• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Fruits/Veggies Next?

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
Simba is a great eater. Once we try a fruit/veggie, he'll try it too...here's a list of what we tried and the results:

Dried Fruits- SUPER YUMMY!
Apples- SUPER YUMMY!
Strawberries- Didn't Try 'Em
Mangos- Didn't Try 'Em
Fresh Blackberries- YUMMY!
Grapes- YUMMY!
Carrots- SUPER YUMMY!
Lettuce/Spinach- Eh

Here's a picture of Simba eating his favorite veggie- Carrots! He's already downed a whole organic baby carrot...and gets mad when we try to break down the large pieces for him...He's on my little sister's shoulder...turning her shirt orange :lol:

Photo on 2013-07-24 at 10.47.jpg

So the question is...what's next? And is there a specific plan we should make...or give him what we have off-hand?

I know certain fruits and veggies provide certain vitamins and nutrients...so should we match up fruits and veggies to give the best nutritional value every day? Or sort of go with the flow? I know my parents will appreciate it if I know what fruits and veggies I need from the farmers market at a specific time.

And what other fruits and veggies do I need to introduce/should I introduce?

Please share your experiences! :D Thanks in advance :heart:

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
I really don't feed a lot of fruit. Maybe once or twice a week, and it's usually something like kiwi, banana, strawberry, blueberry, or a type of melon like honeydew or cantaloupe.

Veggie wise, I dice up a bunch each week and keep them in a container so I don't have to cut fresh every day. This week they are eating collard greens, red bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, corn, cucumber, yellow and green squash, carrot, and snow peas. I also toss in some small pasta like orzo to suck up some of the moisture.

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What type of lettuce were you feeding? You may already know, but dont feed iceberg lettuce as it has little nutrients and can give em the runs :) sorry if you knew and meant another kind :)

My cockatoo eats but doesnt love spinach/silverbeet, but he loves kale! Give it a shot :)

Like Steve said, I feed snow peas (a favourite),
various colours of capsicum
A range of chilli types, hot and mild
Pomegranate is a huge favourite. ..my lad doesnt eat fruit in most cases but loves his pomegranate
Purple carrots are his ultimate favourite (hates orange ones)
Yellow squash (im not sure of the American term as we dont call anything else here squash)
Corn on the cob on a skewer for shredding/eating inbetween
You can try getting an artichoke head, washing it, and putting slices of fruit and veges within the leaves as fun foraging and a toy to rip up :)

FidFlock

Real Name
Nikki
What type of lettuce were you feeding? You may already know, but dont feed iceberg lettuce as it has little nutrients and can give em the runs :) sorry if you knew and meant another kind :)

My cockatoo eats but doesnt love spinach/silverbeet, but he loves kale! Give it a shot :)

Pomegranate is a huge favourite. ..my lad doesnt eat fruit in most cases but loves his pomegranate
Yellow squash (im not sure of the American term as we dont call anything else here squash)
You can try getting an artichoke head, washing it, and putting slices of fruit and veges within the leaves as fun foraging and a toy to rip up :)
I knew about iceberg lettuce, but it's always nice to have a refresher course ;) I feed romaine. I will definitely try kale and all of these other veggies! Thanks for the info...Simba's going to have a party :lol:

truste

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
What a cutie Simba is! I wish my GCCs were such good eaters - they'll only eat sweet fruits :rant:. Since they ignore veggies, I don't have any great tips for you, but you could try pumpkin, sweet potato, and various peppers. As far as fruits, mine like grapes, peaches, apples, pear, pomegranate and cherries (remove the pit as it's toxic).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Remember: dark green and dark orange are always the most nutrient dense.

I, too, feed minimal fruits, and try fresh over dried whenever possible. I also stick to berries (cherries, blueberries, and pomegranate for the most part) and orange fruits (papaya, melon, mangos). I avoid grapes because there is little nutritional content in them and they are high in sugar. Apple and orange are an occasional treat.

Favorites around here are:

sweet potato
pumpkin
kale
carrots
turnip greens
beets
beet greens
sugar snap peas
corn
squash (any variety)
hot peppers
bell peppers
spinach (in small amounts)
broccoli
cauliflower
brussel sprouts
sprouted seeds (alfalfa, broccoli, mung beans, red clover, etc)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sweet potato and corn on the cob are a favourite over here. They go nuts over raspberries, too. I find that my birds don't eat broccoli heads, but love the stems. And bell peppers are quite loved too.

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather
Pickles is a bit shorter than simba but I try to give him fresh fruits and veggies whenever i can. He goes bonkers for fresh raw peas. Can't be frozen or cooked. He knows! His absolute favorite treat is a slice of cucumber. I attach it to the cage bars with a plastic clothes peg. Boy do I have to watch my fingers when I'm putting it in! He goes completely crazy for it. I know for pickles to try something he's very much monkey see monkey do. Usually with me. Occasionaly with the 'tiels if i'm home with him and he sees them chowing down. Hope this helps.

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather

By "yellow squash" do you mean a veggie that looks like a yellow zucchini? If so, up here that's typically known as summer squash. In canada we have TONS of different squashes. Trust me, one of my jobs is a grocery store cashier, i'd know. :)

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
By "yellow squash" do you mean a veggie that looks like a yellow zucchini? If so, up here that's typically known as summer squash. In canada we have TONS of different squashes. Trust me, one of my jobs is a grocery store cashier, i'd know. :)

Not quite :) I think you might even call them Button squash...theyre small, yellow, and sort of the shape of a spinning top lol

FidFlock

Real Name
Nikki
Carrots are definitely his favorite :lol:Whenever we try to break it up into smaller pieces so he can mouth it, he yells at us. I interpret it as "Hey! You with the hair! Quit eating MY carrots!" :hehe:

Will definitely try some of these other goodies. Simba is going to have a field day...and I can just imagine the mess :rofl:

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I try and offer as much as a variety as I can. What ever happens to be in season. =) I try and give fresh over frozen like others here, its always better fresh!

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I agree with others more veggies than fruit. Favourites with my birds are...

Sweet corn
Carrot
Pumpkin (lightly cooked)
Sweet Potato 9lightly cooked)
green beans
snow peas
bok choy
tat soy
baby spinach leaves
broccoli
cauliflower
zucchini
fresh sprouts - mung beans, alfalfa, sunflower. quinoa, (If you are new to sprouting Leslie Morans book is good to get you started)

many birds will also love cooked brown rice, cooked quinoa, cooked soup beans ei. lentils, split peas, chickpeas, 5 bean mix etc.. make sure that are cooked until soft though as some varieties if not cook properly can be toxic)

While your bird is young starting him on a mash/chop meal is also a great idea this helps offer a balanced meal and they will get a little bit of everything in each mouthful and helps them to be less fussy with their vegies :D You can make up a batch and freeze into daily portions which makes it time saving on busy days too. All you need to do is choose a wide variety of fresh foods and cooked grains and legumes pop it in a food processor and pulse until you get a nice fine chopped veggies. You can then sprinkle fresh sprouts on top (to get the highest nutritional value you want to feed them while they are living so freezing these isn't ideal).

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather
Not quite :) I think you might even call them Button squash...theyre small, yellow, and sort of the shape of a spinning top lol
OH I think I know what you're talking about. If they have kind of ridges along the edge than we call them Patypans

FidFlock

Real Name
Nikki
My vet gave me this awesome recipe for the "Complete Hookbill Diet"

It really looks good, maybe I can even get my budgie to eat it! (He won't eat any fruits/veggies except carrots :( despite us trying SO hard) I'll put it up here later :o: