• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meredith
Now that baby is settling in here (she's still very much on her best behavior, but she's becoming comfortable here very quickly) what can I expect as far as behavior from her? I assume at this age she will most likely start to become hormonal as winter approches. I've seen sites regarding the large 'toos and the damage they can and do inflict on human family members. To be honest, it concerns me a great deal. So far she's not been on the floor chasing anyone, but she does do some pretty fantastic displaying/vocalizing on top of her cage. There is a place in Florida I've heard of that takes in unwanted, often aggressive Cockatoos and provides them with as close to a natural environment as possible, with huge enclosures and if possible a mate.... I have so little experience with cockatoos except holding them for beak, wing, and nail trims....
What do you guys think? I'm a little alarmed by what I've seen and read thus far.... HELP? :(:confused:

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I hope that someone will come in soon and help you, but I will say that not every cockatoo is crazy uncontrollable. So don't get frantic yet. Just don't over stimulate her. Read up on how to read their body language so you know when and where to not handle her.

Ok, cockatoo experts where are ya? :hehe:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Meredith, I was wondering if this decision to possibly rehome Baby is because of you getting Riley. I understand you may be overwhelmed. Toos definitely take a different kind of Parront, but you can still be that parront. She has only been with you such a short time. True, you are in the "Honeymoon" period, so they say. As time goes on you will see different behavior from her. Some will be good, some bad. You have to decide if you want to offer her the love and care she deserves and work through the hard parts. There is definite good possibilities for both of.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Hi Meredith, I was wondering if this decision to possibly rehome Baby is because of you getting Riley. I understand you may be overwhelmed. Toos definitely take a different kind of Parront, but you can still be that parront. She has only been with you such a short time. True, you are in the "Honeymoon" period, so they say. As time goes on you will see different behavior from her. Some will be good, some bad. You have to decide if you want to offer her the love and care she deserves and work through the hard parts. There is definite good possibilities for both of.
Hi Judy...that's a fair concern considering the timing of this whole thing. But actually no...I would love to keep her! When I first got her, I wasn't sure if I would be keeping her because I really have no experience. It's only been about 5 days and I know she's on good behavior right now, and I do expect changes once she's comfortable. In the mean time, I've been reading and researching everything I can about these guys because I want to be able to provide a proper home for her. The more I read, and heard about the Moluccans, the more I began to realize I may be in over my head.... HOWEVER, that being said, my Irish blood never was one to back down from a challenge! I just don't know if she's going to be one of those birds that attacks everyone but the favorite person....and it's not like you can expect warning that an attack is coming, at least not from what I've learned....
I'm really trying not to freak out...I have really gotten to like her and enjoy giving her new things to do and try and watching her discover them. So far she seems happy. I'm not into just tossing out one thing because something new and shiney comes by...I really want help here to make the best possible decision for Baby as well as for my family. I have a new grandson due in November who will be here and that's something else I have to consider as well as am I able to provide for Baby the best place/environment to keep her happy and healthy (mentally as well as physically) for the next 60+ years.
Any and all help, advice, input is welcomed! :o:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Females don't tend to get as crazy during hormones as the males "generally". They more often get nesty and will want to lay eggs so special attention must be given to their diet to ensure they are getting proper nutrition because of the egg laying.

The first few seasons of hormones are always the worst. They get confused and frustrated because they don't really know how to handle the "itch". They start to get hormones anywhere from 5 - 8 years old.

They're all individuals so there is no telling how they will be. She could be an angel or a devil. Do you know for sure it's a girl?? No need to beat around the bush, cockatoos are a big handful even when they are angels.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
5 days is not long enough to know anything about her personality. It will be a good couple of months before you will really know what you have. She's going to need lots of activities to keep her happy and as much space as you can give her to do it. I'm not talking about a big cage. That is a given. She is going to need play areas outside that cage where she will be able to chip, shred and destroy.

