• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What can I feed them instead?(JoJo and Chickie)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
This sunday Publix said no organic sweet chili peppers for a whole week. 75% of their fresh food is the organic sweet chili pepper. I bought the regular but since last night after a whole day on the chili peps they have been sleeping hanging off the bars. They used to sleep comfortably on a chunky willow perch. T he vet has said not too much fruit so i give them a piece of organic apple each twice a day. I'm really reconsidering giving them any more of these regular chili peppers that are causing a disturbance in their sleep patterns. I have los of organic fruit in the fridge so I'm wondering if I can feed them that instead of the chili peps for this week till they get the organic back in stock next week. They had high liver values before switching to veggies from fruit, but one week should be alright, no? I'll email the vet too. @Hankmacaw @Macawnutz

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey likes yellow and orange bell peppers.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There are lots of veggies they can try rather than more fruit. Fruit has so darned much sugar in it and is not good for liver/kidneys. Some of Jasper's favorites still are still Swiss Chard stems, beet stems and romaine lettuce. Jasper gets only a couple of blueberries a day and a piece of fresh papaya once a week or so.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Can they eat raw butternut squash?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
thanks ML and Sarah. Never thought of giving them stems. I'll stop at publix after work. Wendy, don't know about raw but I can steam it. They love sweet potato so should like it.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Still no organic peppers! They are staying hydrated with carrots instead,

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh do I have an idea for you. I buy the bell peppers, cut in half and fill with chop. Rio and Capt Jack go NUTS over them. Even when the peppers are fairly large they manage to carry them around. Makes a huge mess. I try to buy smaller ones when I can find organic.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oh do I have an idea for you. I buy the bell peppers, cut in half and fill with chop. Rio and Capt Jack go NUTS over them. Even when the peppers are fairly large they manage to carry them around. Makes a huge mess. I try to buy smaller ones when I can find organic.
Love the idea! ❤

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I actually take all 3 colors of peppers and ask which one they want. They get to pick! :rofl:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I actually take all 3 colors of peppers and ask which one they want. They get to pick! :rofl:
Bet they pick orange? Spoiled birdies! I ❤ it!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Well. Rio picks orange. CJ picks yellow but he is a baby and mostly stares into my eyes and doesn’t know what he is doing.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Well. Rio picks orange. CJ picks yellow but he is a baby and mostly stares into my eyes and doesn’t know what he is doing.
Aweeee! So cute! ❤

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
Try the mini peppers. Publix usually has those organic. I buy them and stuff with walnuts or other goodies they like. I stay away from fruit, partly because of the sugar but mostly it spoils quicker than veg. When in season, I give the birds fresh cranberries and pomagranate seeds, papaya and my GCC loves raspberries and banana. Any veg. is good, except avocado. Sugar snap peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, chard, spinach. Nuke some sweet potato, bnut squash. I have smaller birds so I nuke for a minute just to soften a bit. Anything we are eating they will get. I sprout, so they always have fresh sprouts. They like the seeds inside sweet peppers.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
thank you Barbara!
OMG people, the pesticides wore off! They are back to sleeping on their chunky willow(stripped bare) perch and are beak grinding comfortably!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Found organic bell peppers, still no sweet chili. 16FBD5F1-7AD7-422A-B8D5-B0E836505E26.jpeg