get refills if/when needed. I am scared of a pain pill becoming a hallucinogen. Some already say I am out of my mind, don't need the extra help. :wacky:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Sorry you were having so much "fun".
While I have never had kidney stones, as a nurse I have seen big tough stoic men on their knees with tears in their eyes. No they didn't outright cry but you could tell they wanted too.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ouch! :sorry:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Wow - sorry man. I haven't had a stone for about five years. That one was a 8mm and they had to blast it in the tube. I haven't been right since then. I know my day is coming again but we are trying not to let things get that bad. I don't eat spinach or kale.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm also sorry Terry! :hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Poor you! :hug8::hug8::hug8:

I'm so sorry. :(

I only go as far as percocet.... but they DID just pass medical marijuana here in Florida....

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I think one of those actually has Oxi in it and sometimes when a jagged one is digging it's way out Oxi is about all that will touch it and sometimes it still breaks through and you just curl up and wait for it to stop moving.
I have researched the meds I take and they said they just loose potency as long as the pills look OK. Plus many meds used to have a much longer shelf life but they are so scared folks will horde them to get addicted on they claim all pills expire after a year now which is BS. And yes I have hurt so bad I wanted to scream or cry before but it doesn't so any good and my pain tolerance is pretty high now. Only good thing is the minute it stops moving the pain stops so there is that as well, or when it finally drops into the bladder, then it stings till it gets ready to pass.
Thanks everyone for listening and caring and they say it's as close to childbirth pain a man will ever get, but I have also heard women say it's worse though for me it varies according to where it is, how big, and how spiky it is.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yikes! Sorry you had to go through all that pain.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Correct me if I'm wrong @zoo mom, but I think I remember that Percoset is Oxycodone and Tylenol and Percodan is Oxycodone and Aspirin NSAID (that I can't take). My stomach won't tolerate the NSAIDs.

Sorry Terry, I know they hurt horribly.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well this lil guy wasn't too bad, just enough to make me decide to take my meds rather then tough it out like I've done before with ugly results as once the pain really gets going it takes more and longer to kill it, it also will drive your blood pressure way up too as your core tightens up trying to fight it. I had 195/110 one night, then a hour later after the pills kicked in it was down to about 120/80 or so. The last few small ones I passed I had no idea they were there till I felt the stinging in my bladder so I knew one had dropped. All it was was the little brown oxilate part and no calcium crystals had formed at all so I guess it just sailed through me and out. at this point in my life I just say it is what it is and try to keep up with the special vitamins and keep a bit hydrated. My urologist said they could give me stuff but eventually the body stops responding to it so lets just say after 30 years you just make stones, he also said I had big stones...I don't think he meant the rocks, after all that time dealing with them.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Correct me if I'm wrong @zoo mom, but I think I remember that Percoset is Oxycodone and Tylenol and Percodan is Oxycodone and Aspirin NSAID (that I can't take). My stomach won't tolerate the NSAIDs.

Sorry Terry, I know they hurt horribly.
Thanks, and you are right Percoset is Oxi and Tylenol, it gives the generic names and amount of both on my bottle so if you take it you are taking Oxi's with all the good and bad they entail, like the throwing up after they start to wear off.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
@Hankmacaw you are correct.

Narcotics help the pain of kidney stones in 2 ways. 1 it makes the patient more comfortable. 2 it relaxes the ureter so the stone passes a little easier.