• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what could it be?

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
I wouldn't give them that... Better with plain paper than paper with aluminium or some kind of chemicals on..
okay then i will give them plain papper tho they dont like it:)

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
Hard to say whether or not it's a good idea to medicate both meds as that could potentially be bad for the bird that isn't sick....

I'm worried that it's AGY and I don't think you can buy meds to treat that without seeing a vet. It can potentially be hard to diagnose and hard to treat. That is, it can take weeks or months to cure.

I'm speaking from experience, unfortunately. Had a budgie that was *probably* misdiagnosed by the first vet and the second and third vets couldn't figure out what was wrong. He still ate, still maintained weight - mostly, but he was puking (not regurgitation) and doing similar behaviors. Didn't find out what he was sick with until after doing the necropsy and in total spent around $600 on the little guy. I'd do it all again if there was any chance of figuring out what he was sick with before his passing and getting him the correct meds.
they can cure AGY here without vet with using human meds but it needs to be done before it gets terminal stage.vets arent good here they usually give antibiotics and dont know about AGY till it is too late so people started find solutions by experimenting(i dont know if it is right or not but it works).

i am not giving anything to bird next to him.i just added some ACV to his water.money isnt issue i took him to 3 vets so far none of it worked:unsure1:i might take him to university but i have exams when they are avaible so it will have to wait.i am not sure if they can help him there aswell still worths trying if he can make it.sorry about your bird:(today he seems better he isnt puking and he ate some millet.i am watching him.i didnt give med again today since he had diarrea after using but gave cold med vet gave me.i am not sure if i should keep using med for AGY i bought since he isnt puking or sneezing today after giving him 2 drops to water yesterday.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I wouldn't mix two different meds together they might not work, or kill your bird.

Antibiotics take a few days to kick in so not using them consistently will not cure him.

Why dont you tell the vet what tests you want doing? Medical science is more of an art form, everything reacts differently to treatment, just like humans.

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
I wouldn't mix two different meds together they might not work, or kill your bird.

Antibiotics take a few days to kick in so not using them consistently will not cure him.

Why dont you tell the vet what tests you want doing? Medical science is more of an art form, everything reacts differently to treatment, just like humans.
i told him i am suspicious of yeast infection since he was puking a lot then he did a test for it but told me nothing came out of it.he said he might be having trouble with breathing so he gave me med for cold.i didnt mix meds i just gave one time yesterday for yeast.today i didnt give it and gave what vet told me to give instead.i am confused if i should keep using what vet told me or what other guy told me for yeast infection.so far he didnt sneeze or puked again after i used it.but only one day passed so i am not sure.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Well if the vet hs done tests the it probably isn't it, but you can always ask for a second opinion.

Personally I would use what the vet has prescribed, but I'm not an expert by any means.

Some side effects of medication do give birds upset stomachs since its hard on their system.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OK I have said my piece and I give up.

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
Well if the vet hs done tests the it probably isn't it, but you can always ask for a second opinion.

Personally I would use what the vet has prescribed, but I'm not an expert by any means.

Some side effects of medication do give birds upset stomachs since its hard on their system.
i started to use what vet gave me.i will observe for now.he didnt sneeze today or puked so going good i guess.he is trying to get out of cage and dont want to stay in cage.he even escaped once and i had hard time to catch:bash:i hope he will be okay following days.if he is okay i will put them together again my grey bird is getting depressed alone.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Nope keep them separated. At least til the vet says they're all clear. It would be a good idea to take your other bird to the vets for a check up, they should have a crop swab taken and stool sample at least.

Youre other bird will calm down eventually.

Try to make sure the other birdie says in theyre cage.

@Lady Jane is a very knowledgeable and has first hand experience with yeast infections in budgies. Her advice she has given was very important and crucial. She has lot more experience than most regarding budgies.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I hate it when vets say an animal has a cold... no, the animal is sick and needs medications! A cold is a human virus that can't be cured with meds.

You should be treating for a minimum of 10-14 days, every day (unless otherwise noted) of whatever medication has been prescribed. Just because an animal is looking better doesn't mean that they have been "cured". I've been medicating one cockatiel for 3 1/2 months on an antifungal who doesn't even look sick, then less than that with an antibacterial med and pain meds. One pain med she's been on and off of, the other is new and I actually need to get a refill on it. She's only recently been taken off of the antifungal/antibacteria meds (longest I think I've ever treated a bird for those? Or at least it feels like it!) but is still on pain meds.

Many medications that birds receive are also prescribed for humans, horses, dogs and even cats, however it's at a lower dosage. I've sadly come across one person who accidentally killed their birds because the vet prescribed aspirin... and the human got adult aspirin instead of baby aspirin. :( So it's always best to use caution. It's good to do research, but also make sure that the vet you are seeing is knowledgeable about treating birds. (not saying current vet isn't) Even if a vet hasn't prescribed a medication that you want to use over the counter, it's always best to consult them first prior to giving it! Just to be on the safe side! (assuming vet knows enough about using that med) Talk with the vet about your concerns and best course of action.

I know you are doing the best that you can right now, so keep it up! And please listen to others, too. I don't know that your budgie has AGY and I hope he doesn't! But it kind of sounds like it! I can't recommend treating him for AGY because I'm not a vet, but I also know that AGY can be hard to diagnose from my own experience. I don't recall how many times I had the budgie tested and they never once saw AGY! I wasn't very familiar with it at the time, but I knew he was sick despite otherwise normal behavior.

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
Nope keep them separated. At least til the vet says they're all clear. It would be a good idea to take your other bird to the vets for a check up, they should have a crop swab taken and stool sample at least.

Youre other bird will calm down eventually.

Try to make sure the other birdie says in theyre cage.

