• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what do you think about this cage ?

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Considering I don't speak French, I couldn't really tell much about it. However, based on the picture and what I assume are the dimensions it seems like a nice cage. :)
What is the bar spacing? I didn't know which number it was lol.

Also, a conure/the other small birds you are considering will require a cage with smaller bar spacing than a ringneck. Small conures shouldn't have any more than 3/4th of an inch bar spacing, 1/2 and 5/8ths of an inch are recommend. I'm not sure on the spacing for a ringneck, but they need a bigger/heavier duty cage. :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not sure but think the bar guage is 2mm & spacing 10mm? Thats thin & under 1/2 inch spacing if I'm guessing OK.

3/4 inc h bar spacing for a small conure would probably be too big...I'd max on 5/8 for the, Meyers can handle 3/4

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
Considering I don't speak French, I couldn't really tell much about it. However, based on the picture and what I assume are the dimensions it seems like a nice cage. :)
What is the bar spacing? I didn't know which number it was lol.

Also, a conure/the other small birds you are considering will require a cage with smaller bar spacing than a ringneck. Small conures shouldn't have any more than 3/4th of an inch bar spacing, 1/2 and 5/8ths of an inch are recommend. I'm not sure on the spacing for a ringneck, but they need a bigger/heavier duty cage. :)
Not sure but think the bar guage is 2mm & spacing 10mm? Thats thin & under 1/2 inch spacing if I'm guessing OK.

3/4 inc h bar spacing for a small conure would probably be too big...I'd max on 5/8 for the, Meyers can handle 3/4
thanks both of you for the info:

the bar spacing is 0,393701 inch which is 1cm

the cage is 37,79 inch Long which is 96 cm

22,83 inch large which is 58cm

39,76 inch high which is 101 cm if the cage isn't on the cage stand

cammelotshadow you guessed almost right for the bar spacing but 2mm is actually 0.078 inch which is the thickness of the cage bars

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I said guage but I guess I should have said thickness of bars is 2mm...which is sort of thin as my cage has 3.5mm bar thickness & its not an really thick bar.

Almost 40in side is really wide if thats what it is.

A cage that spans that wide would need a strong frame but I'm not sure about the sturdyness of the bars....they could bend easily/ & the spacing betwen them is very small less than a half inch which is not common,

Still if thats a good price them it could work but not sure how it would last over the years...
;Looks OK

Has feed doors & cups so thats good.

Last edited:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It looks like a very nice cage. Nice size and safe bar spacing. And the quality looks nice in the photos, although I don't know anything about that brand. I thought it looked like the extra large HQ flight cage when I first saw it, they make a very similar looking cage.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
I said guage but I guess I should have said thickness of bars is 2mm...which is sort of thin as my cage has 3.5mm bar thickness & its not an really thick bar.

Almost 40in side is really wide if thats what it is.

A cage that spans that wide would need a strong frame but I'm not sure about the sturdyness of the bars....they could bend easily/ & the spacing betwen them is very small less than a half inch which is not common,

Still if thats a good price them it could work but not sure how it would last over the years...
;Looks OK

Has feed doors & cups so thats good.
the cage is roomy and i know that Montana makes strong sturdy cages because i know people that bought montana cages and i got to see them but you are right the bars seem to be thin and i have no idea how many years bars like that can be good before being damaged. sorry my english isn't great i hope you understand me :/ im better at speaking rather than writing.

i was also thinking about 2 other cages :

the first is this one but i don't think i can fit it in my appartment !

Madeira Double platinium - Cages - Perroquet : Cages et Transport - Boutique perroquets
madeira double detail met vogel.jpg

or my third choice was to buy the cage i used to have for my black capped conure and cockatiel !
DSCF1538.JPG DSCF3219.JPG DSCF3265.jpg DSCF1246.JPG

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The doors with frame are much better on your first choice & for smaller birds who won;t bend the bars it shoudl be fine you just have to be careful.

The current cage the bars are sort of the coated wire type & the doors are wire without a frame but its likely cheaper. Its hard for the bird to sit on the doors..See your guy wrapping his toes around the wire. A door with a frame they love to sit on that & you can put a perch on it & it won;t drag the door down

Get the biggest you can fit & afford.

Your english is much better than my French...LOL. Had a french roomate,,,So proper the daughter of a diplomat & only word I remember is the curse marrr...LOL I can't spell well myself...

Last edited:

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
It looks like a very nice cage. Nice size and safe bar spacing. And the quality looks nice in the photos, although I don't know anything about that brand. I thought it looked like the extra large HQ flight cage when I first saw it, they make a very similar looking cage.
thanks for the replu ! i thought about HQ too and saw some on amazon but still haven't decided !!!:reading::reading:

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
The doors with frame are much better on your first choice & for smaller birds who won;t bend the bars it shoudl be fine you just have to be careful.

The cuttent cage the bars are sort of the coated wire type & the doors are wire without a frame but its likely cheaper.

Get the biggest you can fit & afford.
the last cage which was mine was actually the most expencive of the lot but i was looking for the bigguest cage my shop had and it was that one, the cage wasn't so bad but if i really used all my strengh i could bend all the bars that is why i was trying to find another cage rather than buying the same one again

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I like the first cage and the second (double flight cage) the best. They both look big enough to keep a busy conure happy!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wanted to get the one on the right (post #5) for one of my red-bellies but the shipping was way too high and I couldn't find it anywhere other than that one place. I'm fairly certain that @Kellie728 has that cage. Do you know exactly which bird you will be putting in the cage? The birds you listed have different needs re: bar spacing & bar gauge.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
I like the first cage and the second (double flight cage) the best. They both look big enough to keep a busy conure happy!
thank you for the reply :hug8: its good to have some feedback !

