• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What can you tell me about mustache parakeets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikamom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joan
A friend brought me over a 3 week old mustache to hand feed out for her on Friday. I can keep the baby if I want to. I don't know much about these birds except for seeing this babies parents at her house and they are breeder birds. If I decide to keep the baby, I need to know more about them. I've been researching them since Friday and wood toys are good for them it says. Any other suggestions?
Also what kind of personality do they have?
I haven't decided yet- leaning towards keeping him but would like some personal stories about them.

Ashleigh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ashleigh
My friend has one,
I visit her from time to time.

He was very nippy and he didn't like cuddles. But he wanted to be the centre of attention. He is very playful. He got very jealous of other birds. He's an independent bird and could easily entertain himself. He is a good talker and was very clear. You could only touch him when he wanted you to. But I can say we loved that him. He hated other birds though he did get along with Alex (they had play dates). But they are VERY playful, have a lot of personaility and a bit nippy.

That's how my friends bird was like. :p

Ranyart

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
I hand fed my Schubert from four weeks and he is almost the perfect bird - Gorgeous, not loud, entertains himself well, speaks human extremely well, smart and learns tricks quickly, eats just about anything you put in front of him with much enthusiasm, friendly with strangers and other animals and birds. He has never bitten me although is not a fan of cuddling but he will accept gentle petting and when done will gently push your fingers away.

He enjoys softer wood like balsa, wicker, plastic things he can destroy, and bells, bells, and more bells. He bathes in a large lasagna dish and will swim and jump in and out for about an hour. Does well in the car and likes being outside on the deck (in a cage - we haven't mastered a harness yet which I regret not getting him used to as a youngster - learn from my mistake and do it now while he's young).

All in all he's a fantastic feathered friend. I honestly don't know why these birds aren't more popular - they are great pets!

If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask. Enjoy your little one!

pikamom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joan
Thanks for telling me about Schubert. I love the name by the way. I am planning on keeping this baby at this point. Does Schubert make a sound that sounds like he is laughing? My baby does this and it is so cute. So cute that I am leaning towards naming him Giggles. Thanks for giving me an insight into toys also- I do have a few wood toys. The baby will be 4 weeks tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.