• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do I do when I first bring home a meyers?

Spooky

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
I heard that you need to not talk to them on the way home and ignore them for a week. Is this correct information? If not what should I do?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Follow the bird's lead. Is it a baby? an adult? I usually give them a day in the cage just so that they have a chance to eat and drink without getting too adventurous, but if they look like they want out I just open the door and let them have free reign. Talking to them is a GREAT thing to do!!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
That's weird advice... I spoke to all of my birds, even on the way home. It helped to keep them calm...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Congrats!
Take it from the baby. Depends on personality & socialization.
Likely it will miss its family & be scared in a new place so then back away a bit & let it settle in.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would definitely talk to him and interact with him. He may not want to be handled yet but you sitting quietly with him and talking to him will likely be comforting to him. As was suggested, you need to try to follow his lead. Some birds want to be held and want to play right away. Others need a couple days in their cage just getting used to things. If your baby is super scared, you can try covering the cage on the 3 sides just leaving the front open, so he's not on alert for danger from all three sides. And silence can be scary too. Especially if he's used to other birds and activity. So some soft music or TV during the day may help too.