• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you feed your Tiel?

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I am all about nutrition with my animals. I want to feed my rescue the best I can get her... As long as she eats it. I am sure she is on cheap seeds and not fed any fruits or veggies.

So what do you feed and recomend? Brands and greens? What about suppliments and treats?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My tiels eat about 35% Roudybush and 35% Golden feast Australian blend. They also eat about 20% sprouts and fresh foods. My birds like leafy greens, broccoli, zucchini, peas, and green beans. I also give them Texas Freeze Dried Veggie Mux. Sweet potatoes and carrots would also be a good choice to try. My birds also get about 10% nutriberries, Avicakes, millet, Phoenix Foraging Green Chunks and Unpellet mix, and occasionally birdie bread and eggs. You can also give your birds whole grains, oats, etc. I don’t give my birds supplements, but sometimes I put Apple Cider vinegar in their water, and I used to give them Vetri-DMG.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know my MIL feeds Zupreem fruity for hers. Pellets help them get things that are hard to get otherwise (Vitamim d3 is one I harp about a lot), but I know seeds and veggies are important for cockatiels too.

There are a LOT of pellets on the market. I really like Hagen Tropican, but it's becoming harder to get, so I am currently feeding Mazuri. I've fed just about every pellet at one time or another! The only one I don't care for is Kaytee. I also prefer to avoid dyed foods as it colors the droppings and makes it harder to monitor that for health issues. I also try to avoid sugar but it's not always possible as I have a picky quaker!

I've compiled a list of pellets on my website Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

And an article about D3 Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I fed my tiel about 50% seeds (Avian Organics or Higgins), 10% nutriberries and the rest vegetables, rice, pasta. Tiels typically don't eat fruit. My tiel loved broccoli, cooked sweet potato, lettuce, snap peas, squash, rice and pasta (but healthy rice and pasta).

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I love Higgins for birds, my mom feeds her Keets the Higgins and I keep it on the shelf for my bird people. I stay away from Kaytee as a general rule as well- used to be amazing stuff then sold to a company that is more worried about profit then pets. I stay away from dyes in my pets food as a rule. It's really hard for birds and small animals it seems for some reason? I know I want to feed mostly pellets so I hope she is okay with them. I am doing research on how to switch them. The keets will NOT touch pellets its funny. Budgie spitting bits of food at you- they got some good aim I tell you!!

I will check your list for pellets. I am seeing a lot with a Conure/Cockatiel in the foods or Cockatiel/lovebird? I discourage this where I can with small animals since technically hams/gerbils and rats/mice all need their own things- its like lumping cat's and dog's food together in my eyes. I am not sure if that is the same in birds? I generally would think it is?

I really love Oxbow and I see some of their treats are broad spectrum- my rabbit snubbed them- but maybe the birds would like them? They seem healthy from what I read- but again my main set of research is small animal and aquatics and reptile... I really want to change that and learn all about birds too :p

When you feed veggies do you do fresh, frozen or cans? I mix squash up for my bearded dragon and peas for my fish (gold fish with swim bladder disease... ugh) I also keep frozen berries and fresh grapes and bananas around a bit so that may be a start? Try stuff that wont go to waste if she doesn't like perhaps?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I try to keep away from canned, and use mostly frozen and fresh. I usually make a huge batch and then freeze in smaller portions. I make a mix both my rats and birds can eat; parrots need a lot of vitamin A and calcium, so I make sure to add in dark leafy greens and orange veggies. More focus on veggies and grains than fruits, but they get occasional fruits. My most recent chop features a cooked grain mix, a cooked bean and lentil mix, butternut squash and seeds, green peppers, corn, green beans, carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, swiss chard, cooked super green pasta, and just a dash of hemp hearts.

There will be waste, regardless, esp as she gets used to it. Instincts say if they've never seen a flock member eat it, it could be dangerous!

As far as the pellet sizes/mixes, its based on beak size, with few exceptions. For the most part of what we know about parrots they have similar needs as far as vitamins, protein,etc. There are some exceptions; we know that macaws need more fat, pionus fare better with more vitamin A, and some do better with few pellets. So the pellets are a portion of the diet, but the diet can be adjusted as needed.

