• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What color?

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Thus far anything non-traditional she's said "no thanks", but I'm hoping she can't be worse than the little 2 y/o parrotlet I adopted. It took 7 weeks before she'd even taste anything other than seed, and it's now been 2.5 months and she pretty much still just spews things around (she will actually eat quinoa, oatmeal, and cheerios, but nothing else yet). Linnie apples are on my shopping list, so hopefully she will show the parrotlet how it's done! Lol. On the upside, yesterday I bought a couple types of pellets (she came with about 1 tbs of food in the dish and that's all the help I got there), and I am happy to say this evening she finally dove in and totally pigged out on both! That's on top of the seed mix she munched on all day too. Think she'll weigh 55g tomorrow? haha.
Thanks Dona and Leih for you input on this thread! Much appreciated. Oh, and Dona the baby blanket is an excellent idea!!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We will be excited to hear how things go with your "girl." Does your Linnie have a name yet?

I've written a lot on this forum about Gigi. I've got a lot of birdie experience but she is now my one and only. At 16 months she is just the right combo of sweet and sassy. I think Linnies are great but not as easy as articles would have you believe. Gigi can be hand shy, but I can tease her and put my whole hand around her. But gone are the days when she laid in a blanket and let me work on her pin feathers. She is crazy cage territorial and I'm not allowed to touch her toys or perches. I service her cage when she is on the play gym and even then I need to be careful. She may fly over and get mad, clicking, ticking, shrieking and lunging. It's funny, but pretty scary too. She often flies to my shoulder and hangs out, but if I adjust my hair or glasses, she might warn me that my hands are too close. She doesn't hold a grudge, mad one minute and sweet again quickly. She has a super wide variety of vocalizations, from the whistles I've taught her to buzzes, lasers, kisses, chortles and clicks. None are very loud. If she does a contact call, I can respond and she will stop and answer me with a soft sound. She was a clipped baby but is now a skilled flyer. She seems to be a happy, healthy, well adjusted bird. We give her lots of attention and she is thriving.

You said you have a parrotlet. I wonder how Linnie and the parrotlet will get along. Any other birds? Or birds in the past?

Also, thanks for taking the happy hut comment in the spirit of which I meant it. We are all learning and I didn't want to come across as critical. I used them for years but have been convinced against them now.

Reactions: tka

NorthernGannet

Fortunately she came with a name, Sprite, and I think it's gender neutral so either way it works :) I got her because 1) she's a Linnie! and I just don't see them too often locally. and 2) I was hoping to offer my parrotlet a pal to chat with while I'm at work (I've only had her 2.5 months). Right now I'm not sure either cares a whit about the presence of the other, but that's better than the opposite alternative. Hopefully someday in the future they can share out-of-cage space, but we'll see. There's a lot of hand training yet to be done with both. Yes I have enough previous bird experience but have not had any birds the last 5-6 years. So I'm getting back to my roots?? I'm breaking new ground because I've never had a Linnie or a Parrotlet before, nor have I ever had just two birds :) It's true: you either have one, or several+! So I'm trying to be the oddball and see how having just 2 suits me. I think it's going to be just fine.

Oh the funny thing about that stupid Hut is that when I noticed it in the pic I thought 'someone's going to comment on that!' Lol!! But actually it turned out to be useful after all: when I was trying to get her out of the cage on Sunday (first time for this) she went in the hut to avoid me. So, I just unclipped it and brought the whole thing out of the cage, bird and all, and she calmly walked out right onto the perch of the scale! It was classic.

On the same subject, she has this round fluffy rope swing thing that came with her also, she loooooves to snuggle in it. But it also seems like an accident waiting to happen? What do you think? I pulled this pic off the web, it's exactly the same. What is a good alternative? If I replace the rope with pieces of cut fleece, or is that just as bad?

Also the previous owners said she wasn't clipped, but it turns out the first 2 primaries on each wing are clipped. I know they are heavy bodied, but 2 seems like a really weird number to clip! While on the scale she did exercise her wings vigorously but made no attempt to take off. I wonder how her flying skills are.

Attachments

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Personally, I feel like anything can be dangerous in certain circumstances. I have a fleece tent for my conure similar to a snuggle hut but it's sewn with the seams on the outside and I check it often. There are rings similar to that rope one with fleece, or you can diy one, I made one! Lots of people also don't like the rope perches because of safety, while other people have them. I have them. So.... I think it's a case of see how it goes and if you think she's going to hurt herself. Sprite is a really cute name! I went to college with this cute boy with blue hair that called himself Sprite.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fortunately she came with a name, Sprite
Super cute

My original deposit was on a Lutino Linnie that I named "Pip," like pipsqueak? ahead of time. On pick up day, I had the opportunity to choose from 2 Lutinos and 1 normal green. I couldn't resist my little green girl.

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh the funny thing about that stupid Hut is that when I noticed it in the pic I thought 'someone's going to comment on that!' Lol!!
Eek, I can't tell you much that is not me. I really don't want to give anybody the low down. :(
But pretty funny how you were able to use it!

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
On the same subject, she has this round fluffy rope swing thing that came with her also, she loooooves to snuggle in it. But it also seems like an accident waiting to happen? What do you think? I pulled this pic off the web, it's exactly the same. What is a good alternative? If I replace the rope with pieces of cut fleece, or is that just as bad?
I actually have a variety of toys I use depending on how recently Gigi's nails have been clipped! Those Linnie nails grow so fast and curl too. I have a basic rope swing that I hang long toys from the middle, so Gigi can cuddle/fight with them.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Personally, I feel like anything can be dangerous in certain circumstances. I have a fleece tent for my conure similar to a snuggle hut but it's sewn with the seams on the outside and I check it often. There are rings similar to that rope one with fleece, or you can diy one, I made one! Lots of people also don't like the rope perches because of safety, while other people have them. I have them. So.... I think it's a case of see how it goes and if you think she's going to hurt herself. Sprite is a really cute name! I went to college with this cute boy with blue hair that called himself Sprite.
You are such a DIYer! I love the new picture of your set up on another thread! I wish I could talk my hub into all the stuff hanging from the ceiling. It reminds me of the YouTuber loveofpets. Her birds have a great out of the cage area.

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
You are such a DIYer! I love the new picture of your set up on another thread! I wish I could talk my hub into all the stuff hanging from the ceiling. It reminds me of the YouTuber loveofpets. Her birds have a great out of the cage area.
She definitely has been a major inspiration!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson

NorthernGannet

Hi Leih - Thanks for asking, we are doing well! Still getting to know each other, obviously, it's been 3 weeks. 3 months ago I also adopted a little parrotlet (what is it about the 3's??), so it's been really interesting observing the differences between them. Although similar in age, they had very different backgrounds and are mostly opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to just about everything! Interestingly, Sprite the Linnie is the more vocal of the two. Anyhow, Sprite has grown in a gobsmack of new feathers and is looking great. He's not too interested in apples or anything crunchy (seems weird?) aside from pellets/seed, but he likes peaches! I really enjoyed watching your vid of your boys hustling over to the millet. Sprite does everything very deliberately and slowly, I'm not sure speed is going to be his forte :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My boys didn't "frolic" for quite some time, they seemed to be very cautious. If there's millet involved, or any food, really, they will charge for it! I will say they were afraid of broccoli and strawberries for awhile. Parrotlets and linnies are total opposites, I have a lovebird and they are similar in temperament to parrotlets. They think they're a big bird in a small body! She loves nothing more than to antagonize the linnies. :cautious: Good to hear things are going well!