• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Do I Feed A Mynah? (Photo)

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
This caught my eye because I had always been under the impression that no one cared if one owned a non-native animal. I had been told (never researched) that if you catch a pest bird, you either euthanise it or keep it. Even a well known Australian avian vet decided to let someone raise a mynah instead of putting it down (the mynah is still a loved pet 10 years later). So I did some research and just discovered the CaLP Act which does indeed say that keeping pests as pets is not allowed. Very interesting information!
It is law pretty much Australia wide, to the best of my knowledge, that only licensed carers can keep a wild animal in their care for any length of time. For the rest of us un-licensed folk anything we find has to be taken to the appropriate place (vet or wildlife) and handed over within 48 hours. I have heard of and seen vets giving the ok on a general member of public taking a common native or feral pest species home to rear and keep, this comes down to them being softies. :p Personally i don't agree with vets making exceptions (natives should be rehabilitated via a carer, pests should be euthanised), but we all know it's a touchy topic and everyone will have a different opinion.

PsittaDragon

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Clara
It is law pretty much Australia wide, to the best of my knowledge, that only licensed carers can keep a wild animal in their care for any length of time. For the rest of us un-licensed folk anything we find has to be taken to the appropriate place (vet or wildlife) and handed over within 48 hours. I have heard of and seen vets giving the ok on a general member of public taking a common native or feral pest species home to rear and keep, this comes down to them being softies. :p Personally i don't agree with vets making exceptions (natives should be rehabilitated via a carer, pests should be euthanised), but we all know it's a touchy topic and everyone will have a different opinion.
Just did some more research to find out more about the laws in Victoria and see if the Indian Mynah was specifically listed. It was difficult information to find, but I found out that the Indian Mynah is actually not listed under the CaLP Act: Indian Mynas - Department of Primary Industries. It says that people in Victoria may capture (and/or destroy) mynahs at their discretion.

I guess that lets me off the hook? Law-wise, anyway. Whether people agree with it or not, as I said I do understand the dislike for the birds, I dislike them here destroying things myself. As you said, it is indeed a touchy topic! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My thought is, without knowing about the true situation and laws, etc, is that even if its species is being a pest - this one in your home is not. :) People think I'm crazy for loving pet rats, because they are also a pest. I just let them know with a smile that mine isn't part of the problem :D

bacardi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
ian
there quite lot foods out there first you can give him plums melon apple bannana mango papaya dont oranges fruits like that also there zoo peem low iron pellets which are small would be fine for the common myna also a company from belgium called versele-laga whic puts out these products low iron great foods for mynahs and toucans this is soft type foods with fruits too the first orlux beo patee the other is tropical patee also the put out low iron sorft bill pellets called nutribid mynah pellets there normaly some company in most parts of the world inport these produts if u cant find google there site one and ask them your agent in your country

Chirpy

Hi! I was searching the net for information about feeding a rescued common Indian Mynah here in North Australia and found this post. We are in the same position as you were and would appreciate any help/advice. We've had our bird for about a week and is about the same size as the one you first posted. He's the sweetest, friendliest little bird! I know this is a controversial topic but he is after all a bird like any other, just in the wrong country! :bliss:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Good morning and welcome to Avian Avenue! This thread is nearly a year old,so not sure if this person is still active on the forum. You can start your own thread, and will get more replies that way. Common mynas are omnivores.You need a low iron softbill pellet like Mazuri
Mazuri ZuLife Low Iron Soft Bill Diet Per/Lb - FOOD FOR SOFTBILLS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

or Zupreem makes one
Zupreem Low Iron Softbill Diet 2.5 lb - FOOD FOR SOFTBILLS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

low vit C fruit like melon, papaya, banana, berries,organic apples and grapes, and insects like mealworms
Here are some articles:
Articles

Victor Anthony

Real Name
Victor
If only the world had more people like you well done .i have just managed to rescue a little one almost exactly the same size as the one in the pictures .

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good luck