I wanted to get the one on the right (post #5) for one of my red-bellies but the shipping was way too high and I couldn't find it anywhere other than that one place. I'm fairly certain that @Kellie728 has that cage. Do you know exactly which bird you will be putting in the cage? The birds you listed have different needs re: bar spacing & bar gauge.
the one on the right post 5 which one do you mean ? , ill go check out kellie's cage threads ;):wacky:, i do not know what i will be putting in the cage but i am very attracted to what i used to own (small conures and cockatiels), my boyfriend would prefer a bigger bird because he fell in love with an umbrella cockatoo that we almost adopted ! but i don't feel ready for a BIG bird yet ... that is why i thought about ringnecks etc... but i know that if i get a bigger sizer bird than cockatiel size the cage will have to be different than those that i showed ...

do you guys have any big cage that would be good for a bigger bird than a cockatiel/black capped conure like a ringneck ? i also though about eastern rosella but i read that they make better aviary birds rather than pet birds :/ there is a breeder near my town that has a baby eastern rosella for sale and it was hard to resist !!!!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Smaller birds need the smaller bar spacing but if the cage is well built a bigger bird can use it too like the ringnecks meyers etc They both will do well in a big as cage as possible...not a too as they need strong thick bars... Ringnecks are not that much bigger. I think any bird from a smal conure to a ringneck to a meyers or even a pionus would work in that 1st cage as its got almost 40 in good width & good depth. Only thing is the bars are not that thick but the frame look oK & I don;t think any of those birds can break the bars but you would have to be a bit gentle on the cage as its not going to take knocks or abuse.

Ringeck are a bit unusual & the ones I've seen have been not too tame but that doesn't mean you can't find one just I think they are a bit more aloof.

Heard the same about Rosellas...more of an aviary bird & might not have interaction you are hoping for unless handfed & handled alot. May be good if you got 2 & did not have alot of time for interaction as they are OK by themselves if you just want the cheery company of 2 pretty birds.

I see your list of one days...Crimson bellied are my favorite. Tiels are great birds. Meyers are good birds.
Toos very challenging & grays can be more demanding just because of there intelligence. Depends on how much time you have for the bird. Some will just need more time...
You've had a small conure...all pyrrahas..sp are good birds.

Is that a Lory? Pretty birds but there special food needs & there poop would make it not for me.

Guess it depends on what bird you find that speaks to you & has a connection with you. Those make the best birds.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
Smaller birds need the smaller bar spacing but if the cage is well built a bigger bird can use it too like the ringnecks meyers etc They both will do well in a big as cage as possible...not a too as they need strong thick bars... Ringnecks are not that much bigger. I think any bird from a smal conure to a ringneck to a meyers or even a pionus would work in that 1st cage as its got almost 40 in good width & good depth. Only thing is the bars are not that thick but the frame look oK & I don;t think any of those birds can break the bars but you would have to be a bit gentle on the cage as its not going to take knocks or abuse.

Okay then i will probably go with this one as it was my first choice :bounce8::bounce8:i still have some time to think about all this as i am not going to get any birds until this winter :elfbird:

Ringeck are a bit unusual & the ones I've seen have been not too tame but that doesn't mean you can't find one just I think they are a bit more aloof.

I have a local breeder that have for sale hundfed ringnecks that is when i first got interested in thelm but i still don't know enough about their species

Heard the same about Rosellas...more of an aviary bird & might not have interaction you are hoping for unless handfed & handled alot. May be good if you got 2 & did not have alot of time for interaction as they are OK by themselves if you just want the cheery company of 2 pretty birds.

I love the beautiful coloring of rosellas but i heard the same as you, as for the type of birds im looking for, i would love to get birds with whom i have the same bond as my black capped conure and cockatiel :cheer:, i am not looking for birds with whom i wont get to have interaction and connexion with ;)

I see your list of one days...Crimson bellied are my favorite. Tiels are great birds. Meyers are good birds.
Toos very challenging & grays can be more demanding just because of there intelligence. Depends on how much time you have for the bird. Some will just need more time...
You've had a small conure...all pyrrahas..sp are good birds.

i would love to have crimpson but it is 99% impossible to find handfed ones in the south of france where i live :sad4::sad4:

same thing for meyers it is very rare to find any here, as for toos and african grey it is more like a dream than anything else :sad6:

Is that a Lory? Pretty birds but there special food needs & there poop would make it not for me.

i had the opportunity to get a lory but when i learned about feeding and behavior or the species i got a little unsure so if i get one it will not be until a while, (i hear about the "POOP" situation too :laughin::laughin:)

Guess it depends on what bird you find that speaks to you & has a connection with you. Those make the best birds.

of course i agree ! and i am also concerned because i really want my future birds to have interaction with my husband ( i say husband but it is not white like a mariage, it is called pax in french and it is more of an official agreement on paper)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Post 5...the larger of the two. The 2nd photo on the top, same would be the cage on the right in the 1st photo and the photo on the bottom. I found it for about $380 but the guy wanted to charge me about the same price for shipping. You may see a similar cage but with all vertical bars. I liked the fact that this one has both horizontal and vertical.

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I do have that HQ cage and i really like it. I have two lovebirds and the bar spacing is small enough. The food bowls are little bit big for them, but they really like the size of the cage. They can fly back and forth in them. One thing I need to watch is that when i am changing the food/water that i close the door because the space size when the food/water bowls are not in there are large enough for a lovebird to sneak out of. I found this out from experience.;) The cage is sturdy and well made.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
The only issue I have with the cages with open tops is that you probably wont use the open top. Once you start hanging toys they get heavy and it becomes a chore to try to get them open. Plus you have to worry that they will fall and hit the bird or crush.