• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What breed of canary am I looking for

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
I once had a canary that sang so much it was very annoying. I want a canary but not the same breed as I previously had. What type should I look for?

His song was beautiful but very loud & constant. I don’t want to sound ungrateful for his beautiful song but it was just too much for me.

Oh yea, he was not in a small cage. He was in a huge flight cage.

Please advise your thoughts of what I need to look for.

Last edited:

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
I've had many breeds of canaries over the years and I don't think you can predict how much they will sing

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Maybe the answer is a pair of non-breeding or same-sex finches that sing a little only. Male canaries, especially alone, are pretty persistent.

Good luck.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Males sing in order to find a mate. Especially (now) in the spring. So once they have a female in their cage they hardly ever sing. You might want to get a pair, but if you don't want to breed do not give them a nest. Give them plenty of room like you did before, just no nest/box/hut. they'll be pretty quiet then.

Or just get a girl. People never want the girls, which I find sad. They are beautiful and they don't sing but they occasionally chirp.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I have a pair. They always live together. At this time of year the male still sings almost constantly, but by summer it's much reduced and he's pretty quiet through fall and winter, just one or two songs a day.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Males sing...My Mom had them... they have different songs.. Twills wablers rolls etc or whatever but there are different songs. Sometimes you just have to listen & pick one out.

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
Thanks for all the help. I’ve decided to hold off on a canary until I know their songs better.