@Lady Jane is a very knowledgeable and has first hand experience with yeast infections in budgies. Her advice she has given was very important and crucial. She has lot more experience than most regarding budgies.
my problem is no good avian vets around.my birds are doing okay still in general and the med vet gave me helped a bit with bad sneezing fits but still not healed.worst thing happened my grey bird is doing same stuff so vet told me to give med for both:(so now things got even more serious for me because grey one is like my baby.i wont let him die on me without doing everything i can.not like they seem like to be dying tho they are still as same as ever but after vet's med which was antibiotic for cold or something he started to shed feathers a lot and lost his tail feathers so i think vet doesnt know what he is doing he told me to use it 7 days but it has been 4 days so far not much improved and he is loosing feathers a lot idk if it is about meds so i was thinking to cut it but i heard it isnt right to cut it halfway so i will go with it:crycry2:

I hate it when vets say an animal has a cold... no, the animal is sick and needs medications! A cold is a human virus that can't be cured with meds.

You should be treating for a minimum of 10-14 days, every day (unless otherwise noted) of whatever medication has been prescribed. Just because an animal is looking better doesn't mean that they have been "cured". I've been medicating one cockatiel for 3 1/2 months on an antifungal who doesn't even look sick, then less than that with an antibacterial med and pain meds. One pain med she's been on and off of, the other is new and I actually need to get a refill on it. She's only recently been taken off of the antifungal/antibacteria meds (longest I think I've ever treated a bird for those? Or at least it feels like it!) but is still on pain meds.

Many medications that birds receive are also prescribed for humans, horses, dogs and even cats, however it's at a lower dosage. I've sadly come across one person who accidentally killed their birds because the vet prescribed aspirin... and the human got adult aspirin instead of baby aspirin. :( So it's always best to use caution. It's good to do research, but also make sure that the vet you are seeing is knowledgeable about treating birds. (not saying current vet isn't) Even if a vet hasn't prescribed a medication that you want to use over the counter, it's always best to consult them first prior to giving it! Just to be on the safe side! (assuming vet knows enough about using that med) Talk with the vet about your concerns and best course of action.

I know you are doing the best that you can right now, so keep it up! And please listen to others, too. I don't know that your budgie has AGY and I hope he doesn't! But it kind of sounds like it! I can't recommend treating him for AGY because I'm not a vet, but I also know that AGY can be hard to diagnose from my own experience. I don't recall how many times I had the budgie tested and they never once saw AGY! I wasn't very familiar with it at the time, but I knew he was sick despite otherwise normal behavior.
at least this one said he has something wrong other ones said nothing is wrong and things got worse:facepalm:i asked about it he said first i should use med he gave me so i am using it.i will take them to university for better tests but i can take them next friday because i have exams everyday and they dont do tests at weekend:(i am trying to listen all advices but there isnt much i can do when i dont have good vets around me.many people who are breeding birds told me to give them some antifungal meds+antibiotics for bacterial infections+vitamins to their water like for 200ml water 1ml from each med for 10 days but i was worried so i couldnt do it yet:unsure1:vet said some human meds work in right dosage and actually i used few days Nystatin Oral Suspension before and it cut puking issue so idk if breeders know more about them than vets in here:unsure1:sorry for your bird btw i hope she is doing better.i think it is realy suck they cant talk and say whats wrong with them.i am still suspicious of AGY so i want them to get tested again at university thats why i want to take them there.

so small update about conditions
still sneezing fits for yellow face few times a day.he is eating well and flying around a lot,flirting with everything still and no more droppings sticking to his butt.(thanks god,it was so annoying)
grey one is sneezing too like 1-2 times a day it lasts few seconds not as much as yellow one and sometimes they are wet.he is active and eating well aswell but i see him shedding unusual amount of feathers so bit worried if meds are reason for it.
i couldnt give them any vegetables or fruits or vitamin supplement for 2 weeks i think.since i started using meds because my vet told me to not give them anything when i asked if i can feed them with anything but than seeds.i guess i will try to go on like this unless something urgent happens till january 4th.my exams are really important since it is my last year otherwise i really would think to skip one and take them already because it is really annoying me when i see them sneezing during day even it doesnt effect their daily life atm.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Is your room dry? Like is the heating on, that can cause them to sneeze, you could run the shower in the bathroom and take them in there for 10 mins to try and ease their breathing. Humidity is important, i would make sure you use the whole course of meds otherwise you can create resistant strains of bacteria and fungus.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@mutlus I just wanted to say I hope he will feel better very soon. It must be so frustrating to have been to the vets in your area and get no diagnosis, or one that is too generalistic. My thoughts are with you and your flock, and I hope you will see improvement! I meant to say it must feel quite helpless for you also. Clearly you love your birds and are absolutely doing the best you can for them.

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
hello guys,
i came with good news after disappearing again because of exams.after 10 days of treatment my birds are totally okay:loveshower:i am so happy finally no sneezing anymore.i hope i wont jinx it tho i have been so happy so i was telling it everywhere:excited1:thanks for all answers.you guys are really nice:)they are changing their feathers so they are bit looking messy and i noticed my yellow faced bird has some yellow feathers on his body now mixed with his usual color.grey one still didnt change his nose color i guess it will stay purple like that:Di was expecting it to be blue like his friend soon.so i am adding a photo of them maybe if you would like to see them again:)

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's fantastic news!!!! Maybe your grey boy is just a late bloomer? Wow is his cere pink! And those vibrant yellows on your other boy! So pretty!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
They are both just beautiful! :heart:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have to agree, they really are handsome birds.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Glad to see healthy and very pretty birdies!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
okay then i will give them plain papper tho they dont like it:)
don't give them anything then. They don't HAVE to chew on paper...