• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you do when your 'too drives you crazy?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The screaming is what makes me crazy sometimes. So I put on some headphones or earbuds and listen to something. Sometimes I wind up shutting the bird room door. Keno started screaming at 12:30 AM today and I have no clue exactly why although I have a feeling it had to do with a cage being moved but then who knows. I wasn't going to check but sometimes she screams when something is wrong so I did go in the bird room and turned on the light. Didn't notice anything wrong so I told everyone goodnight to which Keno responded "Goodnight, go to sleep." I told her, yes it's time to go to sleep and then I turned off the light. She started screaming again so I just put my earbuds in my ears and ignored her. After about 15 mins. she stopped and all was quiet.
I think what bothered her was that I had moved Sophie's cage because I cleaned out the fish tank (have had issues and am doing more several water changes) and it smelled a little and I had the air purifier on high. Sophie's cage is near the purifier and I didn't want it blowing on her and also didn't want her near the tank. I remembered that the last time I moved the cage and put it in a different area overnight Keno also started screaming early AM so I do think that this bothers her for some reason.

Last edited:

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
The screaming is what makes me crazy sometimes. So I put on some headphones or earbuds and listen to something. Sometimes I wind up shutting the bird room door. Keno started screaming at 12:30 AM today and I have no clue why. I wasn't going to check but sometimes she screams when something is wrong so I did go in the bird room and turned on the light. Didn't notice anything wrong so I told everyone goodnight to which Keno responded "Goodnight, go to sleep." I told her, yes it's time to go to sleep and then I turned off the light. She started screaming again so I just put my earbuds in my ears and ignored her. After about 15 mins. she stopped and all was quiet.
I think what bothered her was that I had moved Sophie's cage because I cleaned out the fish tank (have had issues and am doing more several water changes) and it smelled a little and I had the air purifier on high. Sophie's cage is near the purifier and I didn't want it blowing on her and also didn't want her near the tank. I remembered that the last time I moved the cage and put it in a different area overnight Keno also started screaming early AM so I do think that this bothers her for some reason.
If only we could figure them out lol It's a constant guessing game

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
We made Buzzard's playstand out of a rolling, double garment rack. We hung toys on it & wrapped it with vet wrap for grip. I'm able to roll him from room to room with me.
View attachment 277393

The best part was it was $50 at Walmart and has pretty big wheels so it rolls easily. :dance5:And the top shelf makes it sturdy and gives me a place to put a poo-catcher and the bottom shelf holds toys and food. Love it!
This is awesome! Buzzard is beautiful!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@Barcann before doing anything too drastic, since you already have an inclement weather cage, I would just utilize that and allow her more time with you both in the house. We get a lot of enjoyment out of Freddy, although a different bird they're playful & fun. In the zoo even though she was housed alone she had the company of other animals and employees there. There was probably lots of activity for her to watch. She is a beauty though. :)

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
2's live in flocks of 10-1000's in the wild and cover lots of ground.

Most birds we keep in captivity do. I would say keeping her alone is likely driving her crazy.

Things to do...don't replace companionship. I have two birds that hate each other... But they exhibit flock tendencies still. They preen at the same time... Eat at the same time...

If she lives in a large aviary... Why not bring in another rescue?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I have two birds that hate each other... But they exhibit flock tendencies still. They preen at the same time... Eat at the same time...
It seems she would consider it, but unfortunately, that isn't easy where she's at. :( Anna is from a zoo that was destroyed by a hurricane, so that's how she got on the island.
We are older retired folks living on a Caribbean island. It is very hard at this time to import birds so getting another U2 would be hard.
Anna and me | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
It seems she would consider it, but unfortunately, that isn't easy where she's at. :( Anna is from a zoo that was destroyed by a hurricane, so that's how she got on the island.

Anna and me | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I'm not saying bring in a U2 :3
Porter and Maiboch are different species...

Here is an example.
My sister had a Hans Macaw, that I fostered for six months before she came to pick it up.
Smokey didn't like to be handled by me, which was fine I let him and all was swell.

But he LOVED to watch my budgies across the room. He wouldn't fly to their cage and left them alone, but when they ate he ate when they sang... he sang with them.

So on and so forth.
Birds need birds... not nessisarily the same species. Someone to talk back to and say ... "I am Here! You are here! We are not Alone!"
If they can partition the aviary to give another maybe smaller bird a section in which the two can SEE each other... 'talk' to each other and act as a 'flock'... Anna might be alittle less lonely.

Perhaps a rescue Cockatiel that needs a home?

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
We made Buzzard's playstand out of a rolling, double garment rack. We hung toys on it & wrapped it with vet wrap for grip. I'm able to roll him from room to room with me.
View attachment 277393

The best part was it was $50 at Walmart and has pretty big wheels so it rolls easily. :dance5:And the top shelf makes it sturdy and gives me a place to put a poo-catcher and the bottom shelf holds toys and food. Love it!
That's a great idea. I did a similar thing with a bakers rack, before I took the plunge to invest in a Java tree. :) I stretched out the cotton boing ropes and wrapped around the rack .
20160124_154819 [452677].jpeg

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I think your doing a fine job by her so far - any new pet will require you to learn about them as you go, which is exactly what you're doing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
Thank you for all your advice. I have inherited a zoo bird that has been by herself for years. I give her much more attention now than she ever got in the zio. And I am doing the best I can under the circumstances. We both are just trying to survive after a Cat 5 hurricane.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I give her much more attention now than she ever got in the zoo. And I am doing the best I can under the circumstances.
You are doing amazing, especially considering the circumstances & bless you for it. I also love that you "just happened to have an unused aviary". :joyful: That's awesome, and how serendipitous!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
2's live in flocks of 10-1000's in the wild and cover lots of ground.

Most birds we keep in captivity do. I would say keeping her alone is likely driving her crazy.

Things to do...don't replace companionship. I have two birds that hate each other... But they exhibit flock tendencies still. They preen at the same time... Eat at the same time...

I have a question, just out of my own curiosity. You say you have two birds that hate each other. Wouldn't they attack each other or fight? Or do they just not acknowledge each other....:chin:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Freddy talks to the lovebirds. That's a riot. They try to see who can be louder lol. It's to against one, so it's close, the lovebirds are loud!:muahaha:

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I have a question, just out of my own curiosity. You say you have two birds that hate each other. Wouldn't they attack each other or fight? Or do they just not acknowledge each other....:chin:
They fight like cats and dogs when each of the other invades their space.
Its more about 'not being alone' in their case.

If they can't see each other they go stir crazy... mimic what the other does in some cases. But otherwise?
Its a 'stay on your side of the room and I'll stay on mine truce.'

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I dudn't say she was crazy, and I am doing the best I can do for her
Ah, but all cockatoos are crazy! That is why we love them. ;) And again, you're doing quite well by her!