• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What breed does my cat look like?

Mabel

Meeting neighbors
IMG_5778.JPG IMG_5286.JPG Hello! This is my kitten, Oliver. He was from a litter , and they claimed mom and dad were both purebred Maine Coons. I didn't care for fact checking at the time because I had already made a bond with him, and didn't care either way! :loveshower:

Anyways, the boyfriend and I have noticed that he doesn't look quite Maine coon-y. We were more baffled when he was younger, but now that he is about 8-10 months his fur has started to grow thicker and longer.

Again, I really couldn't care less what "true" breed he is, because he is a great cat! But, we would like to hear your thoughts anyways :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Very pretty kitty.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Hmm... my guess is that he's one of those cute kind ;)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Tail is fluffy. As far as I know persian kittens are fluffy when they are young. Cat is pretty old at 8 to 10 months & may not get the long hair.
To me I see Siamese in the face. Beautiful tiger kitty though! Long hair is pain to keep groomed so you may be lucky....

:smuggrin:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
He looks at least part Maine Coon but is missing the tufted ears. Very cute kitty! I had a part Maine Coon too but she wasn't nearly as big as pure breds. She was about 12 lbs as an adult. How big is your guy so far? They are usually closer to 20 I think. My Bailey took about 5 yrs to grow out of kittenness too as they do. :)

ellecee

Sitting on the front steps
My Maine Coon took several years to achieve her coat. Your pretty kitty looks like a Maine Coon mix. Be careful...if he's anything like my sweet Pie was, he'll be an avid hunter, with a particular interest in birds.

My Pie (2001-2016)

IMG_5385.JPG

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Bailey was not a hunter. She tried to kill a mosquito once, lifted her paw and it flew away! :hilarious:

Mabel

Meeting neighbors
He looks at least part Maine Coon but is missing the tufted ears. Very cute kitty! I had a part Maine Coon too but she wasn't nearly as big as pure breds. She was about 12 lbs as an adult. How big is your guy so far? They are usually closer to 20 I think. My Bailey took about 5 yrs to grow out of kittenness too as they do. :)
Actually, I do know that not ALL pure maine coons have a large mane and tufted ears. Those are just some preferred traits that are bred :angel3:

Mabel

Meeting neighbors
Tail is fluffy. As far as I know persian kittens are fluffy when they are young. Cat is pretty old at 8 to 10 months & may not get the long hair.
To me I see Siamese in the face. Beautiful tiger kitty though! Long hair is pain to keep groomed so you may be lucky....

:smuggrin:
His vet said it could take up to 2 years or more to get a full coat :cat:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Maine Coon is in there but it is not purebred. Very pretty cat.