• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does over-preening look like?

maimaie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Luca, our GCC, is about 5. Several years ago we went through some pretty substantial changes in our flock when we moved and added a cat to the family (he and the cat never meet, he just gets less attention). He seemed to take this in stride, however, this past year we've noticed some additional behavior changes.

He has bonded to me very strongly. He basically ignores all attention from Doug, my BF. If I am in the room Doug does not exist. If I am not in the room, Luca only accepts attention from Doug if he knows that I am not in the house (ie when still at work, or traveling)! Along with this he seems to be searching for a mate and regurgitating a lot (I posted about this in another thread, and we have confirmed with our vet its not related to any underlying medical condition).

About a month ago I noticed that a path of feathers on his lower left side, above his leg, were not as full as the right side. None of the feathers were completely missing. Rather it looked like the ends of the feathers had been damaged and fell off or removed. I searched the internet for over preening, but all I get it images and articles about plucking.

Is over-preening a precursor to plucking? What does over preening look like? What other feather destructive behaviors should I look for? Can someone direct me to an article (or thread) with good information?

I don't have a picture now, but I will try to get one and upload it.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
This is overpreening. Sweden also plucks. She plucked years before she started over preening her self, so in her case it did not lead to plucking, as she plucked first.
In the beginning, she plucked her legs, then she started on her tummy. She now has under her wings also plucked a bit.
She started this over preening about a year or so ago. She's 22 years old, and started plucking about 8 years ago.
Sometimes it gets worse, sometimes it's better.
She should have smooth glossy feathers, not these tattered, shredded ones.

102.jpg

maimaie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
@macawpower58
Thank you for the picture. I was trying to get a picture of Luca's feathers, then he decided it was bath time. So now all of him is.... WET!

IMG_3842.jpg

We take bath time very seriously around here!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Wet does make it hard to tell, but the wing I see looks like it could be overpreening.

Have you tried some hanging toys for him to climb under and preen?

I like a soft fleece/velour like material, one that doesn't have threads. I cut the end in long strips and Sweden will climb under it and preen the dangly ends.

Does he chew/shred at all? I've heard clean fresh ostrich feathers also work well.

maimaie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
We joke that Luca recently learned to play with toys, its been a challenge trying to find things that he likes and will regularly play with. He shreds paper and chews soft woods. We recently found a few toys that he will aggressively destroy, and we ordered 2 of everything! We rotate in new toys every week. He always has in his cage at least 1 bell, 1 paper toy, 1 soft wood toy, 1 mainly plastic/indestructible toy, 1 foraging toy, and a bowl with various foot toys. He also has a wooden bridge that he likes to destroy, and will soon be replaced.

I wasn't sure if feathers would be safe, but I like the idea of clean ostrich feathers. I'll keep an eye out for them!

I got a few more pictures yesterday. They aren't great because, of course, Luca was more interested in what i was doing with my phone than holding still.

IMG_3843.jpg
IMG_3845.jpg

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Overpreening is something that young birds normally do, this due to young birds learning how to preen. Although older birds have been known overpreen. I seen advice to collect feathers, attach them to a board and hang next to perch for the bird to practice preening on. (sterilise the feathers first) This stops them from damaging their own feathers.

At five years old, the problem seems to be stemming from the need to breed. He is sexually frustrated and his chosen mate (you) isn't returning his gestures of love. I would look for ways to reduce the triggers for breeding. Rubbing his beak, back & wings, warm mushy food, dark places and nesting material can trigger the breeding mode. If you stop these actions you may reduce the need for breeding But you can't completely eliminate it, or get him a mate and that can have problems too.

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
My rescue is a plucker and an overpreener. I've found that her plucking usually happens when her overpreening goes in overload - she's 14 and it's sadly become habit. She's gotten a lot better but it still happens every now and then. This toy has been a huge help in getting her beak busy (she's afraid of a lot of toys):
ARO035 Aronico Aglet Heaven Small - ARONICO

They have a larger one too - Jade loves chewing the shoestrings. I give her lots and lots of praise when I see her chewing on them. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Does he fly?