If you provide those things and teach your grandson to respect the bird and to keep his distance for the time being there shouldn't be a problem. If it's a newborn baby it should not be a problem anyway as long as you don't put the baby in the cage. :D

If a baby is exposed to noise right from the beginning it will not bother them and be a natural thing.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Thank you for the great input John! GREATLY appreciated! I don't know for sure if she's a female, and I plan to have her DNA'd asap.
With the exception of church or a quick trip to the store, I'm home pretty much 24/7 and as long as I am, Baby is out of cage. It's basically just a place to put her food and water and for her to sleep. I try to keep as much wood and other chewable/shredable constructive destructables for her and offer them in varying ways. I don't mind if she's a handful...as long as she doesn't actively start stalking and attacking people. Above all I want HER to be happy.
OH...and note to self....do NOT put the grandbaby in the cage! NO NO NO! :lol:
Thanks again John for the info!!! :)

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Meredith, please don't take offense. I was just saying that maybe having two new large birds was overwhelming for you. I know you did a lot of research on baby. I know you want what is best for her. I think you would be a wonderful parront for her. John gives excellent advice.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
No offense taken Judy! :D I actually decided to add a little more info on where I was coming from than what I put in my original post. You didn't offend me at all! :hug8:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
How old is Baby, do you know what kind of situation she/he came from?

If you can develop the relationship with him/her that he/she can be with you even if s/he is on a treestand that is a good thing. If you can show h/her independence you will go far.
Usually the big cockatoos that I know that go after feet are the ones that don't have shoes on, so, when I know there is a 'Too out that likes to travel my shoes are on. When you make a joke out of them going after your feet, you have rewarded the unwanted behavior, so best to ignore it. Just don't step on them in the process.

Good luck!

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Well, I do know that I'm at least her 3rd home and she's approximately 8 years old. Her last home she had for 4 years and was with a vet tech co worker of mine. When she got her Baby was supposedly 4 years old and had completely plucked her chest bald. Baby was becoming a nuisance screamer and her dust was seriously aggirvating my friend's allergies, so when she heard that I had lost Tiku, she offered to give me Baby.
Baby was okay with her, but preferred her husband and he could interact more with her than my friend could. So far, she will step up to let me get her out of her cage and take her to her play stand, but afterward she wants little to do with me. She spends most of the day entertaining herself, and I will go over and talk to her from time to time. Occasionally she will allow me to give her scritches or will take a tidbit of food from me if I offer it to her.
That's about all I know of her previous life....OH, and her first owner was a police officer, so she mimics the scanner. It's pretty funny! LOL!
So far she's beginning to explore. She's not comfortable getting onto the floor yet, but will go down to the bottom of her play stand or her cage and just "beak" at the floor. She's used to carpet I think and doesn't know what to think about linoleum. LOL!

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Thank you for the great input John! GREATLY appreciated! I don't know for sure if she's a female, and I plan to have her DNA'd asap.
With the exception of church or a quick trip to the store, I'm home pretty much 24/7 and as long as I am, Baby is out of cage. It's basically just a place to put her food and water and for her to sleep. I try to keep as much wood and other chewable/shredable constructive destructables for her and offer them in varying ways. I don't mind if she's a handful...as long as she doesn't actively start stalking and attacking people. Above all I want HER to be happy.
OH...and note to self....do NOT put the grandbaby in the cage! NO NO NO! :lol:
Thanks again John for the info!!! :)
I don't have cockatoos but I am an animal trainer and I can tell you that if you HEAVILY reinforce every single she does that you like such as stepping up, stepping down, moving around her cage, etc you will have a better chance of her repeating those behaviors. Since things are going well, spend this time reinforcing the heck out of all these great choices she is making. A lot of people manage through hormonal times find and it seems to me that the people who have the most success are the ones who work around the bird and respect their limits when they are going through challenging periods:)

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
That does make alot of sense Vicki! Do you or anyone else have any suggestions on what I can do at the present time when she's still pretty much "hands off"? She's not lunging or biting at me, she just would rather turn her back on me and ignore me. She will come to me for scritches once in a great while, and I give her praise and scritches when she steps up for me...Occasionally she will accept a piece of fruit or veggie, or maybe a peanut or a piece of cereal from me as a reward, but usually she has to be in the mood even to think about taking it. Her normal reaction is the birdy version of giving me the finger and walking away. LOL!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
That does make alot of sense Vicki! Do you or anyone else have any suggestions on what I can do at the present time when she's still pretty much "hands off"? She's not lunging or biting at me, she just would rather turn her back on me and ignore me. She will come to me for scritches once in a great while, and I give her praise and scritches when she steps up for me...Occasionally she will accept a piece of fruit or veggie, or maybe a peanut or a piece of cereal from me as a reward, but usually she has to be in the mood even to think about taking it. Her normal reaction is the birdy version of giving me the finger and walking away. LOL!
I would start clicker training her. If you go the training court, there are some lessons in there. I would teach her to target (touch a target stick) which can help you move her around the cage. You could teach her to station which means go to a certain spot. These things will help you manage if she gets really hands off. And, maybe work on step up. You can even do tricks as enrichment and to strengthen your relationship with her.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Baby was okay with her, but preferred her husband and he could interact more with her than my friend could.
This is a pretty revealing statement. I'm not saying it will happen but if she chose a male in the past she will most likely "favor" another male in the future.

