• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Can People Tell Me About the Canary Winged Bee Bee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomsde

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Our breeder has Canary Wing Bee Bee for sale. I don't know anything about these little parrots, information on the web seems sparse. Can anyone tell me about what they are like?

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
The name 'Bee Bee' is a marketing/hobby term - you'll find a lot more information on them if you search Canary Winged Brotogeris (Brotogeris versicolurus), which is their real name. :)

Eliza

Jogging around the block
Google canary-winged and yellow-chevroned parakeet. Or genus Brotogeris. Very interesting parrots! Bigger than a parrotlet, smaller than a conure and somewhere in between in personality and temperment. I have a golden-winged parakeet (same genus, different species) from Shady Pines Aviary (where Saroj got Chickie and JoJo). LOVE my little green 'keet :) Canary-wings are probably the most readily available Brotogeris in the US. I think that they are great companions :D

Last edited:

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
The hand raised babies are cute of course, but I'm wondering about the reported aggression towards other pets. I have a GCC and Jardine--if the bird is brought home young do you think one would still try to challenge or attack the other birds?

Eliza

Jogging around the block
I can't comment on canary-wings being aggressive with other parrots/pets as I don't have that particular species. I know of people who have CWs along with other Brotogeris parakeets and other parrots so I imagine that like anything, it's a case by case basis.

AA member Jadesmom 2 CWs and other parrots, so hopefully she will comment as I'm certainly curious about her experiences!

You might find answers about that here: Brotogeris : A friendly forum for the discussion of all aspects of breeding or owning Brotogeris.(Grey Cheeks, Canary Wings, White Wings, et

FWIW, my golden-wing doesn't seem to mind other parrots BUT he doesn't seem to care for them, either. When introduced to another parrot he tends to retreat, either wanting to hide under my hair or return to his cage/carrier. If I do decide to get a second parrot (which I would like to do, eventually) they will be housed seperately and introduced slowly.

I'm not sure if you came across these broto links so I thought that I would post them:

Genus <em>Brotogeris</em>

Welcome To Brotogeris.Com!

Brotogeris Society International

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
I was at the breeders the other night visiting our baby Blue Crowned Conure and they had the Bee Bee baby out with 7 GCC--which it lives with apparently. All the birds were weaned. I thought the Bee Bee adorable and it stepped right up for me. At one point when it didn't like something that was going on in the room it chirped loudly as though protesting something. I don't really want a number 4 parrot, but this little one stole my heart--I wish I could buy him too. It would be so much easier if our Connie and he/she would be buddies and could live together, but having a 4th cage at home and the trailer for it is a bit much.

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
you might want to get in touch with Mary Ann (username Jadesmom). She has two, Dexter and Morgan.

Status
Not open for further replies.