• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does weaned mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artistic Feathers

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jenn
What does weaned truly mean?
I know eating on their own but every species has a different time frame right?
What is the time frame for a conure vs a quaker and vice versa?

Breeders tend to say "they just weaned" instead of the date they were born. I mean it's good to know they are eating on their own but that seems like such a vague statement to make about the age of a baby bird?

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
every bird is different i had 4 budgies and 3 finches that were into week 8 and still wanted hand feeding food regularly and others iv fed at week 4 they were done no more food for them they said but i know the bigger the bird the longer it takes. Some breeders don't allow baby's to chose when they ween they tell them when to....a baby must ween them selfs which to me means they are eating completely on there own for more then 2 weeks then and only then do i ever consider a baby weened

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Quakers and Conures most likely wean at the same time or close to it

I haven't had the pleasure to raise baby Quakers yet, but I've raised 1 Conure so far (green cheek) he was Born Jan 1 2010 and was fully weaned by 2 months old He went to his new home when he was 3 months and 1 day old

Weaned means they're 100% eating on their own and don't beg to be hand fed any more at all.

When I put mine up for sale I usually don't put them up until they are weaned Sometimes depending on how many I have and what they are I'll advertise them before weaned for people to put deposits on the baby they want

all my ads list the date they were born.

but every bird is different like almost all the tiels I've hand fed have been weaned by 2 months old I still have one taking formula 2 times a day and he'll be 3 months old tomorrow my budgies are usually weaned by 2 to 2 1/2 months old

but I've noticed a huge difference between weaning times of hand fed vs. parent raised All my Hand fed budgies are weaned and eating on their own by 1 to 1 1/2 months old same with my tiels

for some reason they seem to wean faster when parent raised

Last edited:

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
Cody our new baby grey was suppose to be weaned at least that is what the breeder said on the phone to me before we went to go pick him up then when we got their she pulls out a syringe and some harrisons formula and tells me he is still takeing 1 handfeeding , his nightly one , Cody is 15 weeks old and is not even close to be weaned he begs every night for his formula so I think we have at least another month for him to be weaned even though he eats everything under the sun and he just loves food

Ladyredwingrider

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Moni
My little Hahn (Oliver) is 12 wks and is still on 3 feedings a day. He has dry food in his cage and he picks at it but he wants his feeding...

Status
Not open for further replies.