As far as I know, cockatiels do best with 50% or less of their diet being pellets.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Side question for @Mizzely Do you know how much D3 is in Harrisons pellets? I feed the extra fine with green label. Once per week I supplement Cal-D-Solve with a sprinkle over the seed blend. The d3 is .75000iu/kg 1/8th tsp.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Side question for @Mizzely Do you know how much D3 is in Harrisons pellets? I feed the extra fine with green label. Once per week I supplement Cal-D-Solve with a sprinkle over the seed blend. The d3 is .75000iu/kg 1/8th tsp.

1075 IU per kg of Adult Lifetime Fine and Super Fine. On average, without sunlight they need approx 1000 IU of D3 per kg of food consumed. For an English budgie, of 42 to 60g, who eats 20% of their body weight a day, this equals out to about 8 to 12 IU per day for maintenance.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So how many 1/8th tsp to give per week, you are better at this than I am. I do not mean to hijack this thread, sorry.
I will take them out if the weather is not too hot but Murphy hates to be handled. Mickey weighs 46 gm and Murphy weighs 52 gm.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I show that Avitech Cal-D Solve is 75600 IU/Kg, or about 9.45 IU per 1/8 tsp or 125mg (if 1 tsp = 1 gram). So that would be about 1/8 tsp a day if my math is correct :) You may be able to get away with every other day.

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
So how many 1/8th tsp to give per week, you are better at this than I am. I do not mean to hijack this thread, sorry.
Oh, please! I never would have thought to ask that! Knowledge is power they say :)

I am used to adding vitamins to my lizards diet... Never thought about a birds.

I was reading on one of the provided sites (I love cockatiel cottage!!) to tiels that they stress when enviroments change... This poor girl has lost one of its owners now home, homed in a temporary place and now coking to by house. I am afraid this will be too much?

Is there anything to feed to help with stress to help the immune system? And I never thought to ask! Essential oils... How are they with birds?

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I show that Avitech Cal-D Solve is 75600 IU/Kg, or about 9.45 IU per 1/8 tsp or 125mg (if 1 tsp = 1 gram). So that would be about 1/8 tsp a day if my math is correct :) You may be able to get away with every other day.
Consider my brain simultaneously broken and blown. Math is my weakest subject xD give me English and Lit any day! :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Essential oils are tricky because they have such sensitive respiratory systems. I don't use anything that can't be used on infants or kids under 10. I also have cats which are very sensitive also, so my options are limited.

You can try Avitech AviCalm, chamomile water (brew tea, dilute by half), and patience :)

If you are feeding a fortified pellet, usually separate vitamins are not recommended.

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I have a cat with asthma and he does okay with high quality E.O. I have Lavender going for the sake of seperation anxiety in my puppy and help with sleep. On the other side of the house than where the bird will be. Sorry for going a bit off topic on this one

I have plenty of patience thankfully. I brew camomile tea for the dogs and did for the bunny to help calm. Make it into cubes and put it in their water :) .

I dont know what she is on or what she will like so I am not sure if her food has sufficient Vitamins and all. I know I am eager to spoil her lol. I am getting her cage tonight to scrub and disinfect anything in there if its any good. Boil, bake or freeze along with vinegar and warm water.

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
Well... They gave the bird arway out from under me. I called to see if we where still on for pick up Saturday... They "forgot" and rehomed her to another family. -_- talk about a pin in my balloon.

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
I am all about nutrition with my animals. I want to feed my rescue the best I can get her... As long as she eats it. I am sure she is on cheap seeds and not fed any fruits or veggies.

So what do you feed and recomend? Brands and greens? What about suppliments and treats?
My tiels eat Zupreem Fruit Blend pellets as well as an assortment of veggies in the form of chop each and every day ♥

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It's good you are concerned about stress in your bird. Shows you care deeply.

Thanks @Mizzely for the excellent calculations. They do eat some Harrison's pellets every other day but mixed with seed so it's hard to tell how much is eaten.:thankyou:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well... They gave the bird arway out from under me. I called to see if we where still on for pick up Saturday... They "forgot" and rehomed her to another family. -_- talk about a pin in my balloon.

Oh no, I'm so sorry!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh how disappointing!:( I hope you find another bird in need of a good home soon!

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
Thank you guys. I feel weird missinv someone I never had. I will keep an eye out for another rescue. Someone told me about a cockatoo in need of a home. I dont even know if I can handle someone that big