• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What camera lenses do you have? Examples please

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
Im not overly worried about having a macro, thats quite a bit down on my list, I just thought it would be pretty cool to have.

Ok here is a real question. I want a new lens as well as a flash. I cant afford both so which should I go for. I find myself starting to say flash, but then I really want a lens. I hate decision making.
Well what would you use the lens for? What does most of your shooting consist of?

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
People (senior pictures... baby pictures etc) and nature (grand canyon, mountains, ocean, trees, flowers) and then like random articulate shots (like a rusted key hole or something).

hsmoscout

People (senior pictures... baby pictures etc) and nature (grand canyon, mountains, ocean, trees, flowers) and then like random articulate shots (like a rusted key hole or something).
So are we talking the 55-200mm or a different lens?

hsmoscout

For portraits you'll need a flash and for landscapes and flowers your kit lens will do fine, although (again) I recommend a 50mm f/1.8 when you get the money for it, great for portraits.

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
why, what does it do? (can you tell I really dont know much about these lol) I found a 35mm f/1.8....

hsmoscout

why, what does it do? (can you tell I really dont know much about these lol) I found a 35mm f/1.8....
Well first of all it's only like $100, Nikon's cheapest lens. Second, it's very sharp. Third, it will get you used to zooming with your feet and other quirks of prime lenses. Fourth, it has a very wide aperture which will get you a shallow DOF to isolate subjects and give a soft dreamy look that many people want for portraits. It's a little plastic paperweight, but is a great introduction to the wonderful world of primes and just a great beginner lens. There's a good reason both Canon & Nikon make them.

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
The only 50mm I found was like $350. I might go for it if its only $100, I MIGHT be able to swing either the 200mm and the 50mm or the flash and the 50mm. I might be able to do that... maybe.

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
The only reason I hold back is because its strickly 50 mm. I dont do "sit here and be still" shots. I go outside and move around kinda shots....

hsmoscout

The only 50mm I found was like $350. I might go for it if its only $100, I MIGHT be able to swing either the 200mm and the 50mm or the flash and the 50mm. I might be able to do that... maybe.
Who's website were you looking at? :huh: If it was Best Buy, I suggest you ignore them. They have a limited selection and high prices. Here's the lens I was referring to, at the website I order all my camera stuff from: Nikon | Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens | 2137 | B&H

AkCrimson

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hillari
I second the BH Photo recommendation. I got my lens and my body from them. I actually got the lens used for 200 cheaper. So it was only 1,400 instead of 1,600 HAH!

Still under warranty though!

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
+3 on B&H. I use my 50mm a lot, it is a nice all purpose lens and I get great images with it. It is good glass for a reasonable price. I also have the 105mm VR lens and I love it! It was a b-day gift (before my hubby was laid off) and I never expected it. I have an old (manual) Tamron 200mm prime lens that I like better than the 55-200 Nikon lens I demoed. I felt like I got too much flare even with a lens hood.

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
Well im starting to take a serious look at this lens y'all, thanks a lot! lol. Right now I just feel in a pickle, I cant really decide what I want to get first. hmmmm

hsmoscout

Well im starting to take a serious look at this lens y'all, thanks a lot! lol. Right now I just feel in a pickle, I cant really decide what I want to get first. hmmmm
Photography is expensive so you have to take it one step at a time. I got my XS+kit wide angle zoom, the telephoto zoom, the "normal" (50mm) prime. Then I branched out and got my macro, and now I'm in the process of upgrading my telephoto zoom. (still need a 1.4x teleconverter so the 70-200 can fully replace my old 75-300.)

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
Ok so I plan to make a purchase this week or next. I am looking at either the 55-200mm vr, Nikon SB 600 flash, or the 50mm. The 50 mm is the cheapest and if I did that I would get a few other accessories (some filters, maybe a nicer bag, etc) but if I did the flash or the zoom I would be stuck with what I have. What should I get? I have been fighting with myself and I can not seem to make a choice....

AkCrimson

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hillari
If you are wanting to do birds, portraits, scenery, etc (as it seems you do), then go for the 50mm. IMO you would get more use out of it than the 55-200.

But I am prejudice, I have a 100-400, so when I shoot w/my boyfriends 55-200, I only get frustrated at it's lack in focal length.

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
Thanks. I am just so undecided. Every time I think I have my mind made up, I get frustrated and change it...

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.