I agree with Vicki to get on her good side and earn as much trust as you can "now" before she has made up her mind as to who she is going to choose. You can still be a great friend even if she chooses the man of the house (I'm assuming there is one?) but you will need to interact differently. Always calm, confident and positive energy. "Your" body language is and always will be a key factor if she does not choose you.

------> http://forums.avianavenue.com/train...unicating-your-highly-intelligent-parrot.html

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Vicki and John, you guys are truely a godsend! I can't thank you enough for your insight, and help! I will check those links out that you provided and start working with her right away! I can't tell you guys how much your help means to me! :hug8:
I forgot to ask... She is fully flighted, so would it help me to work with her if I clipped her? Or would that really not make much difference? She doesn't fly off my arm once she's stepped up...at least not yet. Any insight on this?

Last edited:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I may...There is no reason to clip her. If she was being a danger to you or herself, maybe. But she seems happy and comfortable stepping up for you. Right now she needs to have confidence in her self due to the new situation. JMHO.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Now that baby is settling in here (she's still very much on her best behavior, but she's becoming comfortable here very quickly) what can I expect as far as behavior from her? I assume at this age she will most likely start to become hormonal as winter approches. I've seen sites regarding the large 'toos and the damage they can and do inflict on human family members. To be honest, it concerns me a great deal. So far she's not been on the floor chasing anyone, but she does do some pretty fantastic displaying/vocalizing on top of her cage.

I recommend getting some good behavioral books on parrots, these books along with reading behavioral articles online, are a huge help.

There is a place in Florida I've heard of that takes in unwanted, often aggressive Cockatoos and provides them with as close to a natural environment as possible, with huge enclosures and if possible a mate.... I have so little experience with cockatoos except holding them for beak, wing, and nail trims....
What do you guys think? I'm a little alarmed by what I've seen and read thus far.... HELP? :(:confused:
Oh no! I hope your not thinking about rehoming her:(

I do not like the sounds of this "sanctuary" or "rescue". If you decide to give her to them, GO to them, check them out, and get to know them 100%.

Cockatoos that get behavior problems or act hormonal and act like they want to mate do NOT need mates... This is big pet peeve of mine. Many peopel think that when a cockatoo gets "un-manageble" and starts to bite or scream a lot, that they need a mate :(:rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I forgot to ask... She is fully flighted, so would it help me to work with her if I clipped her? Or would that really not make much difference? She doesn't fly off my arm once she's stepped up...at least not yet. Any insight on this?
Unfortunately for those that think clipping helps, it helps only for short term. A cockatoo does not need to be able to fly to get into trouble and do mischief. It often takes just a couple days for the 'too to get used to its disability for it to move on and learn how to be naughty with a clip.

I personally would not clip her.:)

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Good....thank you for the reinforcement of my own judgement on both of these accounts! I don't want to rehome her if at all possible, and I definitely prefer to leave my birds flighted. I never trimmed Tiku's wings, and never had the need to. I have 2 good behavior books by Mattie Sue Athan (Companion Parrot Behavior and Guide to a Well Behaved Parrot) that I've had for a number of years in preparation for the day I got Tiku. I find them invaluable! I also have gotten so much more help with Baby from you all, and I can never thank you enough!! It's just been difficult because I've never owned a 'too before and I find everything about her absolutely mystifying! LOL!
You guys....all of you....you're just the best! I need ALOT of help with this girl, cuz like I said before, I'm a total 'too-idiot! I hope you don't get irritated with my incessant questions and naievity! :o:

Status
Not open for further replies.