• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you suggest?

jackk

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
jack
Hi,

How do you fix up a basement that has cracks and has started leaking? I had noticed some small cracks on the walls of my basement, but ignored it that time. Now it has started to leak and has turned into a big mess.
And I don’t know how to fix it up. Can I do it on my own using Radonseal? Will that stay long? Or will it be apt to hire waterproofing professional.

What do you all suggest?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Busy right now. In order to fix a crack like that you must have access to the outside of the wall. Trying to fix it from the inside of the wall will be a temporary patch at best. You’ve got to dig down on the outside and fill the crack from the outside.

Then you got a look for sources of water. Where is this water coming from. There’s some drainage problems outside.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Seems like a thinly veiled marketing post to me

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
What John said and you probably need to setup some kind of drain field along the wall to keep the wall from being saturated and do some kind of water proof membrane on the wall after the cracks get repaired. Fix the cracks when the weather allows with a professional or somebody that understands and can do it for you, then look at options for removing the water and sealing the wall from water penatration. If you don't keep the water out the wall will crack again down the road. Chimneys tend to fail due to water soaking in and freezing which blows out the mortar joints and cracks the bricks.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew