• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

What do i put on a cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Elsie just sustained a fairly decent wound to her foot. It doesn't look overly deep (as in a doubt we would do anything major to it at work), but it is large enough that i'm a bit concerned about infection. It's bleeding, but not gushing blood.

Is there something i might have at home that i can put on the cut to prevent infection? I plan to take her into work with me tomorrow afternoon, but in typical style the avian vet is on leave for a couple of weeks....starting today.

Any help would be much appreciated! Elsie is having a snuggle on my shoulder for the moment.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Cayanne pepper will stop the bleeding and disinfect.

Ginger

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I thought that's what i remembered. :) Thanks Ginger.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I was just going to say the same thing.I hope Elsie will be OK:hug8:

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Closer inspection when i put the cayenne pepper on the cut showed that it's actually really deep in one spot, it looks like it's possibly down to the bone. :(

Oddly enough, it's neither bleeding much nor bothering her much. I'll ring work first thing in the morning and see if they can squeeze Elsie in. Saturdays are always so busy. :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes cayenne pepper..please keep us posted...even a non avian vet should be able to help in this case...please keep us posted!!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
How is she doing? Have you found out how it happened? Only could it happen again if it is caused by something you do not yet know about? Good luck.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
It was Zoe. :( I was cleaning, and my back was turned for a second. Next thing i hear screaming and Zoe is hanging from the get-a-grip net by one foot, and Elsie is hanging from one toe from Zoe's beak. :( I already knew that Zoe didn't like Elsie (she's fine with the other tiels), but until tonight no harm's been done.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I'm off to bed now. Elsie is sleeping on her favourite rope swing (she kicked everyone else off it) and seems pretty much ok, though she's holding her injured foot up. :( I will let you know how she is doing in the morning.

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
once it stops bleeding, i usually just dab on some aloe vera

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh no, poor Elsie! :( hope she'll be okay, keep us updated!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hope Elsie heals up fast!

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
This morning she's keeping her weight off the foot as much as she can. Though she's still managed to climb around the cage. The blood is all dried, and he toe is bruised. I'll ring the vet in 15 mins when they open. Hopefully they can squeeze me in.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Just had a chat with my fellow bird crazy vet nurse, and he said i should just bring her in during my shift this afternoon and we can get the vet to give Elsie a shot of antibiotics. :) I'm moving her to a small cage for the day so that she doesn't feel so inclined to climb around.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Elsie's now been to the vet and had a shot of psittavet (antibiotics). We're a bit worried that some ligaments in the toe might have been severed, so she may not regain use of the toe. Otherwise the blood supply may have been reduced which might cause the tissue to die which would mean she might lose the toe. :( The only other thing we can do is try to splint the toe, but for now we don't feel that would make a huge difference to anything.

I'm now sitting her trying to decide whether to keep her in the small cage (where she's been miserable and frantic all day) or just put her back with her family. She's climbing around anyway, so the smaller cage isn't achieving what i intended it to.

Here's a pic of her toe. We didn't want to wipe it off incase we knocked the scabbing and caused it to bleed again.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If she's climbing around any way I would put her back with her family. As long as they're not in pain they will basically ignore the injury like they dont have one.

If she picks at it that's a different story.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
She's being fairly good about not picking at it, thankfully!! :)

ciesana

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
Awww, poor Elsie! Glad you were able to see the vet. I hope she heals up quickly!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
That's one nasty cut, poor girl. :(

I remember when Charlie hurt his toe nail and had to get it removed.. didn't really have a choice though.

Also, when I took Charlie to see the Avian Vet they never gave him a shot of antibiotics, oddly enough, now I find it weird because he went the next day.. luckily it didn't get infected before I took him in.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Poor Baby:( I'm glad the Vet had a look at it.I would put Her back with Her family-if it would keep Her calmer while She heals:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.