• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you guys use to protect your birds from getting in the tank?

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I probably will be getting a 40 gallon today. If I do, it will have to go in my bedroom with the birds. I wanted to keep it open top, but obviously can't with the birds being free flighted and pretty much out all day. There are glass tops, but so far, they all seem to only cover part of the tanks and there is a gap that is plastic. I haven't seen any in person yet, so don't really know. I may have to make something myself, but again, not sure what. Possibly plexiglass.
Please let me know what you all have done, if you keep(or have kept)fish in the same room as your birds.
Any & all advice is greatly appreciated! :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Get a sheet of eggcrate. That way the tank can still get light and gas exchange. Plexi or glass prevents this very important process. The eggcrate is sold at home improvement stores as ceiling diffuser. It is easily cut, but pieces go flying in every direction as you clip, so do it someplace where you can clean up easy. Like outside or in a garage. You can remove it when the birds are not out.

Minimac

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rick

Minimac

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rick
Looks like Carole beat me to it. :sneaky: Eggcrate works great also. Sometimes it's hard to get to fit properly though.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Get a sheet of eggcrate. That way the tank can still get light and gas exchange. Plexi or glass prevents this very important process. The eggcrate is sold at home improvement stores as ceiling diffuser. It is easily cut, but pieces go flying in every direction as you clip, so do it someplace where you can clean up easy. Like outside or in a garage. You can remove it when the birds are not out.
Thank you so much Carole!

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
You can use one of these. http://www.petco.com/product/4357/Petco-Heat-Resistant-Screen-Top.asp . That way you get plenty of Co2 exchange
and it will keep the birds safe. Is it a 40 long or a 40 breeder? If it's a breeder then the 36x18 will fit. If it's a 40 long then 48x13. Most larger pet stores have them in
the reptile section.
Probably a breeder. ;) I have one of those on the 10 gallon and it's starting to rust. :( I know my 4 will be investigating it as some point so was a little concerned about the galvanized wire too. The egg grate won't be too pretty, but I'll take it. (And with me cutting it, I'm sure it will be pretty unsightly!) :rolleyes:

Minimac

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rick
You can get them powder coated if I am not mistaken. You are probably better off with the eggcrate just to be on the safe side. I hadn't thought about the birds
getting at it just keeping them out of the tank.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
If you google there are articles, ideas, and videos probably even. People have been using this stuff a long time for tanks, especially SW fish who tend to be super jumpy. Some attach bridal veil to it for the smaller fish. I did that for bettas, like this

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
If you have smaller birds I'd definitely add the veil. We had egg crate on our 135g because our wrasse liked to jump. I'm pretty sure some of the smaller guys could get through there if they wanted to.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG you lucky duck!! :p

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Correct me if I'm wrong. Not only do you have to protect your birds from falling into a tank and drowning or drinking the water but isn't bird poo in a tank harmful for the fish? I would think it could introduce a harmful bacteria in the water and a whole new set of problems for fish keeping.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Correct me if I'm wrong. Not only do you have to protect your birds from falling into a tank and drowning or drinking the water but isn't bird poo in a tank harmful for the fish? I would think it could introduce a harmful bacteria in the water and a whole new set of problems for fish keeping.
It is sort of scary for the birds. It's a good deterrent to keep them off. Kind of like how cows don't cross those gates with the grate across them....usually. I am sure there are some birds out there who just have to get into everything no matter what, but usually this is sufficient to keep them off. It's generally used just to keep fish from jumping out.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I still plan on using paper on the areas the birds target. ;)

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry, but why is he on the floor with cats?